Easterbrook *and* Posner

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Easterbrook *and* Posner

Post by LPC »

The Supreme Court denied cert yesterday in a tax protester case I'd never heard of, and I found that the circuit panel had included both Frank Easterbrook and Richard Posner. The third judge, Diane Wood, is no slouch either, her name having been mentioned several times as a possible Supreme Court nomination.

Steven C. Denk v. Shulman, No. 10-2563 (7th Cir. 2010) (sanctions of $4,000 imposed for frivolous appeal), cert. den. No. 10-1146 (4/25/2011).
7th Circuit wrote:NONPRECEDENTIAL DISPOSITION
To be cited only in accordance with Fed. R. App. P. 32.1

United States Court of Appeals For the Seventh Circuit
Chicago, Illinois 60604

Submitted November 30, 2010*
Decided December 21, 2010

Before
FRANK H. EASTERBROOK, Chief Judge
RICHARD A. POSNER, Circuit Judge
DIANE P. WOOD, Circuit Judge

No. 10-2563

STEVEN C. DENK,
Plaintiff-Appellant,
v.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Defendant-Appellee.

Appeal from the United
States District Court for the
Northern District of Illinois,
Eastern Division.
No. 09 C 5891

Charles R. Norgle, Judge.

Order

The Internal Revenue Service notified Steven Denk that he owes $1.2 million in taxes. The notice told Denk that he could contest this assessment in the Tax Court, or that he could pay and sue for a refund in a United States District Court. Denk did not take either option. Without paying, he filed this suit in district court—not against the United States (the right defendant in a suit seeking a refund), but against the Commissioner of Internal Revenue and eight of the Commissioner’s subordinates. The complaint makes several tax-protest arguments, such as that Congress is powerless to tax incomes of natural persons and that the defendants have violated the Constitution by refusing to concede that their collection efforts are unlawful. Denk asked the judge to enjoin the defendants
from trying to enforce the Internal Revenue Code against him.

The United States filed a certificate under the Westfall Act, 28 U.S.C. §2679(b)(2), (d), and the district court substituted the United States as the defendant, which explains the caption on this order. The substitution requires the litigation to proceed under the Federal Tort Claims Act, which, because it does not cover any claim related to the “assessment or collection of any tax,” 28 U.S.C. §2680(c), does not offer Denk any prospect of success. He would prefer to retain the individual defendants, but they are not proper parties. Denk wants to proceed under the implied remedy recognized in Bivens v. Six Unknown Federal Narcotics Agents, 403 U.S. 388 (1971), but we held in Cameron v. IRS, 773 F.2d 126 (7th Cir. 1985), that Bivens does not displace the elaborate statutory system for litigating claims related to taxation. Accord, Adams v. Johnson, 355 F.3d 1179 (9th Cir. 2004); Judicial Watch, Inc. v. Rossotti, 317 F.3d 401 (4th Cir. 2003); Shreiber v. Mastrogiovanni, 214 F.3d 148 (3d Cir. 2000); Dahn v. United States, 127 F.3d 1249 (10th Cir. 1997); Vennes v. Unidentified Agents, 26 F.3d 1448 (8th Cir. 1994); McMillen v. Department of the Treasury, 960 F.2d 187 (1st Cir. 1991). These decisions implement the Supreme Court’s directive that courts not use Bivens to circumvent limitations integral to statutory systems for contesting particular kinds of administrative action. See, e.g., Hui v. Castaneda, 130 S. Ct. 1845 (2010); Wilkie v. Robbins, 551 U.S. 537 (2007).

The Internal Revenue Service told Denk where, and how, to contest the agency’s view of Denk’s tax obligations. By choosing to disregard that advice, Denk ensured that his suit had no chance of success. A federal district court lacks jurisdiction to review unpaid tax assessments; to obtain review in a district court, Denk had to pay and sue for a refund. 28 U.S.C. §1346(a)(1); Flora v. United States, 362 U.S. 145, 177 (1960). What is more, the Tax Injunction Act, 26 U.S.C. §7421(a), bars the sort of prospective relief that Denk seeks.

Denk’s appeal is frivolous. We give Denk 14 days to show cause why we should not
impose a sanction of $4,000, the normal fine for frivolous tax-protest appeals. See Szopa
v. United States, 460 F.3d 884, 887 (7th Cir. 2006). The judgment is affirmed, and an order
to show cause is issued.

* After examining the briefs and the record, we have concluded that oral argument is unnecessary. See Fed. R. App. P. 34(a); Cir. R. 34(f).
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Re: Easterbrook *and* Posner

Post by LPC »

Denk's response to the order to show cause was 28 pages long.

He styles it as an "ANSWER TO COURT'S ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE AND DEMAND FOR LAWFUL ANSWER," but it's not clear what question he wants answered. After the usual Supreme Court citations taken out of context, he concludes with the following:
21. WHEREFORE, Appellant demands a lawful answer to his still unanswered though unambiguously declared, and still undisputedly verifiable and relevant subject-matter jurisdiction challenge of the still lawfully unproven presumptions by federal actors in this case, to include Defendants-Appellees that he is their federal income taxpayer for the alleged
tax periods.

22. AND FURTHER WHEREFORE, if these honorable appellate judges should rule against Appellant's instant answer to their order to show cause, to include his instant demand for a lawful answer to his aforesaid challenge, then they will have tacitly granted Appellant an even more profound answer; namely:

22.a. That the U. S. Constitution is dead for the likes of him,

22. b. That only the mummified remains of said Constitution can be argued to live,

22.c. That said mummy serves only federal actors both within and without the departments of their de facto U.S. Government and those special interests with whom they identify and to whom they owe their sponsorships,

22.d. That Appellant has no alternative but to obey their defacto rule of law or consequently suffer irreparable harm, damage, and injury for which there is no redress as intended under the dejure governing scheme no matter how imperfect it may have been, but instead Appellant has only such remedial rights and redress as now are permitted or denied him at the will of federal actors, to include those engaged in these proceedings, ab initio.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

LPC wrote:22.a. That the U. S. Constitution is dead for the likes of him,

22. b. That only the mummified remains of said Constitution can be argued to live,

22.c. That said mummy serves only federal actors both within and without the departments of their de facto U.S. Government and those special interests with whom they identify and to whom they owe their sponsorships,
At last! Some clarity reveals what really is the motivating fear for TPs/sovruns regarding their jurisphobia. They believe that the government is controlled by the undead! Vampires, mummies and zombies, oh my!

I can only surmise that these cretins have spent too much time watching Plan 9 From Outer Space.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC

Post by LPC »

I'm also not clear about what kind of relief he expects from a court that he believes has no subject matter jurisdiction.
Dan Evans
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

I'm disappointed. When I read "Easterbrook *and* Posner" I expected more than minimal judicial humor.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

. wrote:I'm disappointed. When I read "Easterbrook *and* Posner" I expected more than minimal judicial humor.
I know how you feel. When I saw it, I was expecting to see an announcement for a new dramady on USA Network called "Routinely Gavelled."
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Ragnar

Post by Ragnar »

"Denk’s appeal is frivolous. We give Denk 14 days to show cause why we should not
impose a sanction of $4,000, the normal fine for frivolous tax-protest appeals. "

14 days? Really? You give the guy 2 weeks to repeat the same stupid arguments? No wonder it takes 5 years to get these cases thru court.

You give the guy a day tops. Like it will even take that long for him to repeat the same frivolous arguments that were already denied. Should double the fine for stupidity.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

The court isn't asking him to revise and resubmit the appeal -- which could take a while if he actually attempts to construct a non-frivolous document. :roll:

Instead, they are ordering him to come up with a completely new document that will somehow justify the frivolous appeal to the extent that the proposed sanction not be imposed. That, if properly done <as if> will take more that overnight.