Even an accountant's office isn't immune.

Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Even an accountant's office isn't immune.

Post by Parvati »

(Seems like this belongs here, but I might be wrong.)

Had the taxes done today, and stopped near the front desk to chat with our accountant before we left. He said he was surprised that I'd declared some of the smaller $-amount items and transactions because many (if not most) clients wouldn't. I said that my excessive diligence might be the result of growing up with tax protesters, and talked about it a bit.

The receptionist had been listening to all this, and when she chimed in, she said, "Well, I think it's wonderful!"

Thinking she was talking about the completeness of my returns, I said that it's certainly good for my peace of mind.

She looked puzzled for a second before she said, "Oh, I meant your family. I think it's great! Change has to come from somewhere. You should be *proud* of them! I see people coming in here all day long who end up paying thousands and thousands of dollars and sometimes they can't even afford it and it's just wrong...." etc. etc. etc. She was really off on a roll about how courageous she thinks tax protesting is, and how unfair the system is to "average people" who struggle enough without the government taking their money away. She must have said "average" ten times.

As her ramble continued, my accountant's jaw was dropping slowly toward the floor. By the time she'd stopped for air, a small, throbbing vein had appeared on the side of his neck. Judging by his coloring, I thought his head just might explode.

It looked like she was starting to get her second wind, so he sent her to the back for something. After she left, we stood there and looked at each other. Frankly, I was trying not to laugh because he really just looked so perfectly stunned. It's like he's been subjected to some kind of hideous ideological flashing incident, and he'd be far happier if he hadn't learned what she's been concealing behind her usually tightly-belted trenchcoat of quiet reliability.

I can't help but wonder if she'll be there next week.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
bmielke

Re: Even an accountant's office isn't immune.

Post by bmielke »

Parvati wrote:She looked puzzled for a second before she said, "Oh, I meant your family. I think it's great! Change has to come from somewhere. You should be *proud* of them! I see people coming in here all day long who end up paying thousands and thousands of dollars and sometimes they can't even afford it and it's just wrong...." etc. etc. etc. She was really off on a roll about how courageous she thinks tax protesting is, and how unfair the system is to "average people" who struggle enough without the government taking their money away. She must have said "average" ten times.
Maybe she thought you meant people who stood in front of IRS building picketing and not the same kind of TP we talk about.

Although I once ran into a TP/Brither/Troofer Nurse Practioner/Lawyer while getting a flu shot. I was rather scared.
Parvati

Post by Parvati »

bmielke wrote: Maybe she thought you meant people who stood in front of IRS building picketing and not the same kind of TP we talk about.
Given that the conversation she was commenting on was primarily about the stupid things that TPs say and do to get out of paying taxes (like the "includes" argument, sovereign citizenship and etc.), I think the woman knew exactly what we were talking about.

She seemed to place blame for "everything wrong with this country" on a lack of Christian faith, which apparently makes us turn to politicians to fix things instead of doing what we know is right. That's a rather TP-ish thing, too. The TP/conspiracy theorist who draws pictures of mutant rodent people from prison seems to have that "God is on *my* side and that makes me right" thing going on, too, but damned if you could prove it by looking at his legal situation.

(Edited to change "they" to "we.")
Last edited by Parvati on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
bmielke

Post by bmielke »

Parvati wrote:
bmielke wrote: Maybe she thought you meant people who stood in front of IRS building picketing and not the same kind of TP we talk about.
Given that the conversation she was commenting on was primarily about the stupid things that TPs say and do to get out of paying taxes (like the "includes" argument, sovereign citizenship and etc.), I think the woman knew exactly what we were talking about.

She seemed to place blame for "everything wrong with this country" on a lack of Christian faith, which apparently makes us turn to politicians to fix things instead of doing what they know is right. That's a rather TP-ish thing, too. The TP/conspiracy theorist who draws pictures of mutant rodent people from prison seems to have that "God is on *my* side and that makes me right" thing going on, too, but damned if you could prove it by looking at his legal situation.
Well was she blonde? Because a blonde can offten miss a lot of facts.
Parvati

Post by Parvati »

bmielke wrote: Well was she blonde? Because a blonde can offten miss a lot of facts.
I resemble that remark.
Pantherphil
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Pantherphil »

Yes, but they have more fun. Or so I'm told.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

My Aunt Dorothy tried every hair color known--and this was in the sixties. She said blondes don't have more fun, but that she had the most fun when her hair was purple.

I am but a bud on a warped and evil tree. But wouldn't trade my family for anyone else.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I didn't know you were related to Mrs. Slocombe.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Arthur Rubin wrote:I didn't know you were related to Mrs. Slocombe.
Must not say the P-word...
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

My Aunt Dorothy was much, much hotter than that. Her baby blue MG Midget was the first sportscar I ever got to ride in. And she did not keep cats.

I love a role model.
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

Cathulhu wrote:My Aunt Dorothy was much, much hotter than that. Her baby blue MG Midget was the first sportscar I ever got to ride in. And she did not keep cats.

I love a role model.

What did she do with them?
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

iplawyer wrote:
Cathulhu wrote:My Aunt Dorothy was much, much hotter than that. Her baby blue MG Midget was the first sportscar I ever got to ride in. And she did not keep cats.

I love a role model.

What did she do with them?
There are some family secrets men are not meant to know.