Richardf614 displays his skill at legal analysis

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: Richardf614 displays his skill at legal analysis

Post by grixit »

Dr. Caligari wrote:Not Richard, but another genius at LH posted this gem (beverages down, please):
hello: anyone have a fast track on the process of filing a writ of mandamus, looking to do it asap and dont feel like spending weeks trying to cover stuff that you all might have gone through already.
Yeah, that's how you win a revolution, look for a half assed shortcut.

Remember how Lech Welesa didn't want to keep doing mass demonstrations over and over, so he just sent photographs of people holding signs to government officials? And how Fidel Castro asked the Batista forces to please use the same road all the time so he wouldn't have to set up multiple ambushes? And the way George Washington wouldn't get out of bed until he was assured of a fast track for meeting the british army?

Being willing to die for your cause is one thing, but God forbid you should sweat for it!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Still more idiocy from Richardf614:
There are many areas the Quatloos posters fail to address.

They never explain the 30 states and local agencies that accept and process CTC returns. They never address the returns that are filed that ultimately release levies/liens. These returns are definitely examined with a fine tooth comb, before the releases are issued.

If, it was just a matter of information return matching and timing was the issue, their arguments might have merit. This is not the case and many situations are complex and the filer had prior problems, before filing CTC.

You can be assured that the service has a system in place to catch CTC returns and this is not a goof on their part. If, they are approving these returns and placing them in a SOL file to take action, before the SOL expires, this would make no sense as the workload would be so overwhelming the SOL would expire, before the blanket actions could be completed.

Amended returns are handled completely different from original returns. They have all the original information on hand to examine the amended return to either accept or reject the changes shown on the amended return. NO HONOR SYSTEM HERE! If, an amended return is accepted using the CTC knowledge, then it passed the test! If, it applied to the amended return, then it applies to the original return.

Selected arguments do not explain away a properly filed return, the facts speak for themselves.
http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... bccbc#4235

Dear Richard: You are simply re-hashing what we at Quatloos have already refuted. Merely denying that we are right gets you nowhere.
They [Quatloos regulars] never explain the 30 states and local agencies that accept and process CTC returns.
Richard, since the IRS itself processes these fraudulent returns (and thousands of other fraudulent returns using othe fraudulent theories), what makes you think that the fact that "30 states" process similar returns (if indeed that is what happens) somehow makes the CtC refund claims (or the CtC scam on which the claims are based) valid from a legal standpoint? We've already been over this.
They [the Quatloos regulars] never address the returns that are filed that ultimately release levies/liens. These returns are definitely examined with a fine tooth comb, before the releases are issued.
(bolding added). Richard, you are in denial. I believe that you realize that what you wrote above (especially the bolded part) is not true. Statements like the one quoted above may some day be used against you. You are not being honest with yourself, and you are not being honest with your fellow loserheads over there.
NO HONOR SYSTEM HERE! If, an amended return is accepted using the CTC knowledge, then it passed the test!
More baloney. Try to sell it to Irwin Schiff or somebody else like that. And I've still got a big orange bridge in San Francisco to sell to you, Richard. Cheap.
You can be assured that the service [the IRS] has a system in place to catch CTC returns and this is not a goof on their part.
Baloney. Richard, you are in denial. You are trying to tell yourself and other loserheads that the CtC scam is not really a scam. If you are using CtC, you are engaged in a criminal activity. This is not a game, fella. If the IRS ever finds out your real identity, the may well use your statements against you.
Selected arguments do not explain away a properly filed return, the facts speak for themselves.
Somehow the statement that "the facts speak for themselves" in this context reminds me of the statement that "figures don't lie." The response to the statement that "figures don't lie" is to say that "figures don't lie, but liars figure."

Yes, sometimes the facts speak for themselves: Ex-con Peter Hendrickson cannot even use his own CtC scam on his own tax return without violating a federal court order. Regarding the federal tax refund/credit that Hendrickson claimed in his own case -- well, Hendrickson lost his own case.

And every person who has litigated CtC has lost his/her case. Every single one. Without exception. CtC is a scam, and CtC is legally frivolous.

We at Quatloos have the facts, while you, Richard, you and your fellow scammers, have your fantasy.

This is not a game, Richard. Yes, "the facts speak for themselves."
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

In another thread at losthorizons, a user called "ricmo" writes:
We have filed a "correct" tax return for the last 3 years and now for 2007 and today the IRS called my wife's employer and later faxed forms requesting that her HR department verify her salary. Of course she is nervous about these actions. Has anyone gone through this? We have recieved no refunds so far.
Richardf614 responds:
They [the IRS employees] are comparing information returns, the payer can confirm the amount, but the classification is the payer's presumption. The IRS likes to consider the payers presumption as conclusive and likes to ignore the recipients rebuttal.

This action never satisfies the rules of evidence. Just relax and wait for further information.
http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... 575b215dad

Richard, without getting into whether "this action" satisfies the "rules of evidence," I hope it doesn't come as to much of a shock to you, but the rules of evidence don't apply yet. Reason? The taxpayer is not in court. There is no requirement that the IRS satisfy the Federal Rules of Evidence in determining a deficiency in federal income tax. It's an administrative action, not a judicial proceeding.

And the IRS can determine the tax and collect the tax without having to sue the taxpayer in a court of law. If the taxpayer wants to contest the IRS determination of deficiency, the taxpayer must file a lawsuit. And, in that lawsuit, the burden of proof is on the taxpayer; the IRS deficiency determination is presumptively correct.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

Sorry I haven't been able to contribute to this thread before. When I try to post from work, I get a "page not found" response.

In typical TP fashion, Richardf614 was upset that I got his name wrong, but completely ignored the substance of my post. I apologize for misidentifying him. I remember someone else making the same association and wrongly assumed that it was correct. It has, however, no bearing on how very wrong Richardf614's analysis almost invariably is.
today the IRS called my wife's employer and later faxed forms requesting that her HR department verify her salary. Of course she is nervous about these actions.
They [the IRS employees] are comparing information returns, the payer can confirm the amount, but the classification is the payer's presumption. The IRS likes to consider the payers presumption as conclusive and likes to ignore the recipients rebuttal.

This action never satisfies the rules of evidence. Just relax and wait for further information.
The "recipients rebuttal" in this case will be ignored, because it is internally inconsistent, and therefore clearly wrong. In this case, the IRS is not comparing information returns. The IRS has no information returns for 2007 yet. The IRS knows that either the amount of wages or the amount of withholding credits reported on the Form 4852 filed with the return is wrong. They contacted the employer to find out which. If, as I suspect, it is the wages that are wrong, IRS will suggest that the taxpayers file a corrected return and hold the refund until one is received and processed. The IRS cannot issue a refund until it determines that an overpayment exists and the amount of the overpayment. IRC 6402. The return they have is wrong on its face, so until they get a return from which the overpayment can be determined, there will be no refund.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

You can be assured that the service [the IRS] has a system in place to catch CTC returns
That could be true. As I have noted on another thread, very few CTC refunds are being mailed out. What Richardf614 may have meant to write is "the service [the IRS] had a system in place to catch CTC returns." That is clearly not the case.
We have filed a "correct" tax return for the last 3 years and now for 2007 and today the IRS called my wife's employer and later faxed forms requesting that her HR department verify her salary.
That certainly suggests that the IRS is catching CTC returns filed for 2007. Better late than never.
the facts speak for themselves
Yes, and the fact is that more and more CTC filers are being assessed the $5,000 frivilous return penalty, as seen from the posts on LH.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

In response to another fraudulent tax refund "victory" for a scammer over at losthorizons, Richardf614 writes:
Good Going!

I guess another [IRS] agent did not get the memo! Another return slips through the
cracks[,] according to our detractors [referring to Quatloos regulars and our comments about how the IRS processes tax returns]. The [IRS] Frivolous Return Department missed another one too! When will the [Internal Revenue S]ervice get up to speed?
[followed by the "wink" emoticon]

http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... =4486#4486

Ha, ha, yeah, yuk yuk. Pretty funny, Richard. Why don't you ask Peter Hendrickson if he thinks his court defeat is funny? And while you're at it, ask the other LoserHeads at losthorizons who have lost their court cases whether they think their court defeats are funny.

Richard: If, after having been told the truth, you persist in believing (or claiming to believe) that Cracking the Code is not a scam, and you use or continue to use the CtC scam to file false tax refund claims, then don't come crying if you end up being crushed and mangled in the hungry, insatiable jaws of the federal tax collection machine.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

For the CtCer, which would be more appropriate.

IRC 6702

or

IRC 6676

Just a thought
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Now, Richardf614 writes:
My GOD! These errors [IRS issuances of erroneous tax refunds to CtC fraudsters] are getting out of hand! The Federal & state examiners are letting thousands of CTC returns slip through the cracks.

You guys at Quatloos had better call your buddies in government, [sic; the comma after "government" should be a semi-colon] the employee intelligent [sic; should be "intelligence"] level in these departments are [sic; the "are" should be "is"] below standards. Their mistakes are overwhelming!

Good going byrdman, just could not help myself sticking it to the parasites.
(bolding added)

from
http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... =4496#4496

That's the spirit, Richard. Keep laughing. And work on your spelling, punctuation, and subject-verb agreement. All three are below standards -- as is your "moral code".
Quixote

Post by Quixote »

the employee intelligent [sic; should be "intelligence"] level in these departments are [sic; the "are" should be "is"] below standards. Their mistakes are overwhelming!
I don't know about other IRS processing sites, but Austin uses UT students working just during the filing season to handle the overload. Their intelligence is on a par with most college students, i.e., higher than at LH. Their errors result from lack of experience (even the most experienced will have worked 3 months a year for 4 years) and the workload. They aren't paid to think; they're paid to transcribe data.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

CaptainKickback wrote:You know, it is nice of the CtCers to post their victories and pictures of the checks - it makes the IRS' job so much easier when they eventually drop the hammer on the clowns. :twisted:

And if you notice, it is for really small (frankly, chickensh*t) amounts, for the most part.

Such petty little thieves and frauds. Small, slow minds easily amused and entertained by a few dollars of "victory" achieved by lying and cheating. And I bet they all consider themselves "good Christians" too.
This is a tangent, but this reminds me of something.

Back in the early 1970s, there was a popular T-shirt in the women's liberation movement (i.e., now known simply as the "women's movement") that bore the inscription "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." I had a female acquaintance (who was very liberal politically), who sometimes wore that shirt. (Side note: I myself am a member of that particular species of markedly superior political beings that folks like Rush Limbaugh -- and like Ralph Nader -- probably disdain: am a confirmed moderate.)

Anyway: Possessing, even at that early age, a rudimentary sense of the importance of keeping my mouth shut around a beautiful woman when doing so might serve my interests, I of course never bothered to point out to her that we never saw MEN with T-shirts saying "A man without a woman is like a fish without a bicycle". If the liberated women who wore the "fish without a bicycle" shirts were so liberated, so independent of men, then why did they feel the need to wear such a shirt?

Similarly, I am amused by how many tax protester half-wits there are who seem to want to select internet web site user names with variations of terms like "truth seeker" or "patriot", etc. - with no apparent consciousness of how Freudian, how transparently dishonest, that looks to psychologically normal people.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Brilliant legal scholar that he is, he's at it again with his selective reading of case law.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Yup, that's tp for you, always bringing a rubber chicken to a gun fight.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

grixit wrote:Yup, that's tp for you, always bringing a rubber chicken to a gun fight.
Great point, grixit!

A sample of Richard's rubber chickens, which are the usual mindless “copy and paste” materials from other tax protester web sites:
“Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because of their respect for what only appears to be law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their rights due to ignorance.” U.S. v. Minker, 350 US. 179, at 187.
Yeah, so what? There IS a lawful command to file federal tax returns and pay federal taxes, and there are civil and criminal penalties for willful failure to timely do so. And nothing in the Minker case says anything different. Minker is not even a federal tax case. It’s not a tax case at all. Taxes are not even discussed. The word “tax” does not even appear in the text. Great going, “Richard.” As rubber chickens go, this one isn't even very good quality rubber.
"Whatever difficulty that may be about a precise and scientific definition of "income," it imparts, as used here, something entirely distinct from principal or capital either as a subject of taxation or as a measure of the tax, conveying rather the idea of gain or increase arising from, corporate activity." - Dole v. Mitchell Bros. Co. 247 U.S. 179 (1918)
Tax protesters love to cite this case. Over and over.

It’s “Doyle,” not “Dole.” In Doyle v. Mitchell Bros. Co., 247 U.S. 179 (1918), the taxpayer was a corporation engaged in the manufacture of lumber. In 1903, the taxpayer purchased certain timber land at a cost of about $20 per acre. As of December 31, 1908, the value of the land had increased to about $40 per acre.

The Corporation Excise Tax Act of 1909 was enacted on August 5, 1909, and was effective retroactively to January 1, 1909. For the years 1909 through 1912, the taxpayer filed tax returns under the 1909 Act, showing gross receipts from the sale of manufactured lumber and, in arriving at the amount of net income subject to tax under the 1909 Act, deducted an amount based on the $40 per acre value, rather than the actual cost of about $20 per acre.

The Commissioner of Internal Revenue argued that the taxpayer should be able to deduct only an amount based on the taxpayer’s historical cost basis of $20, rather than the $40 fair market value at the time the 1909 Act became effective. (Essentially, if the taxpayer were allowed to use the $40 per acre value as its basis rather than the actual $20 historical cost basis, a portion of the taxpayer’s gain -- the increase in value from 1903 to December 31, 1908 -- would go untaxed.)

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled, however, that under the 1909 Act – which had become effective January 1, 1909 -- the taxpayer should be taxed only on the increase in value after 1908. Increases in value prior to the effective date of the statute were not to be taxed under the terms of that statute. Thus, the taxpayer was entitled to deduct, from its gross receipts from the sale of finished lumber, a basis amount computed with reference to the $40 per acre value as of December 31, 1908.

One key point missed by Richard and other tax protesters is that this case involved statutory construction, not constitutional interpretation. In this case, the Court was interpreting the 1909 statute. No issues involving the constitutional definition of income, or of income under any other tax statutes, were presented to or decided by the Court.
”Of Course, gross income and not gross receipts, is the foundation of income tax liability, for it is only earnings, profits and gains which the statute subjects to tax." - Clark v. U.S. (1954) 211 F. 2d 100.
Basically correct – but of no material benefit to tax protesters’ arguments.
"Decided cases have made the distinction between wages and income and have refused to equate the two.” - Central Illinois Publishing v. U.S. 435 U.S. 31.
Yes, and the two are NOT equated – for the simple reason that they are not “equal.” However, unfortunately for “Richardf614,” wages are still ONE KIND of income, and wages are TAXABLE. In the case of Central Illinois Public Serv. Co. v. United States, 435 U.S. 21 (1978), the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that under Internal Revenue Code section 3401, an employer who reimbursed employees for lunch expenses during company travel was not required to withhold federal income tax on those reimbursements. The lunch reimbursements did not qualify as wage for purposes of the section 3401(a) withholding requirements. The Supreme Court did not rule that wages are not taxable. Another dead end for tax protesters.
And if the doctrine of Stare Decisis has any meaning at all, it requires that the people in their everyday affairs be able to rely upon the decisions of the Supreme Court and not be necessarily penalized for such reliance." - Cf. Flood v. Kuhn 407 S. 258 Wallace v. McConnell 13 Pet. 136, 10 L. ED. 95.
--Yawwnnnnn.
How have the courts responded to the question of liability?
“Keeping in mind the well settled rule that the citizen is exempt from taxation unless the same is imposed by clear and unequivocal language, and that where the construction of tax law is doubtful, the doubt is to be resolved in favor of those upon whom the tax is sought to be laid.” - Spreckles Sugar Ref. Co. v. McClain 192 U.S. 397.
Note: The correct spelling and citation: Spreckels Sugar Refining Co. v. McClain, 192 U.S. 397 (1904). Yawnn.....
“…the taxpayer must be liable for the income tax. Tax liability is a condition precedent to the demand! Merely demanding payment, even repeatedly, does not cause liability.” -
Boethke v. Flour Engineers & Contractors 713 F 2nd 1405
The correct spelling (with a more full citation) for this case is ''Bothke v. Fluor Engineers and Constructors, Inc. and W. J. Terry'', 713 F.2d 1405, 83-2 U.S. Tax Cas. (CCH) paragr. 9556 (9th Cir. 1983), vacated and remanded, 468 U.S. 1201, 104 S. Ct. 3566, 84-2 U.S. Tax Cas. (CCH) paragr. 9617 (1984). The plaintiff's name was "Bothke" (not "Boathe" or "Boethke"). In some case reports the name of the company "Fluor" is misspelled as "Flour." There is no provision of the Internal Revenue Code, and no policy or position of the Internal Revenue Service, that says that “merely demanding payment” CREATES or CAUSES liability. Another dead end for tax protesters.
The courts have made it very clear that an American Citizen does not have to pay a tax for the mere privilege of existing, as otherwise inferred by the Internal Revenue Code. The court ruled:

“The individual, unlike the corporation, cannot be taxed for the mere privilege of existing. The corporation is an artificial entity which owes its existence and charter to the state; but the individual’s right to live and own property are NATURAL RIGHTS for the enjoyment of which an EXCISE cannot be imposed.” - Redfield v. Fisher, 292 P. 813
Nowhere does the Internal Revenue Code impose a federal income tax for “merely existing.” And nothing in Redfield v. Fisher says otherwise. This is not even a federal tax case. It’s not a federal case at all. It’s an Oregon case, and is cited over and over and over by tax protesters all over the internet. Dead end.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Richardf614 is still at it. In the same thread, he has now dumped more jewels, like the following:
A direct tax on wages remains unconstitutional. 1975 US Supreme Court case Colonial Pipeline Co. v. Traigle, 421 US 100: "... Income tax statutes apply only to state created Corporations no matter whether state, local or federal."
(bolding added)

Sorry, but a direct tax on wages, whether "direct" or not, has always been, as a general matter, constitutional. Neither the Supreme Court nor any other federal court has ever ruled otherwise.

The case of Colonial Pipeline Co. v. Traigle, 421 U.S. 100 (1975) involved the Louisiana corporate franchise tax, the validity of which was upheld by the Supreme Court. As far as I can tell, the bolded, quoted material provided by Richardf614 is fake. The words simply do not appear in the text of the Court's opinion.

Score another one for "Richardf614" at losthorizons.
Paul

Post by Paul »

As far as I can tell, the bolded, quoted material provided by Richardf614 is fake. The words simply do not appear in the text of the Court's opinion.
But . . . but . . . but . . . it says so everywhere on the internet, so it MUST be true!
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Paul wrote:
As far as I can tell, the bolded, quoted material provided by Richardf614 is fake. The words simply do not appear in the text of the Court's opinion.
But . . . but . . . but . . . it says so everywhere on the internet, so it MUST be true!
Yeah, he might have copied it from some place like this:

http://godissovereignfast.com/chapter4.html

I just want to remark again about how, uh, "remarkable" it is that so many of these cranks come up with internet web site user names containing variations of words like "truth" or "free" or "patriot," or they obtain their information from web sites that are ostensibly related to "God" or are of a "religious" nature, like the one linked immediately above. They do this with no apparent self-awareness of the inherent irony and their own intellectual dishonesty.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Good job, 'Famspear!' I figured you needed something to do Sunday afternoon.
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Famspear wrote:[Among many other refutations]
”Of Course, gross income and not gross receipts, is the foundation of income tax liability, for it is only earnings, profits and gains which the statute subjects to tax." - Clark v. U.S. (1954) 211 F. 2d 100.
Basically correct – but of no material benefit to tax protesters’ arguments.
Not just of no material benefit; but quite opposite to the tax denier claims. Even the snippet says "it is only earnings, profits and gains which the statute subjects to tax." Yes, it plainly says that earnings are subject to tax.

Better yet, read the snippet within context:
Appellant's principal contention here is that the trial court erred in overruling his motion for acquittal, because the Government's method of computation did not legally establish that any understatement of income had been made in his returns. The gist of his argument is that the Government had improperly taken appellant's Gross Receipts as the foundation of its computation; that Gross Receipts are not the basis of income-tax liability, Southern Pacific Co. v. Lowe, 247 U.S. 330, 335, 38 S.Ct. 540, 62 L.Ed. 1142, because they may include return of capital as well as income; that here they had admittedly included reimbursements of "outlays" made by appellant on behalf of customers, for cemetery lots, clergyman's and organist's fees, extra limousines hired from outside sources, newspaper notices, etc., which were not part of the services covered by his general funeral prices; and that, in any event, while the Government claimed that all such returns of capital had been subtracted from the Gross Receipts in arriving at appellant's Adjusted Gross Income — appellant's returns having showed that he had included such "outlays" as operating expenses in his business deductions, and the Government having accepted all of the deductions so claimed by him, for purposes of its result of Adjusted Gross Income — the Revenue Agents had failed to engage in any audit to establish that appellant had in fact included all of such "outlay" expenditures in his business deductions, and that it therefore had not legally established that its computation of Adjusted Gross Income did not consist of returns of capital.

This argument is without any legal substance on the realities of the situation. Of course, gross income and not gross receipts is the foundation of income-tax liability, for it is only earnings, profits and gains which the statute subjects to tax. And manifestly, gross receipts can not be called gross income, insofar as they consist of borrowings of capital, returns of capital, or any of the other items which section 22 of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C.A. § 22, has excluded from gross income. But when all of these things have duly been taken into account, no matter by what process it has been done, the amount remaining of Gross Receipts necessarily may, in its character as a result, properly reflect the taxpayer's Gross Income, which it is his duty to report.

On the Government's evidence, that is what the result of its computation amounted to in the present situation. The fact that the computation started with appellant's Gross Receipts would not prevent the result reached, no matter by what other term in accounting nomenclature it might be possible to designate it, from legally being reflective of appellant's Gross Income for purposes of proving income-tax evasion by him.

The Government is not required to establish income-tax evasion by the same processes and formalities which a taxpayer is required to observe in making his return. The existence of unreported income may be demonstrated by any practical method of proof that is available on the circumstances of the particular situation. Cf. Burka v. Commissioner, 4 Cir., 179 F.2d 483, 485. And it is not necessary, in order to make a case of tax evasion, that the exact amount of such income should be established. United States v. Johnson, 319 U.S. 503, 517, 63 S.Ct. 1233, 87 L.Ed. 1546. Nor is it incumbent upon the Government, in making a prima facie case of evasion to prove the non-existence of any other deductions than those which the taxpayer has claimed in his return. United States v. Link, 3 Cir., 202 F.2d 592, 593, 594. If the taxpayer legally has other deductions than those which he has so claimed, it is his privilege to show them and explain them as part of his defense. Some times the failure to claim deductions in a return may well be a part of the taxpayer's scheme to cover up his unreported income as a matter of not creating suspicion on the face of his return. It does not therefore destroy the Government's prima facie case as a matter of law that the defendant is able to develop on cross-examination of the Government's witnesses that a right to other deductions may exist, or to establish by his own evidence that such deductions do in fact exist, and especially is this true where the unreported income pointed to by the Government's evidence is reasonably capable of being found to have exceeded the amount of the unclaimed deductions. In any event, the attempt to establish unclaimed deductions as a defense against fraud in misstating income will ordinarily of itself present merely a question of fact, first as to the existence and amount of such deductions, and further, as suggested above, as a possible ingredient in the taxpayer's intent to conceal his unreported income by partially neutralizing the face of his returns.

What has been said is controlling of the present situation. The Government's computation, as has been indicated, did not use appellant's Gross Receipts as his Gross Income but simply took the Gross Receipts as the starting point of its method of arriving at his Adjusted Gross Income, in convenient approach and correlation to his manner of doing business, of keeping records, and of making his returns. The Revenue Agents subtracted the cost of all the merchandise which he had bought for sale, such as caskets, etc., and thus took account of any returns of capital from this source which were involved in his Gross Receipts. As to the "outlays" which appellant had made for cemetery lots, clergyman's and organist's fees, extra limousines hired from outside sources, newspaper notices, etc., which were not covered by the general funeral price, appellant's tax returns showed that he had made deductions of such items as costs of operation or business expenses, without correspondingly, however, having treated the repayment of them by the customer as being equivalent on this basis to income resulting to him.

The Government chose, for purposes of its computation, to allow the "outlays" to stand as business expenses, and to treat the repayment of them as income, instead of eliminating them from the deductions claimed by appellant and from the Gross Receipts as technically constituting outlays and returns of capital, for the reason primarily that appellant admitted to the Revenue Agents during their investigation that on some of these items he had made a profit, in that he had received a "kick-back" or had collected more from the customer than the amount of his actual outlay, and further appellant was not able to produce any bills, check-stubs, or other record of his expenditures, except for 1949 and part of 1948, from which it would have been possible for the Revenue Agents to determine how much the "outlay" receipts had in fact exceeded the "outlay" expenditures.

The result obtained by the Revenue Agents necessarily would be in the circumstances reflective of the amount of appellant's Adjusted Gross Income, assuming the correctness of the amount of the deductions allowed. And as we have said, the Government was entitled, for purposes of its prima facie case, to treat the amount of the deductions, with their inclusion of such "outlays", as being correct, if it chose to do so, because they had been so shown and declared in appellant's returns. Also, there was here no such establishment of omitted proper deductions, through cross-examination of the Government's witnesses or on the evidence of appellant, as legally destroyed the Government's prima facie case of existence of unreported taxable income and of willfulness in connection therewith. bolding added
See http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F ... 14652.html for the full case.
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:
The courts have made it very clear that an American Citizen does not have to pay a tax for the mere privilege of existing, as otherwise inferred by the Internal Revenue Code. The court ruled:

“The individual, unlike the corporation, cannot be taxed for the mere privilege of existing. The corporation is an artificial entity which owes its existence and charter to the state; but the individual’s right to live and own property are NATURAL RIGHTS for the enjoyment of which an EXCISE cannot be imposed.” - Redfield v. Fisher, 292 P. 813
Nowhere does the Internal Revenue Code impose a federal income tax for “merely existing.” And nothing in Redfield v. Fisher says otherwise. This is not even a federal tax case. It’s not a federal case at all. It’s an Oregon case, and is cited over and over and over by tax protesters all over the internet. Dead end.
Redfield v. Fisher is a decision of the Oregon Supreme Court, not a federal court, and the tax in question was not even an income tax. Oregon has an income tax, and the Oregon courts enforce it. For example:

“Taxpayer cites Redfield v. Fisher, 135 Or 180, 292 P 813 (1930) reh’g den, 135 Or 205, 295 P 461 (1931) for the proposition that an individual, unlike a corporation, may not be taxed for the mere privilege of existing. He then extends that statement to encompass the act of earning a living. That extension is erroneous. The court in Redfield knew of, and in no way questioned, the then existing Oregon tax on the income of individuals.”

Clark v. Dept. of Revenue, TC 4604, note 3 (Or. Tax Court 10/6/2003) (sanctions of $5,000 imposed against the taxpayer for bringing a frivolous appeal, arguing “that a citizen of Oregon is not liable for Oregon personal income tax on wages”).

So the claim that a tax on incomes is invalid as a "tax for the mere privilege of existing" is not valid even in Oregon.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

With minimal effort, I have already found the fake Colonial Pipeline quotation (see above) in the following places:

1. As noted above, from Richardf614, ironically, in the thread entitled "Good Information":

http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... 6a8926306b

2. Also:

http://godissovereignfast.com/chapter4.html

3. And:

http://usa-the-republic.com/mark%20of%2 ... endixG.htm

4. And -- quelle surprise! -- Christopher Hansen quoting an "author unknown," at:
http://famguardian.org/Subjects/LawAndG ... pCodes.htm

I love fake quotes. Fake quotes make my day. Fake quotes are better than ice cream. I am a happy camper. Life is good.

I know, I know; I need to get out more.