CtC Warrior David Nelson

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

CtC Warrior David Nelson

Post by LPC »

What is it with airline pilots?

David Nelson v. United States, No. 10-10730 (11th Cir. 8/12/2010).
11th Circuit wrote:DAVID NELSON,
Plaintiff-Appellant,
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Defendant-Appelee.

DO NOT PUBLISH

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT

Non-Argument Calendar

D.C. Docket No. 3:08-cv-00508-MCR-EMT

Appeal from the United States District Court
for the Northern District of Florida

(August 12, 2010)

Before HULL, PRYOR and FAY, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:

Plaintiff David Nelson, proceeding pro se , appeals the district court's grant of summary judgment in favor of the defendant-appellee, the United States, on Nelson's tax refund action brought pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 7422. On appeal, Nelson argues that his wages from a private sector job are not subject to federal taxation. Nelson also asserts that the district court abused its discretion in denying his motion to file a second amended complaint. After review, we affirm.

I. BACKGROUND

From 2002 to 2007, Nelson worked as an airline pilot for Northwest Airlines ("Northwest"), a private sector company. Each year from 2002 to 2007, Northwest reported Nelson's pay as "wages" to the IRS on a W-2 form and withheld federal income and Federal Insurance Contribution Act ("FICA") taxes. Nelson filed federal income tax returns or amended returns for 2002 to 2007. In his 2002 to 2007 returns, Nelson did not report any of the Northwest income as taxable and claimed refunds of $176,979.62, representing the federal income and FICA taxes that Northwest had withheld from his wages.

After receiving a tax refund from the IRS only for the year 2005, Nelson brought this 26 U.S.C. § 7422 action in federal court seeking a refund of the taxes on his earnings from Northwest for the years 2002 to 2004, 2006, and 2007.1

The district court denied Nelson's summary judgment motion on all of his tax refund claims and granted summary judgment in favor of the United States on Nelson's claims for 2003, 2004, and 2007. The district court dismissed Nelson's claims for 2002 and 2006 for lack of jurisdiction, and, in the alternative, granted summary judgment in favor of the United States on those claims. The court denied Nelson's motion to file a second amended complaint, reasoning that his proposed second amended complaint merely re-asserted the claims in his first amended complaint and would be futile.

II. DISCUSSION

A. Taxable Income

On appeal, Nelson challenges the district court's ruling as to his 2003, 2004, and 2007 tax refund claims but not his 2002 and 2006 claims.2 Specifically, Nelson argues that private sector income is not taxable by the federal government because the definition of "wages" in the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. § 3401(a), does not apply to income from private sector jobs that are unconnected to the federal government.

Section 1 of the Internal Revenue Code imposes a tax on the "taxable income" of every individual. See 26 U.S.C. § 1(a)-(d); see also 26 U.S.C. § 3101 (imposing FICA taxes on "every individual"). "Taxable income" is defined as "gross income minus the deductions allowed by this chapter." 26 U.S.C. § 63(a). "[G]ross income means all income from whatever source derived, including . . . [c]ompensation for services. . . ." 26 U.S.C. § 61(a)(1). In his amended complaint, Nelson concedes that Northwestern paid him in exchange for his work as a pilot from 2002 to 2007 and reported that pay as "wages."

We have repeatedly rejected arguments, such as Nelson's, asserting that private sector employment income is not subject to federal taxation. E.g., United States v. Morse, 532 F.3d 1130, 1132-33 (11th Cir. 2008) (concluding that argument that individual's income is not subject to federal taxation because his income "was derived from employment in the private sector" is "utterly without merit" and "frivolous") (quotation marks omitted); Motes v. United States, 785 F.2d 928, 928 (11th Cir. 1986) (rejecting argument that "only public servants are subject to tax liability"). Indeed, courts have imposed sanctions, even on pro se litigants, for raising such arguments. See, e.g., Morse, 532 F.3d at 1133 (upholding sanctions against pro se defendant who raised defense that private sector income is not subject to federal taxation). Thus, Nelson's non-taxable-income argument is foreclosed by our precedent, and the district court did not err in granting summary judgment in favor of the United States on Nelson's 2003, 2004, and 2007 refund claims.3

Nelson's reliance on 26 U.S.C. § 6051 does not help him because § 6051 does not impose a tax on Nelson, but instead provides only reporting requirements for his employer. In addition, courts consistently have rejected arguments like Nelson's that 26 U.S.C. § 3401(c) excludes private sector employees from federal taxation. See, e.g., Sullivan v. United States, 788 F.2d 813, 815 (1st Cir. 1986) (rejecting plaintiff's argument that he received no "wages" because he was not an "employee" under § 3401(c), reasoning that § 3401(c) "does not purport to limit withholding to the persons listed therein," and noting that § 3401(c) concerns income tax withholding); United States v. Latham, 754 F.2d 747, 750 (7th Cir. 1985) (upholding district court's refusal to give jury instruction that "under 26 U.S.C. § 3401(c) the category of 'employee' does not include privately employed wage earners," noting this instruction was "inane . . . [and] a preposterous reading of the statute," and stating, "t is obvious that within the context of [ § 3401(c)] the word 'includes' is a term of enlargement not of limitation, and the reference to certain entities or categories is not intended to exclude all others").

B. Motion to File Second Amended Complaint

Nelson also argues that the district court should have granted his motion to file a second amended complaint.4 The district court did not abuse its discretion in denying Nelson's motion because it properly concluded Nelson's proposed second amendment would have been futile. Nelson's proposed second amended complaint contained no new claims for relief, merely restated the relevant facts as to the claims presented in Nelson's first amended complaint, and reiterated the legal arguments he already had presented in his motion for summary judgment. As such, the proposed second amended complaint contained nothing that would have altered the district court's decision to grant summary judgment in favor of the United States. See Sibley v. Lando, 437 F.3d 1067, 1074 (11th Cir. 2005) (concluding that proposed amended complaint, which added a transcript, would not change the fact that defendant was immune from suit, and thus amendment would be futile). And Nelson had already been given the opportunity to amend his original complaint once.

III. CONCLUSION

For all these reasons, we affirm the judgment of the district court.

AFFIRMED.

FOOTNOTES

1 For tax year 2005, the IRS initially issued Nelson a full refund but now contends that refund was issued in error. The IRS has now reversed its decision to refund Nelson for the 2005 tax year and determined Nelson owes $10,490.39 for that year.

2As to Nelson's 2002 and 2006 tax refund claims, the district court concluded it lacked jurisdiction. Because Nelson does not challenge the district court's ruling, he has waived his 2002 and 2006 claims. See Horsley v. Feldt, 304 F.3d 1125, 1131 n.1 (11th Cir. 2002) (concluding issues not briefed on appeal by a pro se litigant are deemed abandoned).

Nelson also raised a variety of arguments before the district court that he does not raise on appeal, including challenges to the constitutionality of the tax laws and of the particular taxes imposed on his pay. Because Nelson does not raise these arguments on appeal, he has waived them as well. See id.

3We review de novo the district court's grant of summary judgment. Martin v. Brevard Cnty. Pub. Sch., 543 F.3d 1261, 1265 (11th Cir. 2008). In doing so, "[w]e draw all factual inferences in a light most favorable to the non-moving party," here, Nelson. Shiver v. Chertoff, 549 F.3d 1342, 1343 (11th Cir. 2008). Summary judgment should be granted if "there is no genuine issue as to any material fact and . . . the moving party is entitled to judgment as a matter of law." Fed. R. Civ. P. 56(c).

4This Court "review[s] the denial of a motion to amend a complaint for abuse of discretion. The underlying legal conclusion of whether a particular amendment to the complaint would have been futile is review de novo."Corsello v. Lincare, Inc., 428 F.3d 1008, 1012 (11th Cir. 2005) (citation omitted).

END OF FOOTNOTES
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Re: CtC Warrior David Nelson

Post by LPC »

Hendrickson was nice enough to provide us with some of the background documentation for this warrior on his "Every Which Way But Loose" page.
Peter Hendrickson wrote:EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE- X

This week's episode of EWWBL starts out with a nice, complete refund of everything withheld from warrior David Nelson during 2005 against the possibility that he might prove to be liable for "income" taxes in connection with that year once he has filed his declaration of relevant taxable activities:

More than a year after this May, 2006 victory, some IRS law-defier decided to take a shot at herding David back into the barn. In September of 2007, David got this scary-paper in the mail:

(Note the remarkable coincidence of the amount of "increase in tax because of this change" and the amount of David's refund...)

David wasn't cowed by this tax-agency effort to evade the law. As he wrote to me after receiving this attempt to confuse and intimidate him: "I will not get back down on all fours for this agency!" And he certainly did not.

Instead, David got on the phone and rattled the cage of his assigned IRS flack for a while. The flack did his best to pretend to misunderstand David, but...

Eight months later, David gets THIS in his mailbox:

Now David is down to a $10,593.00 "tax increase", with $26,298.00 due...

David disagrees, and said so. He responded to this nonsense with the following:

David L. Nelson
XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXX

May 9, 2008
Certified Mail #70073020000199971928

Internal Revenue Service
4800 Buford Hwy
Attn: D Kidd
Chamblee, GA 39901-0021

Re: Reply to LTR CP2000 May 05, 2008

To Dennis Kidd and the Internal Revenue Service:.

On the face of the Form 1040 return and Form 4852 I have enclosed and previously filed with the Internal Revenue Service for TY 2005, I accurately accounted for all receipts under the excise laws of the United States. I do not agree to any changes to my returns.

In the Explanation section of your letter you indicate information reported to IRS differs from that amount shown on my return. It also says that . “IF this information is correct, your tax increase is $10,593 plus applicable penalties….” The difference in Taxable Wages was corrected on the Form 4852 which was included with my Form 1040. My private non-federal non-taxable receipts were incorrectly identified as “wages” ( as defined in 26 USC Sec 3401 (a)(c) and 3121 and others) by my private sector company.

The difference in Tax Withheld of $8027 is the sum of Social Security and Medicare income taxes withheld. If you look on my Form 4852 you will see the following amounts:

7(i) Social security tax withheld 5580.00
7(j) Medicare tax withheld 2446.87
This rounds the total to $8027

Section 6201 Part D of the Internal Revenue Code is reprinted below for your convenience:
Sec. 6201- Assessment authority
(d) Required reasonable verification of information returns
In any court proceeding, if a taxpayer asserts a reasonable dispute with respect to any item of income reported on an information return filed with the Secretary under subpart B or C of part III of subchapter A of chapter 61 by a third party and the taxpayer has fully cooperated with the Secretary (including providing, within a reasonable period of time, access to and inspection of all witnesses, information, and documents within the control of the taxpayer as reasonably requested by the Secretary), The Secretary shall have the burden of producing reasonable and probative information concerning such deficiency in addition to such information return.
Additionally, in accordance with 26 USC 6203 and CFR 26 Sec 301.6203-1, please provide me with the record of assessment signed by the assessment officer, authorized by the Secretary, whom recorded these liabilities for TY 2005.

Unless the IRS has factual knowledge of my private finances superior than my own and can prove as such per Sec 6201and 6203, please provide that information so I can respond. If you don’t have personnel knowledge of the facts I will assume this matter closed.

Sincerely,

David L. Nelson

Encl:
Notice CP 2000 May 5, 2008
TY 2005 Form 1040 and Form 4852
The law-defiers took a little time figuring out their next move, and then struck back with an impressive display of confidence, and the presentation of overwhelming legal support for their claims:

...followed by this:

Now we've got a $21,786.00 "DECREASE in tax" (and interest), and what amounts to a plea to David to return the FICA "contributions" which were long since properly refunded to him. This request is made despite the fact EVERYONE once again agrees David had received none of the "wages" by which liability for such "contributions" is measured! (If David HAD received such "wages", he would have been liable for the normal tax on those "wages", AS WELL as the FICA surtax on the first $75,000.00, or whatever the threshold was in 2005, which the "service" is trying to cajole him into presenting to it as a gift.)

Hang in there, Dave! In another six months of this pattern, the IRS is going to start sending you notices claiming IT owes YOU...
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Peter Hendrickson wrote:Now David is down to a $10,593.00 "tax increase", with $26,298.00 due...
That tax liability, later reduced to $9,994.99, seems to correspond to the $10,490.39 that the IRS claims is due according to footnote 1 of the 11th Circuit opinion.
Peter Hendrickson wrote:Hang in there, Dave! In another six months of this pattern, the IRS is going to start sending you notices claiming IT owes YOU...
Another great prediction from the self-proclaimed "researcher, analyst and scholar."
Dan Evans
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

I'm a bit confused...

The original notice that our CtC warrior owes $32k makes perfect sense to me. But why on earth does the government keep knocking that number down as time goes on? That just lends credibility to the CtC warrior's argument as he constantly sees his amount owed dropping the more he argues his beliefs.

And...isn't this actually a win? He received a $28k refund and then had to pay back $10k. So he ends up banking $18k of his fraudulent refund.

What am I missing here?
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

From the trial court proceedings in this case:
Nelson acknowledges that he worked as a pilot for Northwest during the years at issue and was remunerated for his work. The transcripts of account provided by the government document the fact and amount of Nelson’s remuneration [citation omitted]. The fact that Northwest is a “private sector company, which is not owned or operated on behalf of the United States” [citation omitted] is immaterial to the question of whether the remuneration Northwest paid Nelson for his work was “compensation for services” within the meaning of 26 U.S.C. § 61(a)(1). It clearly was. Addressing essentially the same argument made by Nelson in this case, the Fifth Circuit observed that “§ 3401(c) was not intended to exclude privately employed wage earners or to limit the ordinary meaning of the term “employee” so as to exclude persons such as [the plaintiff] from tax withholding.” Swanson v. American Airlines, Inc., 2000 WL 554640 (5th Cir. 2000); see also, e.g., Sullivan v. United States, 788 F.2d 813, 815 (1st Cir. 1986) (“to the extent [plaintiff] argues that he received no ‘wages’ . . . because he was not an employee within the meaning of 26 U.S.C. § 3401(c), that contention is meritless. . . . The statute does not purport to limit withholding to the persons listed therein.”). Indeed, the position that remuneration received from a private employer is not subject to income tax has been described by the Eleventh Circuit as “patently frivolous and contrary to long-established authority . . . .” Spitzer, 2007 WL 2376783, at *3. Other circuits have likewise rejected this theory as frivolous. [ . . . ] Moreover, the Sixth Circuit has also described this theory—which appears to be based on the theories of Peter Hendrickson, tax protester and author of Cracking the Code: The Fascinating Truth About Taxation in America—as a frivolous tax-protestor argument. See United States v. Hendrickson, 100 A.F.T.R.2d (RIA) 5395 (E.D. Mich.2007), aff'd by unpublished slip op., No. 07-1510 (6th Cir. June 11, 2008).
--from pages 14 and 15 of the magistrate's Report and Recommendation, docket entry 33, Dec. 7, 2009, adopted and incorporated by reference by Order of the Court, at docket entry 41, Jan. 8, 2010, Nelson v. United States, case no. 3:08-cv-00508-MCR-EMT, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida (Pensacola Div.) (bolding added).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

silversopp wrote:I'm a bit confused...

The original notice that our CtC warrior owes $32k makes perfect sense to me. But why on earth does the government keep knocking that number down as time goes on? That just lends credibility to the CtC warrior's argument as he constantly sees his amount owed dropping the more he argues his beliefs.

And...isn't this actually a win? He received a $28k refund and then had to pay back $10k. So he ends up banking $18k of his fraudulent refund.

What am I missing here?
Well, that assumes that the $18K portion was fraudulent. I agree that without looking at all Nelson's relevant income and withholding information (especially his complete original and amended return or returns for that year), we don't know the reason(s) for the adjustments. Perhaps, after deleting the effects of the fraudulent Cracking the Code position, he actually was overwithheld. I don't know. Without complete data, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Granted, many of the wackadoosters at losthorizons would not hesitate to jump to conclusions without complete data.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:
silversopp wrote:And...isn't this actually a win? He received a $28k refund and then had to pay back $10k. So he ends up banking $18k of his fraudulent refund.
Well, that assumes that the $18K portion was fraudulent. I agree that without looking at all Nelson's relevant income and withholding information (especially his complete original and amended return or returns for that year), we don't know the reason(s) for the adjustments. Perhaps, after deleting the effects of the fraudulent Cracking the Code position, he actually was overwithheld. I don't know. Without complete data, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Granted, many of the wackadoosters at losthorizons would not hesitate to jump to conclusions without complete data.
From what I've seen, the IRS isn't consistent in its treatment of frivolous returns. Sometimes it treats the return as a nullity, imposes a frivolous return penalty, and classifies the taxpayer as a nonfiler. That seems to be what was done in Hendrickson's case, because (according to Hendrickson) no tax liability was ever assessed. But sometimes the IRS treats the return like a real return, but "corrects" the return for the stuff it knows are wrong. (See IRC section )

It looks like this was the latter type of case. The IRS first assumed that the return was completely wrong, and billed Nelson for the original refund. Then, when the numbers on the return were processed, and any deductions or credits claimed on the return were taken into account, the IRS made an administrative adjustment (I think that's what they call it) and "corrected" the return by including back in the full amount of the wages reported on the W-2, but allowing itemized deductions, adjustments to gross income, and other amounts shown on the return, resulting in what would have been a $10,000 refund if the guy had filed correctly to begin with.

Now, if the return were ever pulled for examination, those deductions could be disallowed, but as of 2008 the IRS seemed to be going by the return as filed (except for the CtC nonsense).
Dan Evans
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

The idiot eventually was assessed his back taxes, interest, penalties, and then probably lots in attorney fees ........ just to go down the flusher.

Yep, another CtC "victory".

Stand Tall Worriers! (And don't drop the soap .......)
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Note that the judge didn't have to say anything new to decide, just the usual answer o the same old same old.

It was a bland call, warriors!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4