More Arguments Not Addressed

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

More Arguments Not Addressed

Post by LPC »

And no sanctions.

I wish the Tax Court made more pleadings available online, because I'd like to see what arguments the Tax Court "shall not painstakingly address" with "somber reasoning and copious citation of precedent."

There are some of the earmarks here of CtC (zero income return filed from Michigan), but not enough to be sure.

Interesting that the court would cite 9th Circuit decisions in a case appealable to the 6th Circuit. (Links were inserted by me.)

Matthew R. Perkins v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2011-207, No. 18240-09 (8/29/2011).
Tax Court wrote:MATTHEW R. PERKINS,
Petitioner
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent

UNITED STATES TAX COURT

Filed August 29, 2011

Matthew R. Perkins, pro se.

Alicia A. Mazurek, for respondent.

MEMORANDUM FINDINGS OF FACT AND OPINION

HAINES, Judge: Petitioner petitioned the Court for redetermination of a deficiency of $15,265 and an addition to tax under section 6654(a)1 of $145 for 2007. The primary issue for decision after concessions is whether petitioner is liable for a deficiency in his Federal income tax. We must further decide whether petitioner is liable for the addition to tax under section 6654(a) and whether we should impose the penalty under section 6673(a) upon petitioner.

FINDINGS OF FACT

Some of the facts have been stipulated and are so found. The stipulation of facts, together with the attached exhibits, is incorporated herein by this reference. At the time petitioner filed his petition, he resided in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

During 2007 petitioner worked for Mercy General Health Partners (Mercy). Mercy issued a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to petitioner reporting wages of $81,042 and Federal income tax withheld of $10,893. Petitioner submitted to the IRS a 2007 Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, on which he reported zero wage income and Federal income tax withheld of $25,600.

Respondent did not accept petitioner's 2007 Form 1040 as a valid return. Instead, respondent filed a substitute for return for petitioner for 2007. Respondent, using third-party payer reports, determined that petitioner had received wages of $81,042. Respondent determined petitioner's filing status was married filing separate and that petitioner was entitled to a personal exemption. Respondent determined a deficiency in petitioner's Federal income tax of $15,265 for 2007. Respondent also determined an addition to tax pursuant to section 6654(a) of $145.

Respondent introduced into evidence Mercy's payroll records to prove that petitioner was employed by Mercy during 2007, that Mercy paid petitioner wages of $81,042, and that Mercy had withheld Federal income tax of $10,893. Petitioner did not deny receipt of the wages, did not deny that he worked at Mercy, and did not deny that Mercy had withheld Federal income tax. Yet petitioner argues that the Form W-2 Mercy issued is invalid.

At trial we advised petitioner that his arguments were frivolous and warned him that we might impose sanctions if he continued to make frivolous arguments before the Court in the future.

OPINION

I. Deficiencies in Federal Income Tax and
Unreported Wage Income

Section 61(a)(1) defines gross income as all income from whatever source derived, including compensation for services (i.e., wage income).

As a general rule, the taxpayer bears the burden of proving the Commissioner's deficiency determinations incorrect. Rule 142(a); Welch v. Helvering, 290 U.S. 111, 115 (1933). The Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, to which an appeal in this case would lie, however, has held that the Commissioner's determination of unreported income must be supported by at least a minimal factual predicate or foundation of substantive evidence linking the taxpayer to the income-generating activity or to the receipt of funds. United States v. Walton, 909 F.2d 915, 918-919 (6th Cir. 1990). In addition, if a taxpayer asserts a reasonable dispute with respect to any item of income reported on an information return filed with the Secretary by a third party and the taxpayer has fully cooperated with the Secretary, the Secretary shall have the burden of producing reasonable and probative information concerning such deficiency in addition to such information return. Sec. 6201(d).

To satisfy respondent's initial burden of production, respondent provided evidence to the Court of petitioner's employment and wages earned during 2007 through petitioner's Form W-2 and Mercy's payroll records confirming the information reported on the Form W-2.

Respondent having met his initial burden of production, the burden shifts to petitioner to prove the deficiency determination incorrect. See Rule 142(a); Welch v. Helvering, supra. However, petitioner has alleged that section 7491(a) applies to this case, shifting the burden back onto respondent. We do not agree. Section 7491(a) provides that if the taxpayer introduces credible evidence with respect to any factual issue relevant to ascertaining the liability of the taxpayer for a tax imposed under subtitle A or B of the Code, the Secretary shall have the burden of proof with respect to such issue. Petitioner has failed to introduce any credible evidence with respect to the factual issues relating to his tax liability. See sec. 7491(a)(1). Respondent's determination of petitioner's tax liability is based upon the fact that petitioner was employed by Mercy during 2007 and was paid wages by Mercy during 2007 and that Mercy had withheld Federal income tax from his wages in 2007. Petitioner has not introduced credible evidence to challenge any of these facts. Accordingly, the burden of proof remains on petitioner.

In order to meet his burden of proof, petitioner has advanced arguments characteristic of tax-protester rhetoric that have been universally rejected by this and other courts. See Wilcox v. Commissioner, 848 F.2d 1007 (9th Cir. 1988), affg. T.C. Memo. 1987-225; Carter v. Commissioner, 784 F.2d 1006, 1009 (9th Cir. 1986). We shall not painstakingly address petitioner's assertions with somber reasoning and copious citation of precedent, as to do so might suggest that these arguments have some colorable merit. See Crain v. Commissioner, 737 F.2d 1417, 1417 (5th Cir. 1984). We conclude that petitioner has not met his burden of proof, and thus, we sustain respondent's deficiency determination for 2007.

II. Section 6654(a)

Respondent determined that petitioner is liable for an addition to tax under section 6654(a) for failure to pay estimated income tax for 2007.

Section 6654(a) imposes an addition to tax "in the case of any underpayment of estimated tax by an individual". A taxpayer has an obligation to pay estimated tax for a particular year only if he has a "required annual payment" for that year. Sec. 6654(d). A required annual payment generally is equal to the lesser of: (i) 90 percent of the tax shown on the return for the taxable year (or, if no return is filed, 90 percent of the tax for the year); or (ii) 100 percent of the tax shown on the return of the individual for the preceding taxable year. Sec. 6654(d)(1)(B); Wheeler v. Commissioner, 127 T.C. 200, 210-211 (2006), affd. 521 F.3d 1289 (10th Cir. 2008); Heers v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2007-10. If the taxpayer did not file a return for the preceding year, then clause (ii) does not apply. Sec. 6654(d)(1)(B). Respondent's burden of production under section 7491(c) requires respondent to produce evidence that petitioner had a required annual payment for 2007.

Respondent has satisfied his burden of production by introducing evidence that (1) 90 percent of petitioner's $15,265 income tax liability for 2007 is $13,739, (2) that petitioner had filed a Federal income tax return for 2006 showing a Federal income tax liability of $13,337, and (3) that petitioner made insufficient estimated payments for 2007, having paid only $10,893. See Higbee v. Commissioner, 116 T.C. 438, 446 (2001). Petitioner neither argued nor established any of the defenses enumerated in section 6654(e). Consequently, petitioner has not met his burden of persuasion, and respondent's determinations are sustained. See United States v. Rylander, 460 U.S. 752, 758 (1983); Traficant v. Commissioner, 89 T.C. 501, 504 (1987), affd. 884 F.2d 258 (6th Cir. 1989).

III. Section 6673 Penalty

Section 6673(a)(1) authorizes the Court to require a taxpayer to pay to the United States a penalty in an amount not to exceed $25,000 whenever it appears to the Court that the taxpayer's position in the proceeding is frivolous or groundless. Sec. 6673(a)(1)(B).

It is within our discretion whether to impose the section 6673 penalty. We have often imposed the penalty in cases where, for example, taxpayers have presented arguments in administrative and judicial proceedings despite being warned those arguments were frivolous. See Burke v. Commissioner, 124 T.C. 189, 197 (2005); Rodriguez v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-92; Ioane v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-68 ($10,000 penalty imposed where taxpayer was warned months before trial that his frivolous arguments, lack of candor, and failure to cooperate in the stipulation process could result in imposition of the section 6673 penalty), affd. 108 AFTR 2d 2011-5162, 2001-2 USTC par. 50,489 (9th Cir. 2011). But see Lizalek v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2009-122 (declining to impose the section 6673 penalty where the taxpayer raised frivolous arguments for the first time in Federal court).

Petitioner made frivolous arguments during the trial; arguments universally rejected by this and other courts. We have made petitioner aware that by continuing to pursue these arguments, he subjects himself to the possibility of a penalty pursuant to section 6673. However, at this time we decline to impose this penalty.

In reaching our holdings, we have considered all arguments made, and, to the extent not mentioned, we conclude that they are moot, irrelevant, or without merit.

To reflect the foregoing,

Decision will be entered for respondent.

FOOTNOTE

1 Unless otherwise indicated, all section references are to the Internal Revenue Code (Code), as amended and in effect for the taxable year at issue, and all Rule references are to the Tax Court Rules of Practice and Procedure. Amounts are rounded to the nearest dollar.

END OF FOOTNOTE
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Re: More Arguments Not Addressed

Post by Arthur Rubin »

LPC wrote:And no sanctions.
Victory!
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

LPC wrote:
Tax Court wrote: During 2007 petitioner worked for Mercy General Health Partners (Mercy). Mercy issued a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to petitioner reporting wages of $81,042 and Federal income tax withheld of $10,893. Petitioner submitted to the IRS a 2007 Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, on which he reported zero wage income and Federal income tax withheld of $25,600.
Where did the other $15,000 in in tax withheld come from?
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

JamesVincent wrote:
LPC wrote:
Tax Court wrote: During 2007 petitioner worked for Mercy General Health Partners (Mercy). Mercy issued a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, to petitioner reporting wages of $81,042 and Federal income tax withheld of $10,893. Petitioner submitted to the IRS a 2007 Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, on which he reported zero wage income and Federal income tax withheld of $25,600.
Where did the other $15,000 in in tax withheld come from?
I was thinking the SS & Medicare withheld but that would only amount to about $6,200.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
LPC

Post by LPC »

JamesVincent wrote:Where did the other $15,000 in in tax withheld come from?
If the return were "CtC educated," he would be claiming a refund of FICA and Medicare taxes as well, but that would come to only about $6,200 on $81,000 of wages.

Oddly enough, the IRS assessed a deficiency of about $15,000, which makes me wonder if there was other non-wage income not reported in the decision. (Or is the $15,000 the difference between married filing jointly with two exemptions, which is what the W-4 probably allowed, and married filing separately with one exemption, which is what the IRS used to calculate the deficiency? I haven't taken the time to crunch the numbers.)

(Also note that the taxpayer is married and the wife did not join in the petition. Smart girl. And I see a divorce in their future if he doesn't wise up.)
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Kensie???
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
LPC

Post by LPC »

This was definitely the work of a Crackhead.

The Tax Court petition lists 48 (!) disagreements with the IRS determination, of which the following are most telling symptoms of a "CtC educated" nutjob:
Petitioner wrote:34. Respondent's figures incorporate positions taken by third parties.

35. Third parties took a legal position that they understand the tax laws and have so decided upon their legal conclusions as to the nature of themselves, the Petitioner, and the payments made to Petitioner through the filing of Form(s) W-2 .

36. Third parties took the position that Petitioner participated in a taxable activity subject to tax by an Act of Congress.

37. Third parties took a legal position on Form W-2 alleging they paid Petitioner amounts of "wages, tips, or other compensation " subject to withholding.

38. Third parties took a legal position on Form W-2 alleging`they paid Petitioner Social Security and Medicare "wages " subject to withholdings .

39. Third parties took the legal position on Form W-2 that they are an "employer" who is required to affix their name to and issue a Form W-2.

40. Respondent appears to agree with and support the third party's positions.

41. Petitioner has received no facts or evidence to support the positions and conclusions made by third parties and supported by Respondent.

42. Respondent appears to take the position that he prefers third party testimony and positions over Petitioner's sworn testimony.
The petition also complains about the $5,000 frivolous return penalty that was imposed for the 1040 that was filed.

More evidence of "CtC education" in the petitioner's pre-trial memorandum:
Petitioner wrote:I filed a timely married joint claim for refund for calendar year 2007 in early 2008. With that claim for refund, I disputed the underlying validity of the documents purporting to be information returns. I further attempted, using Forms 4852, to rebut and dispute the third party information. The use of the forms was in good faith at the time, based on study and research, and I had no desire to delay or impede federal tax laws. The irs.gov website, along with the Form 4852 itself, states to use that form if one receives an incorrect Form W-2. I thus attempted to correct the record. More recently, on further study, I realized I should not have used Forms 4852.
The last statement is never explained.

Also from the memorandum:
Petitioner wrote:Rebuttal of Erroneous Alleged by Respondent

Respondent seems fixated on attributing to me the allegation that I claim "I am not a federal
worker" or that supposedly only federal workers are subject to federal income tax (whatever that means). I deny making those arguments. I don't agree with Respondent's allegations. She
appears to want to confuse the court or attribute false arguments to me.

Respondent also appears to allege that I make the argument that "wages are not taxable income." I deny making that argument, and I don't make it now. Respondent makes another false or strawman argument to attempt to confuse or mislead the court.

Respondent alleges that I received income from certain third parties, and that I am trying to
argue that the alleged income is not taxable. She appears to put the cart before the horse. As has been shown above, and in the admissions on file, respondent's sole basis for the alleged receipt of income is the purported information returns and nothing else. I have given notice that the purported information returns contain erroneous information, and respondent has admitted to various facts which cast serious doubt upon the validity and correctness of the purported information returns.

Despite this clear dispute, no evidence has been presented by Respondent to support the validity of the information upon the third party documents, or even that such third parties were even required to submit the documents in the first place.
The allegation that the W-2s relied on by the IRS contain "erroneous information" would be something that the Tax Court would have been interested in hearing about, but Perkins never explained exactly *what* was erroneous.

One more section of interest:
Petitioner wrote:Requirements for information returns

IRC Sections 6051, 6045, and 6049 contain requirements regarding information returns such as
Forms W-2, Forms 1099-INT, and Forms 1099-B - who is required to submit such forms, and
who is required to be named on such forms. Petitioner relies on these sections to dispute the
documents purporting to be information returns. Petitioner also relies on 26 USC § 6201(d)
regarding disputes of purported information returns.

Along with this topic is that of the statutory definitions present within 26 USC § 3401 and §
3121, among others, which set forth foundational definitions material to this case.
Of course, section 3401(c) contains the definition of "employee" that Hendrickson usually ends up having to rely upon.

Although the vagueness of Perkin's arguments could be due to stupidity, it's more likely that he was trying to take the "neutral position" advocated on the Lost Horizons forum. He steadfastly denied making any frivolous arguments, but in the process really made no arguments at all, and his "case" ultimately rested on the claim that the W-2s were wrong, that you have to take his word for it, and so the IRS has to prove that the W-2s are right.

Of course, it doesn't actually work that way.
Dan Evans
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Your Honor, i must protest this shocking breach of procedure. All of these so-called "witnesses" are taking the legal position that i "shot" the "victim", and yet none of them has the qualifications to make such a determination.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4