Updated CRS report on tax protesters

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
SteveSy

Re: Updated CRS report on tax protesters

Post by SteveSy »

Nikki wrote:That given, you are entitled to your opinion as to what you think SHOULD be. Unfortunately, your opinion has very little relevance with respect to what actually is.
True...unfortunately what is, is whatever they want it to be regardless of what was designed. I never said my arguments would win, in fact its a guaranteed loser. A person fighting any government bent on fleecing and controlling the people would have as much luck.

There will be a day when the federal government will either implode under its own ignorance and desire for greed and power or the people will end it. I'm betting implosion before I die....
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Famspear wrote:Unfortunately, even if that statement were true, the statement would be worth nothing. The law is what the courts rule the law to be, not what a bunch of tax protesters argue is "found in history from anyone in that era." The federal courts -- including the United States Supreme Court in its 1881 decision in Springer -- are not only better interpreters of the legal history of the Constitution than you are, Steve, the courts are also authoritative. The courts have ruled the way I say they have ruled. The forest is what I say the forest is, not what you say it is, Steve. And the trees are what I say they are, not what you say they are.
True....but then the same could be said about every single tyrannical regime known to exist or existed. Everyone loses against them in the end, even if there are insignificant little wins in the process. It doesn't matter if those contending the government is acting illegal are right or not. Governments don't attain their massive iron fist power over their people by losing to them in court.

btw, if Springer was truly binding concerning all income taxes then Pollock either overruled Springer making it meaningless or Springer did not say what you think they said. Pollock would have lost because ALL income taxes would have been constitutional as an excise tax regardless. The Springer court offered no exclusions, if in fact they were talking about every type of tax on income.

btw, the courts simply offer opinions on law, they don't make it. That's why its called an opinion. I have more access and availability to early American history (1780's - 1810) than any of the judges had in 1881 as does anyone else with an internet connection.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

.8. Do We Have a Voluntary Tax System?

I never understand the basis of argument.

Is it voluntary? Well, is that like asking, "Do we have a Voluntary Driving System?"
I can drive a car, but are the traffic laws voluntary?

Well, yes and no. I voluntarily choose to obey. I can choose not to, but there are consequences. So, I involuntarily stop at red lights? Well, for the sake of my life - I usually do.

So, back to the question. Do we have a voluntary tax system?
Compliance? Well, for the sake of my life - I usually do.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

The reason was simple, a tax that directly falls on people should be apportioned according to representation.
But the most common tax requiring apportionment, a tax on real property, does not fall directly on most of the population. It falls directly on their landlords and only indirectly on them. So that could not be the reason for the apportionment requirement.
No one can live without an "income" as the IRS has described it.
I assume you mean "as the courts describe it." Actually, many people do live without gross income. They don't live high on the hog, but they get by. If the test of direct vs indirect were the degree to which one could avoid the tax, property taxes would be indirect. Just rent. But, of course, you probably mean that the test is not avoiding the tax directly, but indirectly as well. In that case, the gasoline tax is a direct tax, because everyone pays it directly or indirectly. I know people with no gross income, but even they pay the gasoline tax.
Why would a government chose to lay a $10 per head tax, that excludes the majority of the population over a tax that taxes a majority of people every single year without having to go through all the BS that apportionment requires.
What BS is that? The last time Congress imposed a direct tax, it took Treasury no time at all to apportion it. They just took the total tax and prorated it according to the last census figures. No problem at all.
Ummm hmm that's why the only quotes that can be found in history from anyone in that era said a general tax on income would require a direct tax and not a single hint of anyone saying that an income tax falls under the indirect category.
Sure, if you ignore the Secretary of the Treasury and the house committee on ways and means who considered a tax on income in, iirc, 1814. No one objected that it would be an unapportioned direct tax. Why do you keep forgetting that?
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Quixote wrote:Sure, if you ignore the Secretary of the Treasury and the house committee on
ways and means who considered a tax on income in, iirc, 1814. No one objected that it would be an unapportioned direct tax. Why do you keep forgetting that?
Sure, how about you post some kind of link. My guess is no one said anything and it died a miserable death.

Albert Gallatin, in his Sketch of the Finances of the United States, published in November, 1796, said: 'The most generally received opinion, however, is that, by direct taxes in the constitution, those are meant which are raised on the capital or revenue of the peopel; by indirect, such as are raised on their expense.
1794 Mr. Sedgwick said that 'a capitation tax, and taxes on land and on property and income generally, were direct charges, as well in the immediate as ultimate sources of contribution. He had considered those, and those only, as direct taxes in their operation and effects.
Mr. Hamilton also argued: 'If the meaning of the word 'excise' is to be sought in a British statute, it will be found to include the duty on carriages, which is there considered as an 'excise.' ... An argument results from this, though not perhaps a conclusive one, yet, where so important ad istinction in the constitution is to be realized, it is fair to seek the meaning of terms in the statutory language of that country from which our jurisprudence is derived.' 7 Hamilton's Works (Lodge's Ed.) 333.

If the question had related to an income tax, the reference would have been fatal, as such taxes have been always classed by the law of Great Britain as direct taxes.

What BS is that? The last time Congress imposed a direct tax, it took Treasury no time at all to apportion it. They just took the total tax and prorated it according to the last census figures. No problem at all.
Before anyone listens to this nonsense...go look up how that took place and how long it took from the time it was approved until the time it was actually collected. These guys will say anything doesn't matter how absurd.
Last edited by SteveSy on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

Sure, how about you post some kind of link.
You didn't read it the last 5 times I provided a link. Why I should I believe you'll read it this time?
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Quixote wrote:
You didn't read it the last 5 times I provided a link. Why I should I believe you'll read it this time?
Whatever....

Have fun....be sure to collect that government paycheck on time, you've had to type a lot in the forums in the last few years.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

SteveSy wrote:btw, the courts simply offer opinions on law, they don't make it. That's why its called an opinion.
This is a demonstration of either supreme naivete or colossal ignorance or both. The courts have been in the business of making law in the Anglo-American judicial system for over 600 years.

As far as Stevie's semantical sophistry is concerned, I guess it means that he doesn't ever see a doctor for a medical problem because those guys simply offer artificial medical treatment. That's why they call it practicing medicine.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

SteveSy wrote:
Nikki wrote:That given, you are entitled to your opinion as to what you think SHOULD be. Unfortunately, your opinion has very little relevance with respect to what actually is.
True...unfortunately what is, is whatever they want it to be regardless of what was designed. I never said my arguments would win, in fact its a guaranteed loser. A person fighting any government bent on fleecing and controlling the people would have as much luck.

There will be a day when the federal government will either implode under its own ignorance and desire for greed and power or the people will end it. I'm betting implosion before I die....
And a person fighting any "government bent on fleecing and controlling the people" would be better served by using logic where logic is called for, and emotion where emotion is called for. Each has its place. Convulsing over what one delusionally believes to be an illegal federal income tax is neither logical nor healthy.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

And no, Steve, a court's opinion about what the law is not an opinion in the sense in which you are using the term. What I mean by that is that the court's opinion is not an opinion of fact, it's an opinion of law. And the portion of the court's opinion that is the holding in a case is "case law" - it is the law itself. That's why case law is called case law. You are quite wrong.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

SteveSy wrote: btw, the courts simply offer opinions on law, they don't make it. That's why its called an opinion....
How preposterous. In issuing an opinion, the Supreme Court in essence creates law. An example are our "Miranda Rights", which were afforded to us by the Court's decision in Miranda vs Arizona. Others here will certainly explain it more delicately and in better detail. <EDIT: See, I was right. Thank you Famspear.>
I have more access and availability to early American history (1780's - 1810) than any of the judges had in 1881 as does anyone else with an internet connection.
Apparently you haven't been using that access to good purpose. Constitutional law, statutory law, regulatory law, and common law. Go look it up. Or, you can also find a discussion of these concepts in a 12th grade "U.S. Government" textbook.
Last edited by Mr. Mephistopheles on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

SteveSy wrote:
Quixote wrote:
Whatever....

Have fun....be sure to collect that government paycheck on time, you've had to type a lot in the forums in the last few years.
That's the same response you made the last 5 times. Your refusal to accept correction would be somewhat less annoying if you would at least remember that you had been corrected.

Here, for the 6th time, is the committee's report on the proposed income tax. You will note that they did not object that it would be an unapportioned direct tax.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

SteveSy wrote:Certain taxes require apportionment. The reason was simple, a tax that directly falls on people should be apportioned according to representation.
Yet, Hylton v. U.S., 3 U.S. 171, says otherwise. Daniel Hylton owned carriages. He kept them for his personal use and he did not let them out for hire or for the conveyance of person for hire. Since he only used them for personal use, how does the tax on carriages not fall directly on the owner? Obviously, it does fall directly on the owner. Yet, all four justices that heard the case agreed that the tax was constitutional.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

And Steve:

Statements by Gallatin, Sedgwick and Hamilton are what we call Secondary Authority. A ruling by any federal district court judge (Primary Authority) on a federal tax matter is, with respect to that federal tax matter, more authoritative than any statement by Gallatin, Sedgwick or Hamilton. That's nothing against Gallatin, Sedgwick or Hamilton. That's just the way our legal system is set up. And it's always been that way -- even in the days of Hamilton! That's the way it has always worked in contracts, property, torts, criminal law, and in every other area of law. Taxation is no different. If someone were to use your method of "analysis" in court in a contract case, or a property case, he or she would be humiliated -- just as tax protesters are repeatedly humiliated in tax cases by using the kinds of frivolous arguments you raise. And make no mistake: Your arguments are not merely "incorrect" -- they're also frivolous.

You can rant and rave about history and the Founding Fathers all you want, Steve. It's not impressive, and it's not original with you. I've seen it all before -- from other people who spout the same cry-baby, whiny, anti-government, "judges are corrupt," "oh it's just not fair" tax protester rhetoric. Your method of "reasoning" is fundamentally flawed.

One of the things that drives tax protesters crazy is that the vast majority of Americans (i.e., the psychologically normal people) just don't care -- and never will care -- about all these goofy cry baby tax protesters and their nonsense tax protest whining. The normal people bitch and complain about taxes, but they pay their taxes or, if they do cheat, they don't delude themselves about what they're doing, or about the legal status of the system.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Sorry I'm late.
SteveSy wrote:I fail to see how anyone could buy into the "all transactions" are taxable by a federal excise.
And yet that is exactly what 200+ years of lawyers, judges, and legal scholars have bought into.

Go figure. What is inconceivable to you is undisputed reality to the rest of the world.
SteveSy wrote:Such a view would make the direct tax clause absolutely meaningless.
Unless Congress wanted to impose a capitation or a tax on the value of real property (or even wealth in general, per Pollock), in which case the tax would have to be apportioned.
SteveSy wrote:Whatever your view for the reason the clause was put in place would be easily circumvented by merely taxing some related transaction associated. Everything requires some sort of transaction whether it be the ownership of property, slaves whatever.
Liar. (Or FOOL! Take your pick.)

There is a transaction when property is acquired, and there is a transaction when it is transferred to someone else, but there can be years and years in between without any transaction at all.

Millions of Americans pay real estate taxes every year on homes that they have owned for years, sometimes decades. They receive no rent and pay no rent, but just live there. There is no "related transaction" for the government to tax each year except mere ownership, and the Supreme Court has consistently held from 1796 onward that a tax on mere ownership would be a direct tax that must be apportioned.

You're an idiot to try to deny it.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Hey Stevesy:

Watch out for that-- TREE!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

SteveSy wrote:
Famspear wrote:Unfortunately, even if that statement were true, the statement would be worth nothing. The law is what the courts rule the law to be, not what a bunch of tax protesters argue is "found in history from anyone in that era." The federal courts -- including the United States Supreme Court in its 1881 decision in Springer -- are not only better interpreters of the legal history of the Constitution than you are, Steve, the courts are also authoritative. The courts have ruled the way I say they have ruled. The forest is what I say the forest is, not what you say it is, Steve. And the trees are what I say they are, not what you say they are.
True....but then the same could be said about every single tyrannical regime known to exist or existed. Everyone loses against them in the end, even if there are insignificant little wins in the process. It doesn't matter if those contending the government is acting illegal [sic] are right or not. Governments don't attain their massive iron fist power over their people by losing to them in court.
No, Steve, the reason that people lose on tax protester arguments is not that the system is "tyrannical". And the reason people lose in court on tax protester arguments is not because the Government uses a "massive iron fist power" over people. What a goofy argument, Steve (this, from SteveSy, who professes to have studied American history -- from someone who seems to imply that because of the availability of materials on the internet, he somehow has better grasp of U.S. constitutional history than some of the judges or justices of the federal courts)!

In rendering decisions on federal taxes, Federal judges are not under the control or influence of the Internal Revenue Service or the Justice Department or anybody else in the federal government. Indeed, the government wins some tax cases and loses others. The government loses big tax cases all the time, and not just income tax cases. Here's one clue: Go back and look at the 2006 Form 1040, line 71. Take a wild guess as to why that line is there. Courts rule against the government in federal income tax cases all the time. If you were right, Steve, I and many other CPAs and attorneys would be out of a job -- which I am not. You are wrong.
btw, if Springer was truly binding concerning all income taxes then Pollock either overruled Springer making it meaningless or Springer did not say what you think they said. Pollock would have lost because ALL income taxes would have been constitutional as an excise tax regardless. The Springer court offered no exclusions, if in fact they were talking about every type of tax on income.
Clue #1: Springer is binding. The Court essentially ruled that a federal income tax is an indirect tax. However, see Clue #2.

Clue #2: Earth calling Steve: The Pollock decision did indeed limit, or narrow (or partially overrule, if you like) the holding in Springer (the holding that an income tax is an indirect tax)! The Pollock court held that taxes on income in the form of interest, dividends and rentals were to be treated as direct taxes (meaning that those particular income taxes were required to be apportioned). Unfortunately for tax protesters, a tax on compensation from an occupation (whether called wage, salary, bonus, or anything else) is not a tax on interest, dividends or rentals. In 1895, the Pollock court ruled that the source of the income (income from property versus income from an occupation, for example) suddenly had to be considered in determining whether the income tax (on the income from that source) was required to be apportioned. Under Pollock, the SOURCE of the income was relevant from about 1895 to about 1913. But during that period, there was still no requirement that a tax on income from an occupation be treated as a direct tax. The Pollock court expressly stated that its holding applied narrowly, and only, to one category of sources of income: income in the form of dividends, rents, and interest.

Clue #3: The Pollock holding itself, as narrow as that holding was, was itself overruled by the Sixteenth Amendment. Under subsequent court decisions after 1913, you are back to square one. No income tax is required to be apportioned.

No provision of the United States Constitution prohibits any kind of income tax whatsoever. The only substantial constitutional restriction on an income tax is the one on the mode of imposition: all federal income taxes are probably required to be imposed with geographical uniformity (meaning, presumably, that you cannot impose the tax ONLY on incomes of residents of, say, New York and Montana, and not in the other parts of the country).
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:Steve, I think your discussion stems from a basic misconception. You seem to begin with the premise that the Founding Fathers, in drafting the Constitution, were trying to PREVENT the imposition of certain kinds of taxes.
I'd like to elaborate on this a little.

A common tax protester misconception (that Sybil obviously shares) is that apportionment was intended to make certain kinds of taxes more difficult to impose. Not prevent them, but just make them impractical.

The immediate problem with this thesis is that there is absolutely no historical support for it. No where in any of the constitutional debates, or the Federalist Papers, is there any suggestion that anyone thought that apportionment would hinder the federal government in any way.

Hamilton wrote that he thought that the federal government was not likely to rely on capitations, but that was not because of apportionment but simply because the population didn't have a lot of cash with which to pay a capitation. (One of the practical advantages of an income tax is that the tax is usually imposed on someone who has just received cash with which to pay the tax.)

Taking this one step further, the justices in the Hylton decision went so far as to say that a tax that could not be easily apportioned should not be considered "direct." The unspoken implication is that the justices who decided Hylton knew that the apportionment clause was not intended to hinder the federal power to tax, and should not be interpreted to create hindrances.

Apportioning capitations and taxes on real property is easy. In the case of a capitation, you simply calculate the tax per person based on the last census and go out and collect that tax from each person you find. In the case of real property, the amount of real property within a state doesn't change, and the values can be assessed at the beginning of the year, based on historic values, so the assessment process is simply a matter of taking the total tax to be imposed within each state and dividing it by the known value of all property within the state, and then applying that rate to each property owner within the state.

But how the hell would you apportion an income tax? You can't know the actual amount of income earned during the year until all of the tax returns are filed, and what do you do about returns on extension? Or people who fail to file returns? (Real estate taxes can be assessed without tax returns because the land isn't going anywhere and can't be hidden.)

Which means that, once you realize that apportionment was not supposed to hinder tax collection, and that an income tax would be difficult to apportion, it becomes clear that income taxes should not be apportioned, as confirmed by both Springer and the 16th Amendment.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Famspear wrote:...(this, from SteveSy, who professes to have studied American history -- from someone who seems to imply that because of the availability of materials on the internet, he somehow has better grasp of U.S. constitutional history than some of the judges or justices of the federal courts)!
Yes, it's the same SteveSy who demonstrates less than a high school level of knowledge of U.S. History and Government.
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

LPC wrote:
Famspear wrote:Steve, I think your discussion stems from a basic misconception. You seem to begin with the premise that the Founding Fathers, in drafting the Constitution, were trying to PREVENT the imposition of certain kinds of taxes.
I'd like to elaborate on this a little.

A common tax protester misconception (that Sybil obviously shares) is that apportionment was intended to make certain kinds of taxes more difficult to impose. Not prevent them, but just make them impractical.
Never said that...

The reason is clear. To insure that the tax was laid according to representation.

The immediate problem with this thesis is that there is absolutely no historical support for it. No where in any of the constitutional debates, or the Federalist Papers, is there any suggestion that anyone thought that apportionment would hinder the federal government in any way.
Boy you sure do like to construct stawmen. I guess it makes you feel intelligent to make up arguments and then easily knock them down.
Taking this one step further, the justices in the Hylton decision went so far as to say that a tax that could not be easily apportioned should not be considered "direct." The unspoken implication is that the justices who decided Hylton knew that the apportionment clause was not intended to hinder the federal power to tax, and should not be interpreted to create hindrances.
Which was shown to be flawed reasoning by Supreme Court Justice Sutherland.

Using that logic as long as they made it difficult to apportion it would be an excise. For instance placing a tax on buildings valued over $X would place the majority of the tax on New York and would be very difficult to apportion.
Apportioning capitations and taxes on real property is easy. In the case of a capitation, you simply calculate the tax per person based on the last census and go out and collect that tax from each person you find.
Of course no capitation was ever laid like that. In this country no capitation even hit a majority of the population most were excluded. You guys try and convince people that a capitation is a flat all encompassing tax, they never were laid like that so your position is bogus. Capitation taxes all over the world have been laid in a graduated fashion in a lot of cases, some by status others by earnings.

In the case of real property, the amount of real property within a state doesn't change, and the values can be assessed at the beginning of the year, based on historic values, so the assessment process is simply a matter of taking the total tax to be imposed within each state and dividing it by the known value of all property within the state, and then applying that rate to each property owner within the state.
Boy you are trying really hard....

Just ask any State property tax office how easy it is, they would laugh at your statement. People contest their property values all the time. Trying to do a mass assessment of all property within the U.S. and come up with an accurate number to apportion it is not easy. Economic conditions, natural disasters, development etc etc, affect property values on a monthly basis. If the federal government tried to just use last year's figures it would never accomplish its task because so many would be contesting the values.