IRS loses landmark Boulware case

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

IRS loses landmark Boulware case

Post by Joey Smith »

- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: IRS loses landmark Boulware case

Post by Imalawman »

Very interesting. I rather thought it would go the other way.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I am not surprised a bit. It is well-settled that the Government has to prove a deficiency in an evasion case. If you take money out of your corporation in a year when it earned no profits, you are withdrawing your own capital, which is nontaxable. That the taxpayer didn't act like he was taking his own capital out goes to willfulness, not to the existence of a deficiency.

In most of these cases, the corporation almost certainly did earn a profit; all that the 9th Circuit's stupid Miller rule did was make the IRS lazy about proving that fact. Going forward, I doubt they lose many cases on this ground.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

The fact that Boulware wasn't the sole shareholder is critical, and it would seem that the diversions amounted to embezzlement, not Section 301 distributions.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

...an issue which, as I read the Supreme Court's decision, may be open on remand. It may turn on whether the government properly alleged that in the indictment. In any event, as I said above, this will probably not be a big issue in future cases; the Government will just need to ask its computational witness the right questions.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Levendis

Post by Levendis »

Imalawman wrote:
Very interesting. I rather thought it would go the other way.
I follow the rule-of-thumb that says the eventual loser fares poorly at oral argument. After reading the transcript, I thought it was clear that the government would lose. The more interesting angle is the "right to tax avoidance" referenced at taxprof. http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... urt-1.html
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Avoidance is the soul of the committee's intent.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three