Government Opposes Cert. in Murphy

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: Government Opposes Cert. in Murphy

Post by Imalawman »

Quixote wrote:
the panel could not unring the bell and undo the lasting damage to the tax system caused by its original opinion.
They could have if they had explained why Murphy I was wrongly decided. Instead they left the questionable reasoning in Murphy I alone and attacked the conclusion with reasoning at least as questionable. That they arrived at the correct conclusion is fortunate. A valid argument supporting that conclusion would have made the outcome look less ad hoc.
It would not surprise me too much for this case to get cert. But not for the reasons that Murphy would like, but to straighten out this mess. I know its something of a long shot, but it still wouldn't surprise me.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Government Opposes Cert. in Murphy

Post by Famspear »

Cert. denied in Murphy, April 21, 2008, order list, page 5:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/orders/co ... 08pzor.pdf

Oh well. It would've been fun.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet