Former IRS Agent Joe Bannister calls on Obama & Feds to Stop

Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Former IRS Agent Joe Bannister calls on Obama & Feds to Stop

Post by Dezcad »

In this youtube video, Joe Banister exhibits his wild conspiracy outlook.
Bannister: Unfortunately, the U.S. government supports all sorts of eugenics type activities. It's really sickening that our own government would be supporting programs and activities.
Bannister: I've seen quite a bit of evidence that clearly there are programs to dump all of these chemicals on us. I'm not sure what the purpose is yet.
In fact, at the end of the video, he states:
Bannister: Well, I don't believe in that. But, the fact of the matter is that if people would just look into actual income tax laws, they would find that most Americans are not required to pay it the first place.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: Former IRS Agent Joe Bannister calls on Obama & Feds to

Post by LPC »

Makes it a whole lot clearer why he's no longer an IRS employee. He went whacko.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Last time I checked, this idiot's name was spelled "Banister."

Not that it makes any difference.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

. wrote:Last time I checked, this idiot's name was spelled "Banister."

Not that it makes any difference.
The extra "n" is for nutty.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Olsenfin

Post by Olsenfin »

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry over the prospect that my income tax return may be scrutinized by someone this delusional.

It reminds me of my last dealings with FINRA. I submitted a seminar I planned to give to a general audience and it was rejected. When I asked why, I was told that I'd mentioned "a specific security" without any acknowledgment that I would provide a prospectus at the time of such mention.

"What 'specific security' did I mention?", I asked.

The young man (he sounded young, anyway) resplied "The S&P500"!

Ignorance, like virginity, is curable.

But you can't fix Stupid.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And Banister runs into another obstacle....

JOSEPH R. BANISTER,
Petitioner - Appellant,
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent - Appellee.

Release Date: MARCH 04, 2011

NOT FOR PUBLICATION

UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE NINTH CIRCUIT

Tax Ct. No. 1356-06

MEMORANDUM/*/

Appeal from a Decision of the United States Tax Court

Submitted February 15, 2011/**/

Before: CANBY, FERNANDEZ, and M. SMITH, Circuit Judges.

Joseph R. Banister appeals pro se from the tax court's decision upholding the Commissioner of Internal Revenue's determination of a deficiency and an addition to tax in connection with unreported income for tax year 2002. We have jurisdiction under 26 U.S.C. section 7482(a)(1). We review de novo the tax court's legal conclusions, and for clear error its findings of fact. Hardy v. Comm'r, 181 F.3d 1002, 1004 (9th Cir. 1999). We affirm.

The tax court properly upheld the tax determination because the Commissioner presented the "minimal factual foundation" necessary to link Banister to the receipt of unreported income, Palmer v. IRS, 116 F.3d 1309, 1312 (9th Cir. 1997), and Banister failed to submit any evidence "showing that the deficiency was arbitrary or erroneous," Hardy, 181 F.3d at 1005.

The tax court properly upheld the late-filing addition to tax because Banister did not file a tax return for 2002 or provide any evidence suggesting reasonable cause for his failure to do so. See 26 U.S.C. section 6651(a)(1).

Banister's remaining contentions are unpersuasive.

AFFIRMED.

//*//

This disposition is not appropriate for publication and is not precedent except as provided by Ninth Circuit Rule 36-3.

//**//

The panel unanimously concludes this case is suitable for decision without oral argument. See Fed. R. App. P. 34(a)(2).
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

U.S. Tax Court wrote: Banister's remaining contentions are unpersuasive.
Just "unpersuasive" and not "frivolous"? VICTORY!
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
LPC

Post by LPC »

The 9th Circuit is affirming T.C. Memo. 2008-201, No. 1356-06 (8/27/2008).

So Banister failed to file a return for 2002, files a Tax Court petition in 2006, the Tax Court issues a decision in 2008, Banister appeals in 2009, and the 9th Circuit finally decides the case in 2011.

Say, five years from the notice of deficiency to the final judgment of the 9th Circuit (assuming no petition for cert.).

Banister has delayed the inevitable for several years, but he's also extended the statute of limitations for collections until 2021.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Banister throws himself onto the ash-heap of TP history.

Without reading the pleadings, I'll guess that "Banister's remaining contentions are unpersuasive" means that his many pages of garbage got laughed at by everyone who read them.

It must suck to be an ex-IRS agent, disbarred from tax practice before the IRS, not to mention having had his CPA ticket yanked by California, who then loses repeatedly in court.

That's a tough resume to sell. His only hope for guru-dom is a long stretch in prison.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

LPC wrote:The 9th Circuit is affirming T.C. Memo. 2008-201, No. 1356-06 (8/27/2008).

So Banister failed to file a return for 2002, files a Tax Court petition in 2006, the Tax Court issues a decision in 2008, Banister appeals in 2009, and the 9th Circuit finally decides the case in 2011.

Say, five years from the notice of deficiency to the final judgment of the 9th Circuit (assuming no petition for cert.).

Banister has delayed the inevitable for several years, but he's also extended the statute of limitations for collections until 2021.
The filing of an appeal of the Tax Court decision does not require the IRS to delay the entry of an assessment. If I recall correctly, the IRS has 60 days after the entry of the Tax Court decision to make an assessment. The tax was likely assessed in the 2008-2009 time frame (shortly after the Tax Court entered its decision). The IRS can proceed with enforced collection during the pendency of the appeal.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

From the TC opinion, it appears that Banister argued that the notice of deficiency (NOD) was invalid because it did not take Banister's allowable deductions into account. The NOD did not ake the deductions into account because Banister never informed the IRS of the nature and amount of those deductions. The Tax Court noted that Banister did not present any evidence at trial of any deductions. Banister expected the NOD to reflect not only the information known to the Commissioner, but also information the Commissioner could have obtained through extrasensory perception.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
LPC

Post by LPC »

jcolvin2 wrote:The filing of an appeal of the Tax Court decision does not require the IRS to delay the entry of an assessment. If I recall correctly, the IRS has 60 days after the entry of the Tax Court decision to make an assessment. The tax was likely assessed in the 2008-2009 time frame (shortly after the Tax Court entered its decision). The IRS can proceed with enforced collection during the pendency of the appeal.
So Banister didn't actually delay anything, and the entire appeal process was a complete waste of everyone's time?

How unsurprising.
Dan Evans
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

He delayed payine, although the interest was still running.

He still has the opportunity to go around again, this time appealing an adverse CDP decision.