Hendrickson's Brief in appeal of criminal conviction

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Hendrickson's Brief in appeal of criminal conviction

Post by Dezcad »

The brief in the appeal of PH's criminal conviction was filed by his counsel, William B. Butler, and can be found here.

Excerpts:
In his cross-examination, of Mr. Hendrickson, Mr. Leibson admitted into evidence the out-of-court claim that sitting Federal District Court Judge Nancy Edmunds disagreed with Mr. Hendrickson and thus also was “of the view” that Mr. Hendrickson had received wages during the years in question. This cross examination not only violated the Court’s Order in limine, it evidences an even more palpable violation of Melendez-Diaz as it allowed the prosecution to
collaterally attack Mr. Hendrickson with the out-of-court opinion of another federal authority figure. Included among the documents that the government admitted into evidence claiming that Mr. Hendrickson “received wages” were documents filed by the IRS in its civil case against Mr. Hendrickson. Prosecutor Leibson’s cross examination of Mr. Hendrickson therefore had the effect of placing a veneer of credibility over the out-of-court accusations in these
documents. Prosecutor Leibson did not call Judge Nancy Edmunds to the stand to
explain her analysis and why she believed that Mr. Hendrickson “received wages.”
Judge Rosen’s instruction actively misrepresented the literal language of the statutes that Mr. Hendrickson relied on in filing all ten forms under indictment. Judge Rosen’s instruction also directly contradicted Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony and did not allow the jury to objectively evaluate Mr. Hendrickson’s state of mind.
Mr. Hendrickson provided the jury with clear, concise testimony of his understanding of the definitions contained in sections 3401 and 3121 of the Code. Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony is completely, 100 percent consistent with the verbatim words contained in these statutes.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: Hendrickson's Brief in appeal of criminal conviction

Post by The Observer »

Judge Rosen’s instruction actively misrepresented the literal language of the statutes that Mr. Hendrickson relied on in filing all ten forms under indictment. Judge Rosen’s instruction also directly contradicted Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony and did not allow the jury to objectively evaluate Mr. Hendrickson’s state of mind.
Given the total lack of intellectual honesty of Pete, I can't imagine any jury instruction that wouldn't have contradicted his testimony.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Observer wrote: Judge Rosen’s instruction actively misrepresented the literal language of the statutes that Mr. Hendrickson relied on in filing all ten forms under indictment. Judge Rosen’s instruction also directly contradicted Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony and did not allow the jury to objectively evaluate Mr. Hendrickson’s state of mind.
Why would any reputable lawyer want any jury to objectively evaluate Pete's state of mind? That would turn Petey's sentence into a capital one, I'm sure....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:
The Observer wrote: Judge Rosen’s instruction actively misrepresented the literal language of the statutes that Mr. Hendrickson relied on in filing all ten forms under indictment. Judge Rosen’s instruction also directly contradicted Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony and did not allow the jury to objectively evaluate Mr. Hendrickson’s state of mind.
Why would any reputable lawyer want any jury to objectively evaluate Pete's state of mind? That would turn Petey's sentence into a capital one, I'm sure....
A clever lawyer might have been able to get him off on a plea of insanity...

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

The Observer wrote:Given the total lack of intellectual honesty of Pete, I can't imagine any jury instruction that wouldn't have contradicted his testimony.
Exactly.

There is always this problem, though, in Cheek-Ratzlaf "knowingly and willfully" cases. The judge must tell the jury what the law is, but must also do so in a way that doesn't prevent them from finding that the defendant held the proverbial good-faith belief. Virtually every convicted TP raises this issue on appeal. Anybody know of anyone other than Cheek and Ratzlaf who won?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Lorax

Post by Lorax »

Raising the issue of Pete's state of mind with regard to his understanding of the IRC is essentially a mistake of law of defense, and thus no defense at all. It's like saying a person shouldn't be convicted of murder because he believed murder was legal.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Lorax wrote:Raising the issue of Pete's state of mind with regard to his understanding of the IRC is essentially a mistake of law of defense, and thus no defense at all. It's like saying a person shouldn't be convicted of murder because he believed murder was legal.
Well, it does form part of a cheek defense. See Famspear's prior posts on the subject.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Imalawman wrote:
Lorax wrote:Raising the issue of Pete's state of mind with regard to his understanding of the IRC is essentially a mistake of law of defense, and thus no defense at all. It's like saying a person shouldn't be convicted of murder because he believed murder was legal.
Well, it does form part of a cheek defense. See Famspear's prior posts on the subject.
Yes, the general rule in American criminal law is that ignorance of the law is not a defense. However, there are exceptions that that rule, and federal tax crimes are an exception. Ignorance of the law might be a valid defense.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:Ignorance of the law might be a valid defense.
Certainly not in Hendickson's case. Too much evidence to show the exact opposite.

Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:......Anybody know of anyone other than Cheek and Ratzlaf who won?
I think Tommy Cryer raised the Cheek defense, and we know he was acquitted. I would assume that Vernice Kuglin (another pilot, like John Cheek) raised the Cheek defense, and she was acquitted.

We recall that John Cheek actually lost, once his case went back for a re-trial. Ultimately, in the second trial the jury found that his conduct was indeed willful. That conviction was upheld by the Seventh Circuit, and the Supreme Court denied his petition for writ of cert.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Libertas Lex wrote:Mr. Hendrickson provided the jury with clear, concise testimony of his understanding of the definitions contained in sections 3401 and 3121 of the Code. Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony is completely, 100 percent consistent with the verbatim words contained in these statutes.
Well, that's wrong.

From the testimony quoted in the brief:
A. The statute specifies that wages are remuneration paid to certain classes of people.

Q. What are those classes?

A. Well, I have the statute right here.

Q. I assumed you would. It’s essentially government workers?

A. Well, not exclusively, no.

….

The Witness: Okay. 3401(c) definition of employee is: An officer, employee or elected official of the United States, state or any political subdivision thereof or the District of Columbia or any agency or instrumentality of any one or more of the foregoing. The term of employee also includes an officer of corporation.
That is NOT what section 3401(c) says.

What section 3401(c) actually says is that "For purposes of this chapter, the term “employee” includes an officer, employee, or elected official of the United States...." (Emphasis added.)

By leaving out the word "includes," Hendrickson re-wrote the statute to conform to his conclusion.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:
wserra wrote:......Anybody know of anyone other than Cheek and Ratzlaf who won?
I think Tommy Cryer raised the Cheek defense, and we know he was acquitted.
I believe that Wes was talking about successful appeals following convictions.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

LPC wrote:I believe that Wes was talking about successful appeals following convictions.
Yeah, I wasn't sure -- but after re-reading his post more carefully now, I see.
wserra

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:I believe that Wes was talking about successful appeals following convictions.
Specifically appeals which succeeded on the grounds that the instructions impermissibly compromised the lack of willfulness defense - which every defendant who unsuccessfully asserts such a defense briefs.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
- David Hume
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:
Specifically appeals which succeeded on the grounds that the instructions impermissibly compromised the lack of willfulness defense - which every defendant who unsuccessfully asserts such a defense briefs.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I think it's more a case of my inattentiveness.

And, Wes, I think it's a good bet that you're more knowledgeable about the procedural histories of many of these leading cases than I am.

:)
wserra

Post by wserra »

Earlier this month, the Sixth Circuit notified the parties that the appeal "is scheduled for submission to the Court on the briefs of the parties and the record on Friday, November 18, 2011". No oral argument is generally considered a bad sign for appellant - not that Hendrickson has the chance of the proverbial snowball in hell anyway.
- David Hume
LPC

Post by LPC »

Rehashing an old issue:
wserra wrote:Virtually every convicted TP raises this issue on appeal. Anybody know of anyone other than Cheek and Ratzlaf who won?
On the LH website, and in his appellate brief, Hendrickson relies heavily on US v. Bass:
Hendrickson's brief wrote:In U.S. v. Bass, 784 F.2d 1282 (5th Cir. 1986), the Fifth Circuit reversed a false tax filing conviction where the district court’s instruction to the jury invaded the jury’s role as finder of fact and effectively instructed the jury to find, as a matter of law, that the defendant was an “employee” as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. Like the defendant in Bass, here Mr. Hendrickson objected to the Judge Rosen’s instructions and requested that Judge Rosen instruct the jury on sections 3401 and 3121 by allowing the jury to read the actual, literal language of these statutes.

The instruction to which Hendrickson is objecting was as follows:
Judge Rosen wrote:As it relates to the charges in this case, I instruct you that the term “employee” means any individual who performs services and who has a legal employer-employee relationship with the person for whom he performs these services.
26 U.S.C. §3121(d)(2); 26 U.S.C. §3401(c).
Which is entirely correct, despite Hendrickson's claims to the contrary.

The instruction in the Bass case was quite different:
U.S. v. Bass wrote:Now in order to prove a violation of 26 United States Code, 7205, the Government must prove four things. First, the Defendant was required to complete and file the Internal Revenue Service form W-4 with his employer, certifying certain information as to entitlement [to] withholding tax allowances; and two, that the Defendant did complete and file such a W-4 form; and three, that the information supplied by the Defendant to his employer as required under the W-4 forms was false or fraudulent as charged; and four, that the Defendant's conduct in supplying false or fraudulent information to his employer was done willfully.

[....]

You are instructed that as a matter of law the Defendant in this case was an employee of Sabine Industries and B & B Insulation Company and ANCO Insulation, Incorporated for the years 1980 [sic], and Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corporation for '81 and '82 and for Jacob Weese Constructors, Incorporated for the year 1982.
The difference between the language in Bass and the language in Hendrickson is quite obvious, because Judge Rosen never instructed the jury that Hendrickson was an employee; the judge just told the jury the correct definition of "employee," which the jury needed in order to determine whether the filings by Hendrickson were false. (Because Hendrickson was charged with filing false documents, and not income tax evasion, it was necessary for the government to prove that the Forms 4852 filed by Hendrickson were false and that Hendrickson did receive "wages.")

Hendrickon's claim that "Judge Rosen’s instruction also directly contradicted Mr. Hendrickson’s testimony" is quite silly in this context, because of course Judge Rosen's instructions contradicted Hendrickson's testimony, because Hendrickson is wrong about the law.

Hendrickson is entitled to claim that he misunderstood the law, but he's not entitled to exclude correct statements of the law from the jury.
Dan Evans
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Cheek did not actually win. He got a retrial, used his defense, and the jury convicted him.
LPC

Post by LPC »

fortinbras wrote:Cheek did not actually win. He got a retrial, used his defense, and the jury convicted him.
Once again, Wes was not asking about people who got acquitted, but about people who appealed convictions and won the appeal because of jury instructions that conflicted with their "willfully" defense. Cheek won the appeal of his first conviction, and Bass won the appeal of his conviction, as shown above.

But Judge Rosen did not commit either the kind of error in the Cheek case or the kind of error in the Bass case, which is why Hendrickson is going to lose the appeal (unless the appeals court gets very confused, or sees some error that none of the rest of us see).
Dan Evans