Oscar "Mr. OMB" Stilley in the news

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Oscar "Mr. OMB" Stilley in the news

Post by Demosthenes »

Stilley To Fight License Suspension

By Wanda Freeman
Friday, June 22, 2007 9:28 AM CDT
TIMES RECORD

Fort Smith tax attorney Oscar Stilley — feeling “like a cat in a dog pound” — said he plans to petition for a rehearing of the Arkansas Supreme Court’s decision Thursday to uphold a disciplinary suspension of his law license.

The decision relates to a 79-page brief Stilley filed in 2002 as part of a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of a commission set up to distribute money for economic development. Justices ordered the brief stricken from court files and referred Stilley to the Supreme Court Committee on Professional Conduct, citing him for an “inexcusable breach” of conduct.

After a hearing last year, the panel concluded that Stilley had used strident language in the brief and violated four provisions of the Model Rules of Professional Conduct. The committee recommended his license be suspended for six months.

In the unanimous decision, Justice Donald L. Corbin wrote: “It is abundantly clear that Stilley’s conduct in using disrespectful language toward this court, causing his client’s brief to be struck in its entirety, resulted in substantial prejudice to his client. Because Stilley’s conduct is ‘serious misconduct’ ... his six-month suspension is upheld.”

Stilley contended Thursday that the court justices “don’t like Oscar.”

“Here’s my position: What can you expect? They’re my accusers,” he said.

Stilley declared he will petition for a rehearing of the matter.

He said the high-court justices claimed he insulted them but invoked a rule against disrespecting circuit judges.

“Until they kill me, I’m here,” Stilley said. “I have a right to speak out. I think I’ve got a responsibility.”

Meanwhile, Stilley is also pursuing a longtime civil case in Sebastian County Circuit Court.

He is seeking a trial or rehearing of Judge Stephen Tabor’s contempt finding against him as well as some $44,000 in fines assessed relating to his failure to obey a circuit court order years ago.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

How long does it take Oscar Stilley to plant a tree?

Post by Famspear »

Oscar Stilley?

I have what I feel is the burning question of the day:

How long does it take Oscar Stilley to plant a tree?

My apologies if this has already been covered in Quatloos, but I have always wondered about this ever since I found, on Oscar Stilley’s web site a while back, at http://www.oscarstilley.com, the following claim in Stilley’s personal information page:

-----“He [Oscar Stilley] learned the value of hard work at an early age by planting more than 1.4 million trees to pay his way through college. Today he shows his clients the same level of commitment and determination.”

That page is no longer available, as Stilley’s web site is being changed at this time (I do have a PDF copy of the web page.)

I always thought the 1.4 million trees was a remarkable claim. Not “Oscar Stilley threw 1.4 million SEEDS on the ground,” mind you. Oscar claimed he PLANTED MORE THAN 1.4 MILLION TREES to work his way through college.

Let’s see now.

If Oscar planted 1.4 million trees to pay his way through college, a reasonable assumption would be that he planted those trees WHILE IN COLLEGE.

Assuming, generously, that it took Oscar, say, six years to obtain his four year college degree, what do we have?

365 days per year x 6 years = 2,190 days.

OK, 1,400,000 trees divided by 2,190 days = about 639 trees per day.

So, assuming 24 hours in a day, that’s about 26 trees per hour.

So, if Oscar never slept for six years, never attended class, and stayed up 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year for six years, including holidays, and did absolutely NOTHING BUT PLANT TREES FOR SIX YEARS, he still would have to have planted 26 trees PER HOUR, or 639 trees per day, for six years, for his claim to be true.

What a guy.

--Famspear
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I see your point.

By my calculation, if he used a machine that had the capability of planting, say, 1,000 actual four foot tall trees per hour, then he could "plant" 8,000 trees in a day by working 8 hours without stopping. At that rate, he could theoretically have planted 1,400,000 trees in 175 days working that way, planting 8,000 trees every day. If you spread that out over 4 to 6 years (we don't know how long he took to do it), I guess he could theoretically get the job done. For example, if he spread the work out over four years, the 175 days could have been done by working about 43 or 44 days each year (maybe in the summers, days off from school, etc.). --Famspear
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

43 days a year to pay your way through college? What does it say about a person's educational background when they can say: I can pay my tuition in a month in a half while earning minimum wage.

Yep, dem dere's some good schoolin'!
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Paul

Post by Paul »

I can pay my tuition in a month in a half while earning minimum wage.
I paid mine on less than that, and got a reasonable education. Of course, I had a "veteran's scholarship" to the University of Illinois, so my tuition was zero. Then I went to Stanford Law School and got REAL sticker shock.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Stanford? :shock:

Go Bears.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

As a squirrel I am always interesteed in the topic of trees and would like to say that most forestry students cannot earn enough tuition planting trees in the summer, so his tuition must have been be mighty low to begin with. And why would you list that as your crowning achievement for getting through school? Wouldn't you want to impress people by stating that worked on and won major cases... oh wait... I see...
“Until they kill me, I’m here,” Stilley said. “I have a right to speak out. I think I’ve got a responsibility.”
Well at least he thinks he has a responsibility.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

If he had a full paid scholarship, maybe he planted seeds to pay for books?

Work his way through college. That doesn't say paid for college so perhaps a misinterpretation?

Maybe paid for the liquor between classes.