I think HArvester may have gone too far on this one

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: I think HArvester may be right on this one

Post by LPC »

lorne wrote:I think you may be right; same person. On Aug. 3 Famspear stated
O'Daniel is also charged with submitting "Prepaid Foreign bills of exchange" to the IRS to pay his taxes -- including one for over $50,000 and another for over $68,000.
and then above in this thread Sooltaug states
The numerous RipOffReports about me have all been posted by Karl Dahlstrom -- anybody remember him? If not, let me give you this head start:
Notice the double-dash used to indicate a pause is used by both posters. That's idiosyncratic.
Actually, it's called an "em dash" and it's a standard form of punctuation. Most keyboards don't include an em dash, so the standard representation is two short dashes (which are known as "en dashes"). In MS Word, the default auto-correct feature will automatically convert two en dashes into an em dash.

Harvey's beliefs about Famspear and Adkisson are really just another example of psychological projection. Harvey is deceptive and dishonest and uses multiple screen names, so he assumes other people are similarly deceptive and dishonest and use multiple screen names.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: I think HArvester may have gone too far on this one

Post by grixit »

I've been using double dashes all my life -- OMG, could *i* be Soultag?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

LPC wrote:
lorne wrote:I think you may be right; same person. On Aug. 3 Famspear stated
O'Daniel is also charged with submitting "Prepaid Foreign bills of exchange" to the IRS to pay his taxes -- including one for over $50,000 and another for over $68,000.
and then above in this thread Sooltaug states
The numerous RipOffReports about me have all been posted by Karl Dahlstrom -- anybody remember him? If not, let me give you this head start:
Notice the double-dash used to indicate a pause is used by both posters. That's idiosyncratic.
Actually, it's called an "em dash" and it's a standard form of punctuation. Most keyboards don't include an em dash, so the standard representation is two short dashes (which are known as "en dashes"). In MS Word, the default auto-correct feature will automatically convert two en dashes into an em dash....
Lorne might be showing his or her age, too (specifically, youthful age). I learned to "type" on something called a "typewriter", back in the 1960s. This was before Microsoft and Windows 7 and the internet and stuff like that, you know. Back then you were taught in typing class in high school that you used two short dashes to form the "dash" punctuation used in an ordinary letter or other document.

On second thought, I'm not sure whether lorne's unfamiliarity with the em dash concept is a result of his or her presumed youth or inexperience. After all, as LPC noted, the concept is built into the program for Microsoft Word.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

Rule of thumb is that you use a single dash when comparing scores like "the Tigers won the game 9-4" and when listing a range of numbers like 5-15 for "5 through 15". Use a double dash when you want to insert a side thought.
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

lorne wrote:Notice the double-dash used to indicate a pause is used by both posters. That's idiosyncratic. Not proof positive but does lend credence to your theory.
Maybe both happen to own a copy of Strunk and White's "Elements of Style"? The double dash is also known as the Em-Dash. It is stylistically distinct from hyphens and dashes. In many word processors, typing a double dash will automatically convert into an emdash.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

lorne wrote:Notice the double-dash used to indicate a pause is used by both posters. That's idiosyncratic.
The Declaration of Independence wrote:We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
Evidently, Famspear wrote the Declaration of Independence.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Just to point this out - Jay started the website, Quatloos, and he was/is very active in maintaining it and updating fraudsters. The forum is but one part of the website and its not something Jay really utilizes. Besides, who gives a shit that you think Famspear is Jay? Not me.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Dr. Caligari wrote:Evidently, Famspear wrote the Declaration of Independence.
As I've repeatedly said, I'm honored to be in this company.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I don't think he ever believed it, he's just doing it for the reaction, like a 6 year old making fart sounds in the back classroom when the teacher is away.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

wserra wrote:
Dr. Caligari wrote:Evidently, Famspear wrote the Declaration of Independence.
As I've repeatedly said, I'm honored to be in this company.
You might want to rethink that after you have gotten your bill for your Illuminati dues this year.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

By the way, on Friday night I watched JFK (yes, I know it's fiction) and as is my wont I then spent the better part of the weekend digging around a lot of the minutia of the assassination. In the middle of a 3-4 hour block on Oswald's interrogation it began to occur to me that he reminded me a lot of tax protester/sovereign idiots in general and very much or our village idiot in detail.
Just an observation....
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

And, I think this is correct, Famspear went to UT while Jay went to OU-- a very serious difference.

Besides, if you can't figure out who most of us are, from side (and snide) references, etc., you really are not very smart. For example, there are not many South Carolinians who practice law in San Antonio, Texas.
"My Health is Better in November."
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Brandybuck wrote: Maybe both happen to own a copy of Strunk and White's "Elements of Style"? The double dash is also known as the Em-Dash. It is stylistically distinct from hyphens and dashes. In many word processors, typing a double dash will automatically convert into an emdash.

Or, as is more likely the case, both parties are of sufficient age and more importantly education, something Harvey is not, to have learned how to write properly and correctly, to the point that it is habit and not thought, something else Harvey is short on.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Prof wrote:And, I think this is correct, Famspear went to UT while Jay went to OU.....
Actually, I didn't go to either of those schools......
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Imalawman
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Famspear wrote:
Prof wrote:And, I think this is correct, Famspear went to UT while Jay went to OU.....
Ah...so you're not Larry B. Williams, then? I thought you went to UT-A and were a CFO. hmmm, well, you remain a riddle wrapped in an enigma...
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Imalawman

Post by Imalawman »

Prof wrote:And, I think this is correct, Famspear went to UT while Jay went to OU-- a very serious difference.

Besides, if you can't figure out who most of us are, from side (and snide) references, etc., you really are not very smart. For example, there are not many South Carolinians who practice law in San Antonio, Texas.
Yes, that's true. Though, I think only a handful of Quatloosians know my identity. I was very careful when I worked at the state and now that I'm in private practice I haven't been as careful (I don't really care if anyone knows who I am), but I still don't know if I've given enough clues... :thinking:
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Prof wrote: Besides, if you can't figure out who most of us are, from side (and snide) references, etc., you really are not very smart. For example, there are not many South Carolinians who practice law in San Antonio, Texas.
Harvey knows who I am, and I say so what? Seriously if you have nothing better to do than run down regular posters so be it. I have looked into two, Wserra, because it was easy and I wanted to see what I could find out. I also wanted to make sure he was a real attorney. I also looked into Demo, I determined that they both were real people and seemed to be what they claimed they were and that was enough for me.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

At the other extreme, most of the Crackheads couldn't figure out who I was when I first logged onto Lost Horizons as "DBE."

They simply refused to believe that "DBE" and "Daniel B. Evans" were the same person, and challenged me to prove that I was Evans, even though I never claimed to be and kept telling them that I didn't care who they thought I was. That just made them even more certain that I was only pretending to be me.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

LPC wrote:
They simply refused to believe that "DBE" and "Daniel B. Evans" were the same person,
of course they aren't.

Daniel B. Evans cannot possibly be DBE because DBE would spell his name DANIEL B. EVANS. See completely different people. :lol:
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Famspear wrote:
Curses, foiled again! I suppose only The Shadow knows.
"My Health is Better in November."