More prison time for Schiff?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: More prison time for Schiff?

Post by Famspear »

The U.S. Bureau of Prisons web site now (26 August 2008) shows Irwin A. Schiff (prisoner number 08537-014) as being "in transit" again. Considering his age (about 80), I hope it's not health problems that would be causing him to be moved again.

Despite the bad things he has done, I think that his story is a sad one. Sad not only for him, but for his victims.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Schiff is "in transit" because he's on his way back to Las Vegas for his resentencing hearing scheduled for mid September.
Demo.
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Demosthenes wrote:Schiff is "in transit" because he's on his way back to Las Vegas for his resentencing hearing scheduled for mid September.
What? No junket at Ceasars? :twisted:
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Just who is it that decides that this is the best, or even a proper, use of limited resources?

Common sense is not so common.
Voltaire
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
OnceSane

Post by OnceSane »

Given his age, Schiff should hope that the judge gives him more time. If he were granted his freedom tomorrow, what would he have? Now, he's being fed, housed and given medical care by the very system he did his best to not support and encourage others not to support.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

OnceSane wrote:Given his age, Schiff should hope that the judge gives him more time. If he were granted his freedom tomorrow, what would he have? Now, he's being fed, housed and given medical care by the very system he did his best to not support and encourage others not to support.
Schiff would do just fine out of prison. He has a rich son, and millions offshore.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

How much does he still in taxes, interest, etc?

Does the collection statute toll or run while you're in prison?

Perhaps this is all a clever ploy on his part to just outlast the liens.
TheSaint

Post by TheSaint »

jg wrote:Just who is it that decides that this is the best, or even a proper, use of limited resources?
It does seem kind of petty, adding a month to an 80-year-old man's eight-year sentence.

Not that I have any sympathy for the little weasel.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

jg wrote:Just who is it that decides that this is the best, or even a proper, use of limited resources?
In this case, the 9th Circuit.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Nikki wrote:How much does he still in taxes, interest, etc?

Does the collection statute toll or run while you're in prison?

Perhaps this is all a clever ploy on his part to just outlast the liens.
Hypothetically, could the government go after his estate to satisfy outstanding tax debts? Even if they were off shore, provided the government could show it was part of a tax dodge?

Just curious.
Prison time does not extend the statute for collection. However, if the IRS could show in court that Schiff engaged in fraud to evade collection, they could pursue collection against those assets which were specifically involved in the fraudulent behavior. Typically this would be associated with proof that there nominees or phony companies set up to hold assets that were or could have been encumbered by the tax lien.

But offshore accounts are notorious in that you have to know where they are and what is in them and what name are the accounts being held in - information that just isn't readily available, certainly not information that Schiff is going to cough up to the IRS.

If an estate is opened upon the death of Schiff, the IRS could certainly pursue any assets controlled by the estate. But I seriously doubt that Schiff would have arranged his affairs so that an estate would be necessary to dispose of his assets.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

11 more months
15 contempt citations
Only about 22 days each. Victory!
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Paul

Post by Paul »

We used to call this "dogpiling."