First Libbies, then Virginia, now South Carolina...

cynicalflyer
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

First Libbies, then Virginia, now South Carolina...

Post by cynicalflyer »

TO PROVIDE FOR A JOINT SUBCOMMITTEE TO STUDY WHETHER SOUTH CAROLINA SHOULD ADOPT A CURRENCY TO SERVE AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO THE CURRENCY DISTRIBUTED BY THE FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM IN THE EVENT OF A MAJOR BREAKDOWN OF THE FEDERAL RESERVE SYSTEM.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/cgi-bin/web ... &summary=T

The whereas clauses alone read like they are straight out of Von NutHouse's diary...
"Where there is no law, but every man does what is right in his own eyes, there is the least of real liberty." -- General Henry M. Robert author, Robert's Rules of Order
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: First Libbies, then Virginia, now South Carolina...

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"In the event of a major breakdown of the Federal Reserve System", South Carolina's economy, like those of the other 49 states, will be in such chaos that their fantasy currency won't make a damn bit of difference, especially outside their borders.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

"In the event of a major breakdown of the Federal Reserve System" South Carolina will revert to a barter-based agricultural economy.

Minor details like high-tech items originating elsewhere will have to be addressed on an ad hoc basis.

On the positive side, whatever causes the collapse of the Fed will leave SC as one of the few states not glowing in the dark.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Nikki wrote:"In the event of a major breakdown of the Federal Reserve System" South Carolina will revert to a barter-based agricultural economy.
With or without slaves?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Without. Everybody got the guns nowadays. Takes away the advantage.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

South Carolina
Nikki wrote:Without. Everybody got the guns nowadays. Takes away the advantage.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

South Carolina:

Too small to be a Republic, too large to be a mental asylum.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

Gregg wrote:South Carolina:

How about taking inspiration from Escape From New York? (And we'll know better than to let the President's plane fly over SC once it's fulfilling its function as a combination prison/asylum for the criminally insane.)
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Parvati wrote:

How about taking inspiration from Escape From New York? (And we'll know better than to let the President's plane fly over SC once it's fulfilling its function as a combination prison/asylum for the criminally insane.)
Nah, too hard to eliminate all the Snake Plisskens of the world. Wouldn't want anyone around who could break out.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Not quite:
After South Carolina seceded in 1860, [James L. Petigru] famously remarked, "South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum." This quote is still used to describe contemporary South Carolinian politics.
I was born and raised in SC but moved to Texas as soon as I could. Petigru was right, by the way. Texas, on the other hand, is large enough to be a republic and an insane asylum at the same time.
Last edited by Prof on Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My Health is Better in November."
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Prof wrote:.....Texas, on the other hand, is large enough to be a republic and an insane asylum at the same time.
Texas..... It's like a whole 'nother country!

:)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

CaptainKickback wrote:......And until Texas has Hollywood and San Francisco, they are unlikely to ever really aproach the insanity levels CA achieves.
Ummmm, you got a point there, pardner.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Prof wrote:

Not quite:
After South Carolina seceded in 1860, [James L. Petigru] famously remarked, "South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum." This quote is still used to describe contemporary South Carolinian politics.
I was born and raised in SC but moved to Texas as soon as I could. Petigru was right, by the way. Texas, on the other hand, is large enough to be a republic and an insane asylum at the same time.
Okay, I was paraphrasing because I was too lazy to look it up. It's still true.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:
In the article, the state assembly person sponsoring the bill refers to the items as "commemorative coins" not money. He seems to want VA to make some to sell for a profit and did not say and tries to distance himself from the items being money.

Von NotHaus and his Libbies walked a different path.
True; and if the assemblyman is being truthful, I would not only welcome the bill's passage but would also welcome having other states follow suit -- it would open up a whole new area of coin collecting; and as long as they didn't pretend that their "commemoratives" were money or a substitute for it, there would be no legal problem.

To alter the thread slightly: I live in a part of Boston which is predominantly Irish. I have long felt that the Irish government should come up with an issue of bullion coins -- with a nominal legal tender value, perhaps. I believe that small amounts of gold can be found in Ireland; and if so the bullion coins could be advertised as containing a bit of that gold. I'd bet that the coins would sell like hotcakes over here.
Pottapaug1938

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

...and for those who think that putting all of your assets into gold and/or silver is the way to go, here is another story:

http://www.theprovince.com/cars/Chilliw ... story.html
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:...and for those who think that putting all of your assets into gold and/or silver is the way to go, here is another story:

http://www.theprovince.com/cars/Chilliw ... story.html
I don't disagree about the part of putting all of your assets into gold and/or silver. However, I would like to add that this person's error wasn't about putting all of his assets into silver. His error was putting all of his assets in one place. The other error was letting more than one other person know where he kept those assets.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.