A man's home is his......church?

fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: A man's home is his......church?

Post by fortinbras »

First of all, this is not an IRS case but a local property tax case.

That being said, the IRS would probably grant an exemption if the church would behave like a church. This would include being incorporated so it has a distinct legal persona, reaching out to a larger congregation than just this man's own family, and not using the premises as a racquet court when services are not being held. The local authorities have a reasonably good argument against him if this supposed church was built without zoning variances .... after all, a church is expected to attract heavy traffic. But just remodeling a part of the house for a family prayer room isn't enough for a tax break.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I say, eliminate religious exemptions entirely. Any religious organization that cannot survive paying the same as anybody else must have a puny god or uninspired members. Or both.

Actually i would go even further and

<Harvester> impassioned and irrefutable anti religious rant removed as too dangerous </Harvester>
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

grixit wrote:
<Harvester> impassioned and irrefutable anti religious rant removed as too dangerous </Harvester>
Who the hell gave Harvester Moderator Status? :shock: :brickwall: :shock:

J/K

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I guess not many are shocked that I'm an atheist, but my argument against tax exemptions for churches is just one woed.

Scientology
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:I say, eliminate religious exemptions entirely. Any religious organization that cannot survive paying the same as anybody else must have a puny god or uninspired members. Or both.
And how does the 1st Amendment fit into that proposal?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Olsenfin

Post by Olsenfin »

The Observer wrote:
grixit wrote:I say, eliminate religious exemptions entirely. Any religious organization that cannot survive paying the same as anybody else must have a puny god or uninspired members. Or both.
And how does the 1st Amendment fit into that proposal?
How does a proposal that religious organizations be taxed as any other organizations implicate the 1st amendment, which states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". To tax such an entity as any other, irrespective of its religious character, surely is not a law "respecting an establishment of religion"; rather, it ignores that element completely. Moreover, to tax a church does not prohibit the free exercise of its adherents' beliefs.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Apart from a tradition going back to medieval Europe, churches are tax exempt on the presumption that they are doing good for a segment of the public and are not competing with taxpaying businesses like pool halls and taverns and the money coming in does not enrich the people running the church. You may well think this is very naive.

Most churches in this country probably don't need to jump through the hoops to become tax exempt because they operate on a shoestring from collection baskets that could hardly buy shoestrings. But some well known outfits are raking the money in with both hands and they pay attention to the tax laws.

This particular chapel built on a tennis court probably would not meet the criteria for a church for a number of reasons including that it is simply a convenience for one family, serving like a single prayer room, but also because the local zoning board was never told that a church was being built so, as far as the local authorities know or care, there really is no church there.
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

In my research on the new country movement, I obtained copies of declassified correspondence from the "Ephemeral Nations File" of the State Department's Office of the Geographer.

One was a five page letter from a man explaining that since he was an ordained minister, he was therefore an ambassador of the Kingdom of God and was entitled to Diplomatic Immunity. The Geographer wrote back and stated, in a very matter-of-fact letter, that the USA did not have any diplomatic relations with a country called the "Kingdom of God" and could not grant his request.

:lol:
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

The Observer wrote:And how does the 1st Amendment fit into that proposal?

Perfectly. By granting such exemptions, the IRS is favoring religion and thereby violating the separation of church and state. Worse, the IRS, a government agency, is actually passing judgement on what is and is not a proper religious organization.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

How about donations to a church being tax deductible to the donor, but the church still pays tax on the income? And I'm still holding out for a 500% excise on luxury jets and gold bathroom fixtures.
People like Joyce Meyers and Joel Olsteen (the list is MUCH longer) just make me sick, that's not a church, it's a media company.....
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Gregg wrote:People like Joyce Meyers and Joel Olsteen (the list is MUCH longer) just make me sick, that's not a church, it's a media company.....
Me, too . . . except that I found Reverend Ike from here in NY consistently amusing. "The sound of change makes the minister NER-vous in the SER-vice." "You can't LOSE with the stuff I USE." I always got the impression that he was winking at the congregation, that it was all a big inside joke - except that, in his heyday (the 70s), he was raking it in too.

Oh, well, nobody's perfect.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:]Perfectly. By granting such exemptions, the IRS is favoring religion and thereby violating the separation of church and state. Worse, the IRS, a government agency, is actually passing judgement on what is and is not a proper religious organization.
And the power to tax is the power to destroy. What if a legitimate church cannot pay the tax? Seems to me that would be a situation where the government would still be passing judgement on whether a religion would be allowed to exist or function. If the government decides to not press collection, it has favored that church over others who did pay. And if it seizes the assets of the church, then it has essentially taken away the right of the church members/attendees to pursue their right to worship where and how they please.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Then there was the church --

Decided it was above earthly matters such as registering with the IRS for an automatic (almost) exemption

Didn't bother withholding ANYTHING from its workers paychecks

Refused to cooperate with the IRS during an examination

Had assets siezed and sold
Unidyne

Post by Unidyne »

Nikki wrote:Then there was the church --

Decided it was above earthly matters such as registering with the IRS for an automatic (almost) exemption

Didn't bother withholding ANYTHING from its workers paychecks

Refused to cooperate with the IRS during an examination

Had assets siezed and sold
Wasn't Kent Hovind and his "Dinosaur Adventure Land" guilty of the the same thing, if not similar?
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

The Observer wrote: What if a legitimate church cannot pay the tax? Seems to me that would be a situation where the government would still be passing judgement on whether a religion would be allowed to exist or function. If the government decides to not press collection, it has favored that church over others who did pay. And if it seizes the assets of the church, then it has essentially taken away the right of the church members/attendees to pursue their right to worship where and how they please.
Failure to pay your debts does not equate to taking away the rights of church members to worship. What happens to a church now that doesn't pay off their other debts? Do they invoke the 1st amendment and have all of their debts forgiven?

The 1st amendment doesn't guarantee you the right the worship in a physical building, with marble floors, a solid gold statue of your god, and a Mercedes for each member of the clergy. If you can't afford any of the above, your religion simply doesn't get those things. I dont see how adding taxes into the equation has anything to do with the 1st amendment. If the church collects $1000, it sets aside a portion of the money for taxes and then buys whatever it wants with what is left over.

Jesus wasn't part of the wealthy establishment, and yet he managed to establish a very successful religion (while paying taxes to Caesar).
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

silversopp wrote: I dont see how adding taxes into the equation has anything to do with the 1st amendment. If the church collects $1000, it sets aside a portion of the money for taxes and then buys whatever it wants with what is left over.
I go to a small country church, it would not be income taxes that killed us, it would be income taxes, property taxes, and an accountant to figure out what we owed we bring in $250-$300. a week, after heating and cooling, the minister (that we share), and the dues we have to the conference (we are UMC) there isn't anything left. I don't know of any family that is currently in a position to increase their giving.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Gifts aren't included in gross income (see section 102), so most churches wouldn't pay any income tax even if they lost their tax-exempt status. It would only affect churches with a significant amount of investment income.

Whether donations to churches should be tax-deductible is arguable, because I'm not sure how much society benefits from the existence of churches.

And real property taxes are a different issue altogether, and I think that most churches would be hit hard if they had to pay ad valorem taxes on the value of their buildings and grounds.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Olsenfin wrote: How does a proposal that religious organizations be taxed as any other organizations implicate the 1st amendment, which states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". To tax such an entity as any other, irrespective of its religious character, surely is not a law "respecting an establishment of religion"; rather, it ignores that element completely. Moreover, to tax a church does not prohibit the free exercise of its adherents' beliefs.
Wrong, lutefisk breath! :wink:

There isn't one living soul in Washington that I would trust to determine how a church should be taxed.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

Purely as a textual matter, if you're going to argue that taxing churches abridges the free exercise of religion, then taxing media conglomerates abridges the freedom of the press and taxing the income of a professional speaker abridges freedom of speech.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: There isn't one living soul in Washington that I would trust to determine how a church should be taxed.
Is there anyone in Congress you would trust to determine how to tax an individual or a business?