Schiff Loses!

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Schiff Loses!

Post by LPC »

A question about Irwin Schiff in another thread caused me to look at my summary of his cases on "Tax Protester Dossiers," which caused me to realize that there was still a reported Tax Court case pending, which caused me to look at the Tax Court docket, where I found that Schiff had lost a motion for summary judgment in March.

The case was a collection due process dispute, and the government was granted summary judgment on the grounds that Schiff collaterally estopped from contesting IRS collection efforts by reason of the decision in United States of America v. Irwin A. Schiff, No. CV-S-01-0895-PMP(LRL) (U.S.D.C. Nev. 7/12/2004), affd. 240 Fed. Appx. 738 (9th Cir. 2006).

The District Court case relied upon by the Tax Court was the action brought by the IRS to reduce Schiff's various tax assessments to a judgment against him. Schiff opposed the assessments for civil fraud on the grounds that his actions were irrational and the result of a “mental disease or defect,” so that he was unable to act “willfully” within the meaning of the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code relating to tax fraud.

The following is the gist of the March Tax Court decision:
In an Amendment to Answer filed October 21, 2010, and in the presently pending motion for summary judgment, respondent relies on collateral estoppel based on the judgment of the United States District Court for the District of Nevada entered July 12, 2004, in the case of United States of America v. Irwin A. Schiff, CV-S-01-0895-PMP(LRL), affd. 240 Fed. Appx. 738 (9th Cir. 2006).

In the moving papers, respondent cites relevant authorities concerning collateral estoppel and analyzes appropriate factors for application of that doctrine. Respondent's motion also refutes petitioner's contentions in this case concerning the verification requirements under Internal Revenue Code section 6330 and cites relevant authorities supporting respondent's position that the requirements of that section were satisfied.

As to many of petitioner's contentions, including contentions as to tax return filings and assessment and collection procedures to be verified under section 6330, the Court found in an Order dated August 2, 2010, that "virtually all of the statements, contentions, and/or arguments" that petitioner made in his then pending cross-motion for summary judgment were frivolous and/or groundless. Petitioner repeats those same arguments in his objection to the presently pending motion. Those arguments are not worthy of further consideration or response.

Petitioner's objection to respondent's motion does not address the authorities cited by respondent with respect to collateral estoppel but instead attempts impermissible collateral attacks on the District Court judgment and on petitioner's prior criminal conviction, which led to his present incarceration. Petitioner reasserts his long held frivolous position that no law makes him liable for income tax and repeats other meritless demands that he presented to the Appeals officer in the underlying administrative proceedings. During those administrative proceedings, petitioner did not propose any collection alternatives or raise other bona fide issues with respect to the propriety of the collection action. He merely disputed his underlying liabilities with frivolous arguments and demanded that the Appeals officer provide certain forms of verification based on petitioner's erroneous views of the law. In response to respondent's citation of cases refuting his contentions as to procedural requirements of section 6330, petitioner asserts in his objection that this Court's precedents showing the erroneous nature of his arguments are not binding on him. We decline to dignify petitioner's disregard of controlling authorities by engaging in a debate with him. His history of litigation, including the record in this case, shows that he simply refuses to acknowledge the adverse rulings of the courts.

The validity of the assessments underlying the proposed collection actions in this case has been litigated and decided against petitioner in the above-referenced District Court action, and he is collaterally estopped from challenging those assessments. Petitioner has not shown any genuine dispute as to a material issue of fact or that summary judgment may not be entered as a matter of law. Upon review of the entire record, summary judgment is appropriate.
Irwin A. Schiff v. Commissioner, No. 21322-07L (U.S.T.C. 3/10/2011).
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Re: Schiff Loses!

Post by Dr. Caligari »

What is this for Schiff, loss #1,332? Or did I lose count somewhere?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

Living in the Las Vegas area, I grew used to Schiff and the antics of his followers. Here's a few interesting tidbits about the man and his cult:
- When his leased-time radio show was on, his followers would stand on street corners holding signs reading "PUBLIC ALERT! TUNE YOUR RADIO TO 1230 AM". Anyone doing so would hear Schiff spouting off on Radio station KLAV.
- Schiff would often be seen at local gun shows, not only hawking his books, but also conspicuously appearing to be doing further research, often giving an "AHA!" and telling any of his adoring fans nearby that he had "found" another bit of proof that the Federal income Tax was either illegal or unconstitutional.
- Upon his latest arrest, his followers interrupted the trial several times with assorted complaints from the audience, often using claims from the "sovrun" notebook.
- During said trial, and after Schiff was found guilty, death threats were made against both the judge and the prosecuting attorney.
- Also during said trial, the tires on said prosecuting attorney's car were slashed, and someone found the phone number of one of the jurors and tried to convince said juror to find Schiff not guilty.

Now, his bookstore (444 East Sahara Ave.) is the site of Vegas Flooring & Interiors Inc., and his followers are insisting he is some form of "political prisoner".

http://www.freeirwinschiff.org/
http://openyourmindseye.blogspot.com/20 ... soner.html
http://irwinschiff.homestead.com/POWaddresses.html
http://gothinkblog.com/gblog/?p=477
http://infowars.net/articles/june2007/150607Schiff.htm

:roll:
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Menachem Mendel Schneerson, head of the lubavitchers, a strongly traditionalist sect of Judaism, has been dead for 17 years, and there are still people expecting him to return as the Messiah.

Schiff is strictly small time in the cult of personality business.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I particularly liked the quote,
....shows that he simply refuses to acknowledge the adverse rulings of the courts.
pretty well sums up Schiff in a nutshell, pun intended. I knew he was trying the mentally impaired when it suits me defense, but thought it had been officially shot down, guess now it has, not that I don't think Shifty is nuts, just not within the meaning of the act.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

LPC wrote: .....Schiff opposed the assessments for civil fraud on the grounds that his actions were irrational and the result of a “mental disease or defect,”.....
Appearing Pro se to argue that has its pluses and minuses. :thinking:
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Why the exclamation mark in the caption? The exclamation would be if Schiff didn't lose.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

fortinbras wrote:Why the exclamation mark in the caption? The exclamation would be if Schiff didn't lose.
It's called sarcasm. We use it quite a bit around here.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Schiff Loses! Dog bites man! Film at eleven.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Rather like the ship sank!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Who cares? Schiff is soooo 1990's.... :D

I am wondering if there's going to be another popular tax scam artist appearing soon. It seems that it's about time. I think Demo is anxious for one because she needs another excuse for the delay of her "book".
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Imalawman wrote:Who cares? Schiff is soooo 1990's.... :D

I am wondering if there's going to be another popular tax scam artist appearing soon.....
:shock:

But.... but.... but.... you mean..... Uncle Irwin is yesterday's news? (Gulp!).... But, Uncle Irwin was.... well, you know.... he was my first tax protester....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3460

:cry:

.....You alway remember your first time.....

And now, yer tellin' me he's all washed up????

(sigh.....)

:|
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet