A state unto themselves

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.

Which is more likely to incite future militia activity?

Total votes: 0

Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

I am calling for a stepup in the monitoring of the property and detaining of people entering or leaving the property - which is exactly what you have been in support of as well.
And FWIW, I have never suggested that more monitoring is needed. It's pretty obvious who is supporting the Browns and once the decision is made to start indicting, they can simply walk up to them on the street and arrest them. They're easier to arrest than the Browns because they leave the house. The government knows who they are, where they live, and where they work. And the people who live with the Browns, leave the house regularly to go shopping and run errands.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

In short, it is not a perimeter if they are allowing people to enter and leave - especially when they are using the driveway/main entrance to the property. And if they are calculating that detaining Ed Brown's visitors is going to set him off, then they are allowing the Browns to dictate the terms of their confinement.

I realize fully that this is a political decision. But that doesn't excuse the reality of the situation or the responsibility of authorities to ensure that the law is enforced and the Browns are not allowed to make a mockery of it.

So regardless of the basis of their decision, allowing people to enter the property at their will and not being searched and detained is only increasing the risk of harm, injury and death later on. Detaining these people will help isolate Ed Brown further and minimize the number of people being exposed to whatever Ed has cooked up. In this case the offense has a higher duty to ensure that happens rather than to allow more people to be exposed. And if full isolation is going to be considered a full-fledged attack, then perhaps we shouldn't risk any isolation of the Brown - restore their utilities, communications and give them access to the outside world. Then tell Ed that everything is normal and that he can turn himself in to the local jail whenever it is convenient for him if he changes his mind about the tax laws.

The local population has a right to safety and security as well. They are equally, if not more, frustrated with the tolerance that has been shown in this situation. If the Ed Brown situation devolves into the similar situation being reported in Texas (a five-year standoff, if I remember any of this correctly), then it is a sad commentary on how far whackos can thumb their noses at the law.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Demosthenes wrote:You seem to be arguing just to argue.
But of course - I came here for a good argument!*

*another successful reference to a Monty Python sketch!
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The Observer wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:You seem to be arguing just to argue.
But of course - I came here for a good argument!*
No you didn't.
Paul

Post by Paul »

*another successful reference to a Monty Python sketch!

No, it wasn't!