Bailey's Lament

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Bailey's Lament

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The odd thing, about dollar coins, is that people envision getting loaded down with the things, and having to lug them around. Having spent my share of time in Canada, though, where the smallest bill is a $5 and where the coins are 1, 5, 10 and 25 cents, and $1 and $2, I find that I don't get loaded down with them at all. I susally have a few in my pockets; and if I want a bottle of tonic (that's "pop" or "soda", to the rest of you) in a store I simply pull out coins instead of bills.

In this case, America leads the way by bringing up the rear.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:...

That was partly because $2 was traditionally the going rate for a tryst with a rent-a-girlfriend;
$2? :shock:

Y'all had some cheap gals. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Parvati wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:nowdays I've even had half dollars rejected by cashiers bnecause "we only take American money here".
Oh, god. *Please* tell me they were young'uns.

Along those lines, a nearby city (in a serious state of blight) started loading the change dispensers in the high-speed rail terminals with those gold Sacajawea coins. Sadly, the locals didn't realize they were legal coinage--they thought they were "tokens" for the machines that dispensed passes for the rail system.
Seriously? I love sackies and keep a few just for the look and feel, but i never ran into any trouble spending them.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:

That was partly because $2 was traditionally the going rate for a tryst with a rent-a-girlfriend;

It WAS the going rate, back around the Depression, according to my grandfather. :twisted:
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:

It WAS the going rate, back around the Depression, according to my grandfather. :twisted:
Two dollars in, say, the year 1935 translates to about $32.83 in 2011 dollars, according to the CPI calculator, here:

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

(I have no further comment.......)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Closed having run off-topic.

And I always keep a large wad of $1 dollar coins and $2 bills with me as they make great tips -- people remember you!
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -