I'm convinced, Hendrickson is not a person . . .

ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

I'm convinced, Hendrickson is not a person . . .

Post by ashlynne39 »

he's an idiot . . . and so is his little friend Skankbeat.

So I'm reading Skankbeat's analysis of the court's language on whether Hendrickson is a person and basically he chalks it all up to word games. Ironically, the only person playing word games in this scenario is Skankbeat.

Skankbeat
If you read the [] excerpt carefully, you will see that both the judge and government lawyers fall short of stating that "Defendant is a 'person'".
Court
... the Court... rejected the argument that... the defendant could not be a “person”...
Skankbeat
It is true, Hendrickson "could be" a "person", but the issue of law is whether Hendrickson "is" a "person".
He could be, but is he really???? That is the question. Maybe he's an alien who's inhabited the body of a person in which case he wouldn't really be a person

Court
... the pertinent definitional provisions... specify that individuals such as Defendant are ‘persons’...
Skankbeat
It is true, Hendrickson is an "individual", and it is also true that "pertinent... provisions... specify" that some "individuals" are "persons". But the issue of law is whether Hendrickson "is" a "person".
So Pete's an individual but does that really mean he's a person?

Skankbeat
Because the judge does not declare that Hendrickson is a statutory "person", the issue of law is not addressed. Instead you have a lot of smoke-and-mirrors.
Because apparently the Court saying that individuals such as Pete are persons is just not enough. Had the court included the word "statutory" right before the word person that would have cleared up all the smoke-and-mirrors

Court
The defendant argues that at trial the Government failed to introduce evidence that he was a “person.” In its case in chief, the government presented evidence that the defendant worked at Edward Rose & Son... From that evidence, the jury could conclude that Hendrickson was a person.
Surely the court jests. . . . just because Pete works does not make him a person. Pack animals work and they aren't people. What if he were a robot who worked, would he be a person then?

Skankbeat
Note that the last use of "person" is without quotations. The omission of the quotation marks is not a typo. The government lawyers know full well that simply showing that Hendrickson "worked at" a company does not establish that Hendrickson is a statutory "person". So eventhough the jury "could conclude" that Hendrickson was a regular person, the issue of law is whether Hendrickson "is" a statutory "person".

And here Skankbeat shows the great flaw in the opinion. The court left off the quotation marks around the word "person." This is apparently very, very important in ferreting out the court's intentions.

Court
Further, as the defendant took the stand at trial and testified on his own behalf, the jury was entitled to conclude from his presence that, as an individual, he was a “person” for purposes of § 7206(1).

Skankbeat
It is true that the jury "was entitled" to guess that since Hendrickson is an "individual", and that certain "individuals" are "persons", that Hendrickson might also be a "person". But that does not satisfy the "beyond a resonable doubt" test for criminal procedure.
Not even sure what to say about this analysis.

Skankbeat
I will stop here.
Oh don't tease so Skankbeat. You know you won't stop here. You're just getting started

http://www.losthorizons.com/phpBB/viewt ... &start=150
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: I'm convinced, Hendrickson is not a person . . .

Post by grixit »

If he's not a person, then the judge should be able to send him to the pound to be gassed.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:If he's not a person, then the judge should be able to send him to the pound to be gassed.
But what if he was vegetable or mineral? Gassing would have no real effect.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote:But what if he was vegetable or mineral? Gassing would have no real effect.
It's just a matter of finding the right gas.

"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

wserra wrote:
The Observer wrote:But what if he was vegetable or mineral? Gassing would have no real effect.
It's just a matter of finding the right gas.

Next thing, ya know, someone is going to be proposing a meeting at the Wannsee House.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff