Shulman's journey to become IRS Commissioner

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Shulman's journey to become IRS Commissioner

Post by Demosthenes »

March 6, 2008

FINANCE COMMITTEE APPROVES NOMINATION
OF DOUGLAS H. SHULMAN FOR IRS COMMISSIONER

Chairman Baucus still wants improvements to agency performance, IRS experience for Americans

Washington, DC – Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) and fellow
Finance Committee members today unanimously approved the nomination of Douglas H.
Shulman for Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The nomination now moves
to the full Senate for approval. During his appearance before the Finance panel on Jan. 29,
Baucus and other panel members questioned Shulman about the challenges he would face as
incoming Commissioner of the IRS, including the agency’s ability to implement the recently passed economic stimulus package, the need to capture the billions of dollars in legally owed but unpaid taxes known as the tax gap, and the issue of outdated IRS customer service technologies.

“If the Senate votes to confirm Mr. Shulman, he will have to hit the ground running. Mr.
Shulman has a big job ahead of him, beginning with the very important task of making sure
that economic stimulus checks get to millions of Americans in a timely manner,” said
Baucus. “We will support his efforts and the needs of the agency, but it will ultimately fall to
him and to the IRS as a whole to improve service and the overall IRS experience for
American taxpayers.”

Shulman is Vice Chairman of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Shulman to become the IRS Commissioner

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Talk about culture shock.

Herding cats comes to mind. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Shulman's journey to become IRS Commissioner

Post by Famspear »

Shulman confirmed by the Senate

From the Associated Press, March 14, 2008, by way of Fort Worth Star-Telegram:
Shulman confirmed as IRS commissioner

Newly confirmed Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Douglas H. Shulman said Friday he would work to ensure that the tax agency is fair, and he would concentrate both on enforcement and service.
"For the majority of Americans who pay their taxes willingly and on time, there must be clear guidance, accessible education and outstanding service," he said in a statement. "For taxpayers who intentionally evade paying taxes, there must be rigorous enforcement programs."

The Senate unanimously confirmed Shulman in the early hours of Friday morning.

Shulman has been vice chairman of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, previously known as the National Association of Securities Dealers.

He also has served on the bipartisan National Commission on Restructuring the Internal Revenue Service.

President Bush nominated Shulman to head the tax agency in November. He replaces acting commissioner Linda Stiff.

"Members of Congress are ready for a new and willing leader at the IRS who will seek to improve service to all taxpayers, and to tackle the tax administration issues that leave our country running in the red," said Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont.
See

http://www.star-telegram.com/464/story/529263.html
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Shulman's journey to become IRS Commissioner

Post by Famspear »

Statement of Commissioner Douglas H. Shulman

I want to extend my thanks to the members of the Senate and the Senate Finance Committee, especially Chairman Baucus and Senator Grassley. I also want to thank President Bush for nominating me and Treasury Secretary Paulson for his support.

The Internal Revenue Service touches virtually every adult, every business and every non-profit organization in America. It is an honor to assume the leadership of this critical agency. I recognize the great responsibility I have been given and will work to ensure that the IRS is fair, impartial and respects the rights of all taxpayers.

As Commissioner, I will concentrate on both enforcement and service. For the majority of Americans who pay their taxes willingly and on time, there must be clear guidance, accessible education and outstanding service. Our aim should be to make it as easy as possible for citizens to pay the correct amount of taxes in the most efficient and least burdensome manner possible.

For taxpayers who intentionally evade paying taxes, there must be rigorous enforcement programs.

I am looking forward to working with the dedicated and talented IRS workforce, along with the broader tax community and important stakeholders to continue to build an efficient, effective and respected IRS.
from

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 68,00.html

on March 14, 2008
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet