2d Motion for Contempt against Pete and Doreen Hendrickson

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

2d Motion for Contempt against Pete and Doreen Hendrickson

Post by Dezcad »

In addition to not filing amended returns pursuant to the District Court's judgment in the erroneous tax refund case, Pete and Doreen have also failed to abide by a DC order to respond to post-judgment discovery. Keep in mind that that this applies to Doreen as well as Pete.
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF MICHIGAN
SOUTHERN DIVISION
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Plaintiff,
-vs.- Civil Action No. 06-11753
Hon. Nancy G. Edmunds
PETER ERIC HENDRICKSON and
DOREEN M. HENDRICKSON,
Defendants.
___________________________________/
UNITED STATES’ SECOND MOTION TO HOLD DEFENDANTS
IN CONTEMPT AND BRIEF IN SUPPORT
The United States moves to hold Defendants, Peter Eric Hendrickson and Doreen M. Hendrickson, in civil contempt because they have not complied with the Court’s April 13, 2010 Order Granting Motion to Compel Discovery (docket no. 54). On January 15, 2010, the United States filed a motion to compel responses to post-judgment discovery requests (docket no. 44).
On April 13, 2010, the Court held a hearing on the United States’ motion, as well as on the United States’ motion for contempt related to the Defendants’ failure to file amended returns as ordered in the Court’s May 2, 2007 amended judgment (docket no. 46). On April 13, 2010, the
Court entered its Order granting the United States’ motion to compel, requiring that the Defendants respond to the United States’ discovery requests, served on the Defendants on or
about November 18, 2009 and which were also attached to the United States’ reply in support of
its motion to compel (docket no. 50), within 30 days of the Order. As of May 24, 2010, more
than thirty days have passed and counsel for the United States has not received any responses to the discovery requests. (Declaration of Daniel Applegate ¶ 2.)

The Order advised the Defendants “that failure to comply with this Order will subject them to sanctions pursuant to Fed.R.Civ.P. 37(b)(2)(A), including treating their non-compliance as contempt of court.” Because judgment has already been entered against the Defendants and the discovery requests are post-judgment requests by the judgment creditor to ascertain the financial status of the debtors, the United States requests that the Court sanction the Defendants under Rule 37(b)(2)(A)(vii) by holding the Defendants in contempt and imposing a daily fine until the Defendants provide to counsel for the United States complete and accurate responses to the United States’ discovery requests as ordered by this Court.

Respectfully submitted,
BARBARA L. MCQUADE
United States Attorney
s/ Daniel A. Applegate
DANIEL A. APPLEGATE (P70452)
Trial Attorney, Tax Division
U. S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 7238, Ben Franklin Station
Washington, D.C. 20044
Telephone: (202) 353-8180
Fax: (202) 514-6770
Daniel.A.Applegate@usdoj.gov
bmielke

Re: 2d Motion for Contempt against Pete and Doreen Hendrickson

Post by bmielke »

Can you go to jail for civil contempt?
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Well, here's another fine mess for Family: Blowhard to deal with.

And, yes, you can go to jail for civil contempt. In civil contempt incarceration, the recalcitrant, stubborn BlowhardMeister (or Mrs. BlowhardMeister, or both as the case may be) would hold the keys to the jail cell:

Comply with the court order, and you can get out of jail.

EDIT: My request for the sleeping arrangements for the Fabulous Felon and his Feminine Follower:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Prison

Well, I can dream, can't I?
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Famspear wrote:Well, here's another fine mess for Family: Blowhard to deal with.

And, yes, you can go to jail for civil contempt. In civil contempt incarceration, the recalcitrant, stubborn BlowhardMeister (or Mrs. BlowhardMeister, or both as the case may be) would hold the keys to the jail cell:

I feel bad for the kids if Mrs. Blowhardmeister goes to jail, she'll scream about being a political prisoner and refuse to cooperate for a while, if ever, (i imagine) I wonder if Uncle Jack will take them in?
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:And, yes, you can go to jail for civil contempt. In civil contempt incarceration, the recalcitrant, stubborn BlowhardMeister (or Mrs. BlowhardMeister, or both as the case may be) would hold the keys to the jail cell:

At this stage, it looks like the government is only asking for a daily fine, and not incarceration, but when (not if) the fine fails to achieve the desired result, the next step will be imprisonment.

So it looks like both Doreen and Peter will be going to jail, but Doreen will be able to get out.

In some ways, Doreen is more likely to be incarcerated for civil contempt than Peter, for the simple reason that Peter is already going to jail for his criminal conviction and so coercive incarceration is unlikely to be effective. But I think that Peter will eventually comply in order to get Doreen out of jail.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

LPC wrote:
Famspear wrote:And, yes, you can go to jail for civil contempt. In civil contempt incarceration, the recalcitrant, stubborn BlowhardMeister (or Mrs. BlowhardMeister, or both as the case may be) would hold the keys to the jail cell:

At this stage, it looks like the government is only asking for a daily fine, and not incarceration, but when (not if) the fine fails to achieve the desired result, the next step will be imprisonment.

So it looks like both Doreen and Peter will be going to jail, but Doreen will be able to get out.

In some ways, Doreen is more likely to be incarcerated for civil contempt than Peter, for the simple reason that Peter is already going to jail for his criminal conviction and so coercive incarceration is unlikely to be effective. But I think that Peter will eventually comply in order to get Doreen out of jail.
Do you really think so; or is it more likely that Petey is so convinced of the Righteousness Of [His] Beliefs that any compliance with the court orders will trigger application of the statutes that hold Americans in slavery to the IRS, or something like that? After all, he has never wavered from contention that his interpretations of the relevant facts and laws are correct; and it only remains for the right court (aided, I suspect, by the Righteous Wrath of We, The People) to provide legal recognition of this... "fact".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

bmielke wrote:Can you go to jail for civil contempt?
As already mentioned, the answer is "yes". Keep in mind that the other Motion for Contempt (dealing with the failure to file amended returns) was ruled on by the Magistrate, with the following recommendation:
I THEREFORE RECOMMEND as follows:
(1) That Defendants be ordered to appear before the Honorable Nancy G. Edmunds upon a day certain to be set by the Court, to show cause why they should not be adjudged in contempt by reason of the facts certified in this Report and Recommendation;
(2) That if, by the date of the show cause hearing, Defendants have not filed amended tax returns for the tax years 2002 and 2003, as ordered by this Court, they be found in contempt of court and subject to sanctions for civil contempt;
(3) That as part of these sanctions, the Court impose a conditional fine of $100.00 per day on each Defendant, until they comply with this Court’s order to file amended returns;
(4) That if the Defendants have not filed amended returns within 14 days of the imposition of per diem fines, they be ordered incarcerated until they comply with this Court’s Amended Judgment and Order of Permanent Injunction of May 2, 2007.
And don't forget about H. Beatty Chadwick, who was incarcerated for 14 years for civil contempt.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Just wondering, am I correct in thinking that IF Pete is jailed on the contempt, his regular criminal sentence is not begun until he clears the contempt?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:Just wondering, am I correct in thinking that IF Pete is jailed on the contempt, his regular criminal sentence is not begun until he clears the contempt?
Let us hope so. I don't know if anyone will ever break his arrogance; but a nice long stretch in civil confinement may be the judicial system's only hope of doing so....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
Gregg wrote:Just wondering, am I correct in thinking that IF Pete is jailed on the contempt, his regular criminal sentence is not begun until he clears the contempt?
Let us hope so. I don't know if anyone will ever break his arrogance; but a nice long stretch in civil confinement may be the judicial system's only hope of doing so....
I second that. It would not make sense to have the criminal sentence run concurrently with a confinement for civil contempt; concurrency would provide no incentive at all for the Fabulous Felon to comply with the court's order.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
Let's see the current record is 14 years? Anyone else hoping Petey goes for the gold?
LPC

Post by LPC »

j
I don't know, but I suspect not, and that the criminal sentence may supersede the civil contempt.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

LPC wrote:
j
I don't know, but I suspect not, and that the criminal sentence may supersede the civil contempt.
That would be my suspicion as well. BTW - isn't there a one year limit on civil contempt incarceration? I thought there were some constitutional limitations on civil contempt incarceration. Am I imagining this?
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Imalawman wrote: That would be my suspicion as well. BTW - isn't there a one year limit on civil contempt incarceration? I thought there were some constitutional limitations on civil contempt incarceration. Am I imagining this?
Yes, you are. As I referenced earlier:

H. Beatty Chadwick, who was incarcerated for 14 years for civil contempt.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

Dezcad wrote:
Imalawman wrote: That would be my suspicion as well. BTW - isn't there a one year limit on civil contempt incarceration? I thought there were some constitutional limitations on civil contempt incarceration. Am I imagining this?
Yes, you are. As I referenced earlier:

H. Beatty Chadwick, who was incarcerated for 14 years for civil contempt.
Richard Fine (14 months and counting) has been in the news lately as well.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:I don't know, but I suspect not, and that the criminal sentence may supersede the civil contempt.
Actually, Dan, it's the other way around.
Although the statute says nothing as to the effect of this confinement upon the service of a prior criminal sentence, a concurrent service of both terms would obviously frustrate the purpose of the statute and provide no motivation for the cooperation of the witness. Although no case in this circuit has held that a district court has the power to stay the prior federal criminal sentence, there is ample authority, including decisions by seven other circuit courts, supporting a finding of such power in the district court.[FN1] Indeed, no circuit which has addressed the issue has held otherwise.
United States v. Dien, 598 F.2d 743 (2d Cir. 1979) (and the cases cited in ftnt 1).
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

Imalawman wrote:isn't there a one year limit on civil contempt incarceration? I thought there were some constitutional limitations on civil contempt incarceration. Am I imagining this?
There is an eighteen month limit on civil contempt incarceration for refusing to testify before a federal grand jury, but only because that is the term of the grand jury. There is a line of cases adopting that rationale in holding that one cannot be incarcerated for civil contempt once circumstances show that the coercion (for whatever reason) will not be effective. Other than that - no, there is no specific limit. I don't have time right now to look up the cases, but I'm pretty sure that's the law.

I think Pete should be a test case.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

wserra wrote:
Imalawman wrote:isn't there a one year limit on civil contempt incarceration? I thought there were some constitutional limitations on civil contempt incarceration. Am I imagining this?
There is an eighteen month limit on civil contempt incarceration for refusing to testify before a federal grand jury, but only because that is the term of the grand jury. There is a line of cases adopting that rationale in holding that one cannot be incarcerated for civil contempt once circumstances show that the coercion (for whatever reason) will not be effective. Other than that - no, there is no specific limit. I don't have time right now to look up the cases, but I'm pretty sure that's the law.

I think Pete should be a test case.
Maybe that's what I was thinking about. But in any event, thanks for the info!
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Okay, after I asked the question, I recalled a case mentioned here somewhere that civil (or maybe criminal) contempt was limited to 6 months, and after that the Judge had to charge the offender...or something like...am I having flashbacks again?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:
LPC wrote:I don't know, but I suspect not, and that the criminal sentence may supersede the civil contempt.
Actually, Dan, it's the other way around.
Glad to hear it. I'd like to see Hendrickson (et ux) spend time in jail for civil contempt, finally comply (maybe), and *then* start to serve his criminal sentence.
Dan Evans