UPS Not a "Trade or Business"?

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

UPS Not a "Trade or Business"?

Post by LPC »

Today's warrior believes (among other things) that United Parcel Service is not involved in a "trade or business," that he is not an "employee" of UPS.

If this sounds like more of Hendrickson's nonsense, that's because it is, but the connection might be indirect, as is shown below.

Steven Martins v. United States, No. 10-12086 (11th Cir. 11/23/2010), aff'ng No. 1:08-cv-00212-MP-AK (U.S.D.C. N.D. Fla. 3/2/2010)
11th Circuit wrote:STEVEN MARTINS,
Plaintiff-Appellant,
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Defendant-Appellee.

DO NOT PUBLISH

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE ELEVENTH CIRCUIT

Non-Argument Calendar

D.C. Docket No. 1:08-cv-00212-MP-AK

Appeal from the United States District Court
for the Northern District of Florida

(November 23, 2010)

Before TJOFLAT, BLACK and WILSON, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:

This is a income tax-refund action brought under 28 U.S.C. § 1346(a)(1), I.R.C. § 7422(a). The taxpayer, Steven Martins, proceeding pro se, seeks refunds for the years 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2007 totaling $38,527. The Government moved to dismiss his amended complaint with respect to years 2005 and 2006 for lack of jurisdiction and, alternatively, for failure to state a claim or for summary judgment. Martins responded with a cross-motion for summary judgment. While the motions were pending, Martins moved the court for leave to file a second amended complaint. The court, in an order entered on March 2, 2010, then denied Martins's cross-motion for summary judgment, dismissed the refund claims for 2005 and 2006 for lack of jurisdiction, and granted the Government summary judgment on the remaining claims.

Martins now appeals the court's judgment in favor of the Government. He argues that summary judgment was improper because, in his relationship with the United Postal Service ("UPS"), he was not an "employee" and UPS is not a "trade or business," in order to make his renumeration from UPS taxable under the Internal Revenue Code ("IRC"). He also argues that the district court should have granted his motion to file a second amended complaint because he raised no new facts or theories of recovery.

I.

Summary judgment is proper "if the pleadings, depositions, answers to interrogatories, and admissions on file, together with the affidavits, if any, show that there is no genuine issue as to any material fact and that the moving party is entitled to a judgment as a matter of law." Fed. R. Civ. P. 56(c).

The Sixteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides, in part, that "Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived[.]" U.S. Const. amend. XVI; Madison v. United States, 758 F.2d 573, 574 (11th Cir. 1985). The IRC imposes a tax on the taxable income of every individual who is a citizen or resident of the United States, with some exceptions not applicable to Martins. See I.R.C. § 1(a)-(d). Taxable income includes, but is not limited to, "[c]ompensation for labor or personal services performed in the United States." I.R.C. § 861(a)(3), (b).

Taxpayer arguments that we have previously described as "frivolous" include:
that their wages are not income subject to tax but are a tax on property such as their labor; that only public servants are subject to tax liability; that withholding of tax from wages is a direct tax on the source of income without apportionment in violation of the Sixteenth Amendment; that withholding taxes violates equal protection; [and] that they should be allowed to exclude from the amount of wages that they receive the cost of maintaining their well-being.
Motes v. United States, 785 F.2d 928, 928 (11th Cir. 1986) (per curiam). More generally, we have long held as frivolous taxpayer claims that income "derived from employment in the private sector[] is not subject to federal taxation." United States v. Morse, 532 F.3d 1130, 1132-33 (11th Cir. 2008) (per curiam).

Martins's complaint alleged that the compensation that he received for his services from UPS is non-taxable, based on a narrow reading of the statutory language in the IRC and because he worked for a private sector corporation. These arguments are frivolous. See Morse, 532 F.3d at 1132-33; Motes, 785 F.2d at 928; I.R.C. § 7701(c). Because there was no dispute as to a genuine issue of material fact and because Martins's legal arguments are frivolous, the district court did not err in granting the Government's motion for summary judgment.

II.

We review a district court's denial of a motion to file an amended complaint for abuse of discretion. Hall v. United Ins. Co. of America, 367 F.3d 1255, 1262 (11th Cir. 2004). "Ordinarily, if the underlying facts or circumstances relied upon by a plaintiff may be a proper subject of relief, leave to amend should be freely given." Id. (internal quotations and citations omitted). Conversely, a district court may properly deny leave to amend the complaint under Rule 15(a) when such amendment would be futile, such as when the amended complaint would nonetheless be subject to dismissal. Id. at 1262-63.

Here, the district court did not abuse its discretion in denying Martins's request to file a second amended complaint. The proposed second amended complaint relied upon the same facts and legal arguments as his first amended complaint, which as explained above, were frivolous. Because Martins's amendment would have been futile, the district court properly denied his request to amend.

AFFIRMED.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Re: UPS Not a "Trade or Business"?

Post by LPC »

Martins seems to have some connection to "warrior David Nelson," as can be seen from the district court's opinion:
Plaintiff’s complaint raises issues recently decided in [David] Nelson v. United States of America, Case No. 3:08cv508-MCR/EMT. In fact, the complaints (and other motions) filed by
the plaintiffs in the two cases, and the procedural tactics by both plaintiffs, are almost identical.

As Magistrate Judge Timothy found in addressing the arguments raised by Mr. Nelson, these “tax protestor” arguments have been consistently rejected by the Supreme Court and numerous other courts of appeals as frivolous. See Doc. 33 in Case No. 3:08cv508, citing Cheek v. United States, 498 U.S. 192, 195, 204 (1991) (noting arguments that the Sixteenth Amendment “does not authorize the imposition of an income tax on individuals[ ] and that the Sixteenth Amendment is unenforceable” have been characterized by the courts as frivolous or have been frequently rejected); Marino v. Brown, 357 F.3d 143, 147 (1st Cir. 2004) (sanctioning appellant for pursuing tax protestor arguments on appeal); United States v. Cooper, 170 F.3d 691, 691 (7th Cir. 1999) (noting that typical tax protestor arguments are “frivolous squared”); McKee v.United States, 781 F.2d 1043, 1047 (4th Cir. 1986) (stating that it is frivolous “to take a position which indicates a desire to impede the administration of tax laws”); Sauers v. Commissioner, 771 F.2d 64, 66 n.2 (3d Cir. 1985) (cataloging frivolous tax protestor arguments); May v. Commissioner, 752 F.3d 1301, 1306 n.5 (8th Cir. 1985) (describing frustration at having to address “well-worn general challenges to the Internal Revenue Code”); and Schiff v. Commissioner, 751 F.2d 116, 117 (2d Cir. 1984) (noting that federal courts have rejected the argument that tax laws are unconstitutional “countless times”).

Likewise, Plaintiff’s arguments over the plain meaning of the words “wages,” “employee,” and “business,” are frivolous as well and do not warrant consideration. (See Doc. 33 in Case No. 3:08cv508 disposing of similar arguments).
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Gee, even by Hendrickson's standards and his wacky theory of government privlege UPS still carries US Mail on their aircraft, and would indeed be "Income as defined" by the voices in Pete's head.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC

Post by LPC »

11th Circuit wrote:Martins's complaint alleged that the compensation that he received for his services from UPS is non-taxable, based on a narrow reading of the statutory language in the IRC and because he worked for a private sector corporation. These arguments are frivolous. See Morse, 532 F.3d at 1132-33; Motes, 785 F.2d at 928; I.R.C. § 7701(c).
I think I've lost track of how many tax protester arguments are based on a faulty understanding of the word "includes."
Dan Evans
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

LPC wrote:
11th Circuit wrote:Martins's complaint alleged that the compensation that he received for his services from UPS is non-taxable, based on a narrow reading of the statutory language in the IRC and because he worked for a private sector corporation. These arguments are frivolous. See Morse, 532 F.3d at 1132-33; Motes, 785 F.2d at 928; I.R.C. § 7701(c).
I think I've lost track of how many tax protester arguments are based on a faulty understanding of the word "includes."
Almost all of them?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

That's correct. United Parcel Service is not a statutory "Trade or Business." The statutory definition can be found here:
"(26) Trade or business
The term “trade or business” includes the performance of the functions of a public office."

Nothing else is defined or included in the Title 26 definition of "trade or business," that's it.
LPC, we know all about your faulty "includes" logic. Your deception is working on fewer & fewer people - just a handful of Quatlosers at this point. Remember, I make plenty of money, lawfully pay no income tax, and do not endorse private credit of the Federal Reserve. :mrgreen:
Paul

Post by Paul »

Good ole harvey. It's like yelling, "Hey, stupid!" to see who will answer.
ProfHenryHiggins
Distinguished Don of Ponzi Philology

Post by ProfHenryHiggins »

Harvester wrote:That's correct. United Parcel Service is not a statutory "Trade or Business." The statutory definition can be found here:
"(26) Trade or business
The term “trade or business” includes the performance of the functions of a public office."

Nothing else is defined or included in the Title 26 definition of "trade or business," that's it.
LPC, we know all about your faulty "includes" logic. Your deception is working on fewer & fewer people - just a handful of Quatlosers at this point. Remember, I make plenty of money, lawfully pay no income tax, and do not endorse private credit of the Federal Reserve. :mrgreen:

Harvester, lower that tail before some pervert takes it as an invitation to "come on in" the back way.

And if you think that "trade" is defined in that law, you badly missed all the other definitions of the word.

Have a few examples:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... -000-.html

The term "trade or business" also appears in this discussion of one of the Constitutional amendments, if you'd like a non-tax comparison.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/html/ ... _user.html
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And Harvey fails the "includes" test. Why am I not surprised?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

I worry that a more important point sometimes gets lost in the discussions about TPs' inability to understand simple English words. Even if "includes", "trade or business", "employer", "employee" and "wages" meant exactly what Harvey and Martins contend, the money Martins received from United Parcel Service would still be gross income under IRC §61. Gross income is all income from whatever source. Whatever Martins wants to call his pay, it was income.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Quixote wrote:I worry that a more important point sometimes gets lost in the discussions about TPs' inability to understand simple English words. Even if "includes", "trade or business", "employer", "employee" and "wages" meant exactly what Harvey and Martins contend, the money Martins received from United Parcel Service would still be gross income under IRC §61. Gross income is all income from whatever source. Whatever Martins wants to call his pay, it was income.
Yes. On another tack, I recall that there are cases where the courts have ruled that embezzlement is not a "trade or business." Yet, the receipt of funds obtained through embezzlement has been ruled by the United States Supreme Court to be the realization of income under the Internal Revenue Code -- even though the money does not belong to the recipient, and even though the recipient is required to return the money to its owner.
James v. United States, 366 U.S. 213 (1961).

Peter E. ("Blowhard") Hendrickson stumbled on this point as well. He was never able to formulate a valid explanation of his stupid idea that the federal income tax applies only to an "activity" involving the exercise of a "federal privilege".

"Trade or business" -- or not, and "federal privilege" -- or not...... these are rabbit trails. In many cases, the rabbit trails lead right into federal prison.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

Quixote wrote:I worry that a more important point sometimes gets lost in the discussions about TPs' inability to understand simple English words. Even if "includes", "trade or business", "employer", "employee" and "wages" meant exactly what Harvey and Martins contend, the money Martins received from United Parcel Service would still be gross income under IRC §61. Gross income is all income from whatever source. Whatever Martins wants to call his pay, it was income.
Incorrect sir. "Gross income is all income from whatever source" is not a definition of income. How dumb do you think we are? Your deception just isn't working anymore. "Gross blurv is all blurv from whatever source." Now what is blurv? Can't say, I didn't define it. The Internal Revenue Code does not define income and the Supreme Court concurs [link].

So good to hear from you again Famspear. I trust you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving, and that spectre of the former tax-slave didn't trouble your sleep much. :mrgreen:

([link] above is exactly what was written. Nothing redacted by the moderators.)
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Harvester wrote:.............How dumb do you think we are?......
:lol:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

" Hey you woodchucks, you better stop chucking my wood!!"
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

The image I had of a ton or two of legal bricks falling upon Harvester's initial trollish post has become reality. What a surprise.

Next, I imagine a further ton or two falling on him, and then finally Webhick will conduct the requisite ceremony over what little remains. I'd urge a ban, considering that he continually insists on making nothing but totally discredited "arguments," but then again, like Van Pelt he's good for amusement, so he'll probably be tolerated.

I can understand this. It's unfortunate, but necessary in view of the dearth of TP morons to make fun of, most of them already being in prison.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Paul

Post by Paul »

"Gross income is all income from whatever source" is not a definition of income.
Absolutely correct. It's a the first step in the definition of "taxable income," which is "gross income" minus deductions and exemptions, and just happens to be the base on which the income tax is measured. And, according to Section 61, the base includes ALL income from whatever source, except as provided somewhere in the IRC, minus deductions and exemptions that are specified in great detail. And nowhere does the IRS even imply, much less "provide" that income that is not from a trade or business (or wages paid by someone who is not in a trade or business) is not included in "gross income."

But trying to get a sand crawler to follow a trail of thought is expecting too much.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

. wrote:The image I had of a ton or two of legal bricks falling upon Harvester's initial trollish post has become reality. What a surprise.

Next, I imagine a further ton or two falling on him, and then finally Webhick will conduct the requisite ceremony over what little remains. I'd urge a ban, considering that he continually insists on making nothing but totally discredited "arguments," but then again, like Van Pelt he's good for amusement, so he'll probably be tolerated.

I can understand this. It's unfortunate, but necessary in view of the dearth of TP morons to make fun of, most of them already being in prison.
No. As I said in another thread, Harvey has lost all entertainment value for me. He has become colossally boring. It's like listening to the same bad 70s disco record over and over again -- you may at first enjoy it because "it's so bad, it's good"; but eventually that wears away and you only get annoyed.

I wouldn't mind if Harvey actually said something worthwhile; but he has long since proved that he is either incapable or unwilling to do so.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

For those that imagine that income is not defined for income tax purposes, please see, for example, http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/ ... w_Glass_Co.
Opinion of the Court
The Supreme Court, in an opinion by Chief Justice Earl Warren, held that the award of treble damages was taxable income.

In the opinion, Warren pointed out that the language of section 22(a) (the predecessor of current section 61(a)) was employed by Congress in order utilize "the full measure of its taxing power," as provided for under the Sixteenth Amendment. Essentially, Congress, in enacting section 22(a), intended to tax all gains except those specifically exempted.

The Court then held that the amounts received by the taxpayers in this case were "instances of undeniable accessions to wealth, clearly realized, and over which the taxpayers have complete dominion."

This three-part "test" for determining income is broader than the earlier test employed by the Court in Eisner v. Macomber, and is to this day the preferred test for identifying gross income.
All accessions to wealth, clearly realized, and over which the taxpayers have complete dominion except those specifically exempted are subject to income tax according to the Supreme Court.
Those that claim otherwise are not following the Constitutional manner in which laws are made and upheld despite how vehemently they say that they are. Denying the judicial authority of the Supreme Court is denying a basic tenet of the Constitution.

EDIT: above link does not work so for another example, please also see http://www.invispress.com/law/tax/glenshaw.html
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

jg wrote:For those that imagine that income is not defined for income tax purposes, please see, for example, http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/ ... w_Glass_Co.
Opinion of the Court
The Supreme Court, in an opinion by Chief Justice Earl Warren, held that the award of treble damages was taxable income.

In the opinion, Warren pointed out that the language of section 22(a) (the predecessor of current section 61(a)) was employed by Congress in order utilize "the full measure of its taxing power," as provided for under the Sixteenth Amendment. Essentially, Congress, in enacting section 22(a), intended to tax all gains except those specifically exempted.

The Court then held that the amounts received by the taxpayers in this case were "instances of undeniable accessions to wealth, clearly realized, and over which the taxpayers have complete dominion."

This three-part "test" for determining income is broader than the earlier test employed by the Court in Eisner v. Macomber, and is to this day the preferred test for identifying gross income.
All accessions to wealth, clearly realized, and over which the taxpayers have complete dominion except those specifically exempted are subject to income tax according to the Supreme Court.

Those that claim otherwise are not following the Constitutional manner in which laws are made and upheld despite how vehemently they say that they are. Denying the judicial authority of the Supreme Court is denying a basic tenet of the Constitution.
These idiots know as much about the Constitution, the Supreme Court's authority, legal scholarship and statutory interpretation as I do about aviation mechanics. All they know how to do is strip-mine legal resources in search of quotes or Magic Words (if in Latin, all the better) with which they can "buttress" their fondest political desires.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Harvester

Post by Harvester »

A ban for possessing a view of taxation different than the Quatlosers; seems a bit harsh Mr. Period. Can't we just agree to disagree? I see you've fallen into the same old name calling when logic fails. And where is my 2-ton of legal bricks or any evidence of the reality they've fallen anywhere near me? Perhaps they were delivered to someone else and you could kindly place another order for me? Let the reader decide who the greater moron is; the tax-slave defending the plantation or the Harvester who's walked away from it freely.