Hatch is at it again

Nikki

Hatch is at it again

Post by Nikki »

Stupid is as stupid does:
Reality TV star Richard Hatch appeared in federal court Wednesday to face new accusations that he failed to refile his 2000 and 2001 tax returns, which would violate the terms of the supervised release he received following a tax evasion conviction.

Hatch was convicted in 2006 of failing to pay taxes on the $1 million prize he won on the first season of "Survivor" and spent more than three years in prison. Last year, he began a three-year period of supervised release and is supposed to refile and pay his taxes on the "Survivor" winnings and other income.

The federal probation office, which had been monitoring Hatch, has filed a complaint alleging that Hatch failed to refile his taxes. A hearing scheduled for Wednesday was postponed until Jan. 10 at the request of Hatch's public defender. Hatch could go back to jail for two years if a judge determines that he violated his probation.

Hatch did not speak in court but told reporters afterward that he expected the truth to come out in the hearing.

He would not directly answer when asked if he had refiled his tax returns, though he told The Providence Journal as recently as last month that the Internal Revenue Service had given him two $1,000 refund checks, and said that was "unequivocal proof" he owed nothing.

"I'm looking forward to the hearing. That's where you'll hear the facts," Hatch said, later adding, "This is the only way the facts actually get before the court."

U.S. District Judge William Smith told Hatch he considered the issue straightforward and would not let the hearing get "overcomplicated."

"We're not going to relitigate your trial," Smith said. "We're not going to litigate other issues you feel are important."

Hatch filed a motion last month seeking an early end to his supervised release and said he had complied with all of the conditions. His request was denied.

Barry Weiner, the chief U.S. probation officer in Rhode Island, said Hatch had more than enough time to refile his returns. He said cases on supervision come up for periodic review and that defendants are generally given time to meet all of the conditions.

"The system has given Mr. Hatch a year to come into compliance with supervised release," he said.

Hatch, who gained fame and wealth following his "Survivor" success, has been deemed eligible for a public defender. But even that did not go smoothly. On the standard request form asking defendants to swear that everything they have written is "true and correct," Hatch crossed out the word "true" and replaced it with the word "honest."

Smith ordered that a new form be drawn up.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Hatch is at it again

Post by Famspear »

From the report:
He [Hatch] would not directly answer when asked if he had refiled his tax returns, though he told The Providence Journal as recently as last month that the Internal Revenue Service had given him two $1,000 refund checks, and said that was "unequivocal proof" he owed nothing.

[ . . . ]

U.S. District Judge William Smith told Hatch he considered the issue straightforward and would not let the hearing get "overcomplicated."

"We're not going to relitigate your trial," Smith said. "We're not going to litigate other issues you feel are important."

[ . . . ]

On the standard request form asking defendants to swear that everything they have written is "true and correct," Hatch crossed out the word "true" and replaced it with the word "honest."
OK, I have a feeling this might not turn out well for Mr. Hatch. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like he may have been drinking some sort of Kool-Aid.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Hatch did not speak in court but told reporters afterward that he expected the truth to come out in the hearing.
At which point he should appeal immediately (to paraphrase an old lawyer joke).
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

CaptainKickback wrote:Donate socks and soap to charity.
You're going to give someone who has to eat out of a dumpster items that came that close to Hatch? Don't they have it bad enough already?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Why does Hatch have to refile? I can see it being required before release as a show he's learned something but now, does that mean we have still not been paid?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

CaptainKickback wrote:
webhick wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote:Donate socks and soap to charity.
You're going to give someone who has to eat out of a dumpster items that came that close to Hatch? Don't they have it bad enough already?
No, I was thinking more of a bar game. Get people all liquored up, spin a wheel of chance and if your number comes up you get the PRIVILEGE of beating the crap out of some over-privileged, superior-to-thou, arrogant, unlikeable, *ss-clown. Charge a modest entry fee for the PRIVILEGE and donate the proceeds to charity.
Ooh,ooh :!: It's TAXABLE -- clever ruse.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

CaptainKickback wrote: No, I was thinking more of a bar game. Get people all liquored up, spin a wheel of chance and if your number comes up you get the PRIVILEGE of beating the crap out of some over-privileged, superior-to-thou, arrogant, unlikeable, *ss-clown. Charge a modest entry fee for the PRIVILEGE and donate the proceeds to charity.
I never realized you were a masochist, CKB. :lol:
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Dezcad wrote:
CaptainKickback wrote: No, I was thinking more of a bar game. Get people all liquored up, spin a wheel of chance and if your number comes up you get the PRIVILEGE of beating the crap out of some over-privileged, superior-to-thou, arrogant, unlikeable, *ss-clown. Charge a modest entry fee for the PRIVILEGE and donate the proceeds to charity.
I never realized you were a masochist, CKB. :lol:
You should see me dance to "The Masochism Tango."
WHOOSH!
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

CaptainKickback wrote: You should see me dance to "The Masochism Tango."
And DIP! Ole!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
webhick

Post by webhick »

Hatch really is at it again. They just released the cast list for the next season of Celebrity Apprentice and guess who's there...
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

I would suggest that BOTH the network and The Donald be very, very certain that the clause stating "income taxes are the responsibility of the contestant be in about 30-point type.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I can't see Donald Trump giving a position of trust to someone who plays fast and loose with business obligations.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

CaptainKickback wrote:
webhick wrote:Hatch really is at it again. They just released the cast list for the next season of Celebrity Apprentice and guess who's there...
A real whore he is.
What's that make Trump?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

LaVidaRoja wrote:I would suggest that BOTH the network and The Donald be very, very certain that the clause stating "income taxes are the responsibility of the contestant be in about 30-point type.
The trouble is that Hatch will certainly decide that he isn't responsible for paying any income taxes, because [insert the usual TD arguments here].
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
webhick

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:I can't see Donald Trump giving a position of trust to someone who plays fast and loose with business obligations.
The celebrity apprentice doesn't result in a job. The celebs play for a charity of their choosing and all the challenges (including the final) result in cash prizes which are awarded to said charity.

Maybe Hatch will choose WTP or something. I'm not sure if the charity has to have 501(c) status, but it sure as hell doesn't have to be that legitimate. Holly (one of last time's final two) chose a charity that she started with her husband whose goal it is to help those affected by autism but looks like it was just an excuse to throw parties because an extravagant amount of its income was spent on fundraising expenses.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Hatch's fake charity was one of his key issues in his criminal trial:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/rich ... 006795.php
Demo.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Hatch is going back to prison.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/01/11/33219.htm
- Richard Hatch, who won $1 million in the first season of "Survivor," violated the terms of his supervised release from prison, a Rhode Island federal judge ruled Monday.
U.S. District Judge William Smith of Providence said he would sentence Hatch after taking recommendations and briefs from counsel over the next three weeks.
Docket entry:
01/10/2011 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge William E Smith:Continued Preliminary Revocation Hearing as to Richard Hatch held on 1/10/2011. Andrew Reich and Lee Vilker for Government. Mary McElroy for Defendant. Probation: Barry Weiner. Defendant present. Court addresses. Defendant denies the violation. Two witnesses sworn and questioned. Five exhibits entered full. Arguments heard as to the Supervised Release Violation. Court addresses. Court finds defendant did violate the term of his supervised release. Court will defer sentencing on the violation. Counsel will have three weeks to file post hearing briefs as to sentencing recommendations and address the question posed by the Court. Sentencing to be scheduled following the submission of briefs. Recess.(Court Reporter Anne Clayton in Courtroom 2 at 10:42 a.m.) (Smith, Rana) (Entered: 01/10/2011)
EDIT: Added USDC docket entry.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Television Without Pity is pegging Hatch as a frontrunner in the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice because "he's had nothing to do in jail but scheme ways to win on more shows"

I'm so watching this season.
webhick

Post by webhick »

So, Apprentice premiered last night. It kind of snuck up on me. I'm enclosing my observations in the NSFW tag so it's hidden from those who are going to watch it and don't want to be spoiled.

The first challenge was for each team to run a pizza joint in NYC. As with most of the celebrity challenges like this, it's not about selling pizza as much as it is raising money. So, a slice of pizza isn't some reasonable price, it's in the triple digits. Hatch made it clear he wanted to be project manager and the rest of the team had no problems with that. He also insinuated that he'll keep taking the role of project manager, which is kind of a no-no since Trump wants to see everyone step up to the plate at least once. It think they'll have to fight him for it. Anyway, he's playing for Grassroot Soccer which teaches kids in Africa about AIDS/HIV using soccer players. No word of a lie, I almost took that description verbatim from Hatch's mouth. At least twice on camera, Hatch laid his hands on David Cassidy (who is much smaller than he is). It wasn't in a "I'm gonna kick your ass" kind of way, but it was a bit aggressive because if you need someone to move, just ask - don't physically move them. This was the big drama on the boys team.

Yes, "Richard Hatch touched me" took up a good portion of the board room discussion prior to and after the announcement of which team won. No one on the boys team liked Hatch as PM and thought he was too aggressive. He also came across as an asshole both in his dealings with the team and in his talking heads.

Also, David (who I will forever love for this) did one talking head where he said that Hatch may be more aggressive because he spent time in a federal penitentiary for cheating and lying. I think the powers that be may have cut that into the episode a couple of time.

Hatch's team lost. By a wide margin. The girls brought in something like $115k and I think the boys did like $55k. Hatch claimed that several of the boys did not bring in much money and singled out David Cassidy, Jose Canseco, and Gary Busey. Jose was doing the cooking so Trump gave him a pass. Gary was literally out on the street in an ill-fitted, pastel rental suit shouting pizza related crazy talk and passing out flyers and throwing pepperoni up in the air trying to get people in the door, so he was given a pass. I think David was helping out with the cooking as well, but I wasn't paying much attention to him. I do know that on one of his breaks he called up his daughter Katie and she came by and donated $1k. According to the edit, it didn't look like David was working very hard.

But that was kind of overshadowed by the "He touched me!" At one point, I think one of the Trumps asked if it was a good touch or a bad touch. Or maybe that was me. Can't remember. I should stop talking to the television, and more-so I should stop talking to the characters in my television. Fiona/Gabrielle Anwar is not going to hear me tell her to eat a burger and stay out of the sun because she's looking like a bony piece of leather. I am wasting my breath.

Now, forgive me if this seems scattered, for the boardrooms often bounce back and forth between the same two or three topics and there's a second part of the boardroom where just the PM and two potential fires come back. The second part is a more focused part of the first because there's less people for Trump to randomize. Also, for reference Jose and David were Hatch's two potential fires. But this is where Hatch was a giant beaming douchebag. Let me bullet point this and it's in no particular order:
  • Trump kept asking Hatch if he touched David and I think Hatch admitted that maybe he did and then towards the end emphatically insisted that he never laid a hand on David. Jose stood up for David and said that he saw Hatch do it. To David's credit (and perhaps Hatch's), he did confront Hatch during the challenge regarding the touch issue and Hatch apologized.
  • Once, when Hatch had the floor on the touch issue, he described David as small, sensitive, whining, delicate, in need of coddling, among other words that were just golden pillars of douchiness. Ivanka, my favorite person on this show, tried to stop him from digging his hole deeper by interjecting that David probably didn't appreciate being effectively compared to a woman. Hatches response was to agree a little and then dig his hole deeper. Ivanka could only smile and shake her head. Also, Hatch called Jose stupid.
  • It looked like Hatch did very little fundraising himself and very little work period. I think he called in some Survivor chums and "supervised."
  • Trump asked Hatch how he felt about the eliminations on this show being handled differently than Survivor and Hatch said that Apprentice is harder because Survivor eliminations were his decision and Trump calls the shots here.
  • Hatch claimed that David took too many breaks. David at first said that he only took one and then looked at Jose and asked "Did I?" and Jose agreed. Trump lost his shit over this because it seemed like David was looking to Jose for approval when David claims he was looking for Jose to back him up. After some back and forth, David admitted another break or two. Which Trump lost his shit over. David, if you ever read this post, you sealed your fate with needing someone else to stand up for you and then changing your story. Did you never see this show? Trump hates that shit! If anyone learns anything from this, no matter what happens if the entire team hates the PM, throw that SOB under the bus or you're going home for wimping out.
Anyone looking to read a real recap of the episode, which would be decidedly more focused on more than just Hatch, I highly recommend TWOP.
Last edited by Gregg on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cleaning up NSFW stuff
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Nine Months of Prison for Hatch on Probation Violation:

03/11/2011 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge William E Smith:Final Hearing re Revocation of Supervised Release as to Richard Hatch held on 3/11/2011. Andrew Reich, for Government. Mary McElroy, for Defendant. Probation: Barry Weiner. Defendant present. Court addresses. Government addresses the court as to sentence recommendation. Defense counsel addresses the Court as to sentence recommendation. Defendant allocutes. Court imposes a sentence of 9 months incarceration. Supervised release for 26 months to comply with the special condition imposed. Government requests defendant be remanded immediately, defense requests a surrender date. Defendant to surrender to the U.S. Marshal's Office on Monday, 3/14/2011 by 12:00 noon. Recess.(Court Reporter Anne Clayton in Courtroom 2 at 1:37 p.m.) (Smith, Rana) (Entered: 03/11/2011)