Fifth (and Faith) Fail to Free

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Fifth (and Faith) Fail to Free

Post by LPC »

Not that interesting a case, but I had to post something to break the silence.

The devil is in the footnotes.

United States v. Anthony S. Puccio; No. 1:11-mc-91051 (U.S.D.C. Ma. 9/23/2011)
UNITED STATES
v.
ANTHONY S. PUCCIO

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
DISTRICT OF MASSACHUSETTS

MEMORANDUM AND ORDER ON
THE GOVERNMENT'S MOTION FOR CONTEMPT AND
RESPONDENT'S REQUEST FOR DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE

September 23, 2011

STEARNS, D.J.

In this case, the government seeks to enforce compliance by respondent Anthony S. Puccio with an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) summons issued pursuant to section 7602 of the Internal Revenue Code. See 26 U.S.C. § 7602. Presently before the court is the government's motion for an order to show cause as to why Puccio should not be held in contempt. The court heard oral argument on September 22, 2011.

BACKGROUND

On March 9, 2011, the government filed a petition to enforce an IRS summons issued to Puccio. Following a hearing on June 6, 2011, this court ordered Puccio to comply with the summons on or before June 28, 2011.[1] See June 7, 2011 Order (Dkt. #12). In a pleading submitted by mail on or about June 14, 2011, Puccio moved to quash the court's order. On June 29, 2011, the court denied Puccio's motion to quash, finding that the Powell criteria had been met. See United States v. Powell, 379 U.S. 48, 57-58 (1964). The court again ordered Puccio to "comply with the summons forthwith." See June 29, 2011 Mem. & Order (Dkt. #15) at 3. On or about July 5, 2011, Puccio filed a motion for reconsideration, which the court denied on July 7, 2011. On July 13, 2011, the government filed a motion for an order directing Puccio to show cause as to why he should not be held in contempt. On or about August 19, 2011, Puccio filed a request for documentary evidence.

DISCUSSION

I. The Government's Motion for Contempt

"Generally, a court may impose civil contempt sanctions pursuant to the minimal procedures of notice and an opportunity to be heard; the reason for this is that the civil contemnor may avoid the sanction by obeying the court's order." United States v. Winter, 70 F.3d 655, 661 (1st Cir. 1995). "A civil contempt must be established by clear and convincing evidence and the underlying order must be clear and unambiguous in its terms." Gemco Latinoamerica, Inc. v. Seiko Time Corp., 61 F.3d 94, 98 (1st Cir. 1995). Good faith does not relieve a party from civil contempt in the face of a clear and unambiguous order. Star Fin. Servs., Inc. v. AASTAR Mortg. Corp., 89 F.3d 5, 13 (1st Cir. 1996). On the other hand, a court may excuse a contempt where a party has made diligent efforts at substantial compliance, even though achieving less than "letter perfect" results. AccuSoft Corp. v. Palo, 237 F.3d 31, 47 (1st Cir. 2001).

In support of its motion for contempt, the government submits the declaration of Revenue Officer Barry J. Martin, which states that Puccio has refused to provide the IRS with the summonsed financial information and thus, he has failed to comply with the court's June 7, 2011 Order. See Martin Decl. ¶ 5. In his response to the government's motion, Puccio states that his "defense in court will be based on U.S.C. Title 26 and the Internal Revenue Service's compliance to it, along with my own compliance to show why I should not be held in contempt." Specifically, Puccio cites 26 U.S.C. § 7491(a)(1):
Burden shifts where taxpayer produces credible evidence. --

(1) General rule. If, in any court proceeding, a taxpayer introduces credible evidence with respect to any factual issue relevant to ascertaining the liability of the taxpayer for any tax imposed by subtitle A or B, the Secretary shall have the burden of proof with respect to such issue.
However, Puccio does not explain how or why this provision applies to his case; indeed, it does not, in light of 26 U.S.C. § 7491(a)(2):
Limitations. -- Paragraph (1) shall apply with respect to an issue only if --

(A) the taxpayer has complied with the requirements under this title to substantiate any item;

(B) the taxpayer has maintained all records required under this title and has cooperated with reasonable requests by the Secretary for witnesses, information, documents, meetings, and interviews; and

(C) in the case of a partnership, corporation, or trust, the taxpayer is described in section 7430(c)(4)(A)(ii).
The government asserts that Puccio has failed to cooperate with its reasonable requests for information and documents, as § 7491(a)(2)(B) requires. Thus, 26 U.S.C. § 7491(a)(1) does not apply to Puccio, nor does it provide him with a defense to the government's motion for contempt.

Here, the underlying order is clear and unambiguous in its terms. Indeed, the court has twice ordered Puccio to comply with the IRS summons. See June 7, 2011 Order (Dkt. #12); June 29, 2011 Mem. & Order (Dkt. #15). Puccio has failed to demonstrate diligent efforts to comply with the court's orders.[2] Therefore, the court will allow the government's motion for contempt.

II. Puccio's Request for Documentary Evidence

On or about August 19, 2011, Puccio filed a request for documentary evidence, stating: "I requested my IRS file from Agent Martin in writing on March 15, 2011. To date I have received nothing.[3] At minimum I am requesting copies of the actual IRS 1040 forms that Agent Martin created to assess my tax liability."[4] The government argues that Puccio's request should be denied because the information sought is irrelevant to the issue before this court[5] -- whether Puccio has failed to comply with the court's orders and is therefore in contempt. While Puccio's tax returns may be relevant to his underlying tax liability, the government contends that they are of no moment here, because
[a] summons enforcement proceeding is a limited action that seeks judicial enforcement of administrative process. It is not the forum for [Puccio] to contest his underlying tax liability. . . . To permit discovery on an ancillary issue that is irrelevant to the litigation would serve no purpose other than to provide [Puccio] a means of expressing his apparent dissatisfaction with the tax system through vexatious discovery.
Gov.'s Br. at 3 n.1. See also United States v. Lawn Builders of New England, Inc., 856 F.2d 388, 395 (1st Cir. 1988), quoting Maggio v. Zeitz, 333 U.S. 56, 69 (1948) ("[A] contempt proceeding does not open to reconsideration the legal or factual basis of the order alleged to have been disobeyed and thus become a retrial of the original controversy.").

The government further asserts that the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Massachusetts is not in possession of any of the requested materials.[6] Under 26 U.S.C. §§ 6103 and 7213, tax returns and return information are confidential. The government states that "in order to receive a copy of any of his returns, Mr. Puccio must request a copy of his tax returns by filing the proper request form (Form 4506) and including the requisite fee." Gov.'s Br. at 4, Ex. A. Because the United States Attorney's Office is not in possession of Puccio's tax returns, and because Puccio is able to obtain copies of his tax returns directly from the IRS, the court will deny his request for documentary evidence.

ORDER

For the foregoing reasons, the government's motion for contempt is ALLOWED, and Puccio's request for documentary evidence is DENIED. Pursuant to the authority granted by 26 U.S.C. § 7402, Puccio is hereby ORDERED to surrender to the U.S. Marshal at the U.S. Marshal's Office at the John Joseph Moakley U.S. Courthouse in Boston no later than 12:00 p.m. noon on Monday, October 3, 2011. He is to remain in the custody of the U.S. Marshal from day-to-day until such time as he shall obey the court's orders.[7]

SO ORDERED.

Richard G. Stearns
United States District Judge

FOOTNOTES

[1] The court stayed the immediate enforcement of the order to give Puccio an opportunity to reconsider his objection or to articulate any legal reason why (as he contended) the United States Constitution forbids the IRS from demanding that he produce the requested tax-related information.

[2] At the September 22, 2011 hearing, Puccio voiced his objection to being compelled to answer potentially incriminating questions by the IRS. As the court explained, the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination "applies alike to civil and criminal proceedings, wherever the answer might tend to subject to criminal responsibility him who gives it." McCarthy v. Arndstein, 266 U.S. 34, 40 (1924). The privilege "not only extends to answers that would in themselves support a conviction under a federal criminal statute but likewise embraces those which would furnish a link in the chain of evidence needed to prosecute the claimant for a federal crime." Hoffman v. United States, 341 U.S. 479, 486 (1951). However, unlike in a criminal proceeding, in a civil action an adverse inference may be drawn from the refusal of a party to testify on the grounds of possible self-incrimination. Mitchell v. United States, 526 U.S. 314, 328 (1999); Baxter v. Palmigiano, 425 U.S. 308, 318 (1976); Serafino v. Hasbro, Inc., 82 F.3d 515, 518 (1st Cir. 1996). A witness may not rely on a "bald assertion" of the Fifth Amendment privilege but must assert it specifically as to each potentially incriminating line of inquiry. See United States v. Goodwin, 625 F.2d 693, 700-701 (5th Cir. 1980). When a witness claims the privilege, the trial judge must then make an informed determination as to whether the risk of prosecution is real, "and not a mere imaginary, remote or speculative possibility. . . ." In re Morganroth, 718 F.2d 161, 167 (6th Cir. 1983).

[3] Martin sent Puccio a copy of his IRS file on August 23, 2011. However, this file does not contain copies of Puccio's tax returns. See Gov.'s Br. at 4, Ex. A.

[4] The government states that "Puccio has the mistaken belief that Revenue Officer [Martin] created 1040 forms to assess Mr. Puccio's tax liability. Tax forms are created and assessments are made by the IRS service center." Id. at 4 n.3

[5] As the court explained at the September 22, 2011 hearing, Puccio has other judicial venues available in which to contest the IRS's interpretation of the tax law as it applies to any assessment levied against him.

[6] According to the government, "federal law precludes receipt of tax return information [by the United States Attorney's] Office absent statutorily defined exceptions not present here." Gov.'s Br. at 3, citing United States v. Recognition Equip. Inc., 720 F. Supp. 13, 14 (D.D.C. 1989).

[7] It is with the greatest reluctance that the court will order a citizen held in custody for the violation of a civil order, particularly in a case like this one where I do not doubt the sincerity of Mr. Puccio's beliefs about the constitutionality of the tax laws, however misguided they may be. I also note that he has at all times displayed courtesy and respect for the court and has marshaled his arguments carefully and succinctly. That said, a society that governs itself under the rule of law cannot permit its citizens to pick and choose which among the laws they will or will not obey, at least if that society is to long endure.

END OF FOOTNOTES
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: Fifth (and Faith) Fail to Free

Post by Imalawman »

It does seem to me that tax protesting has really waned somewhat. There just hasn't been any really popular tax protestor gurus lately. I keep waiting for the next guy to arrive, but it's been a quiet year so far.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I'm weighing whether the millions I'd make conning other people (important point, I'm not a martyr) on some theory I could come up with is worth the respect I'd lose from people on here.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Gregg wrote:I'm weighing whether the millions I'd make conning other people (important point, I'm not a martyr) on some theory I could come up with is worth the respect I'd lose from people on here.
I always thought it'd be fun and educational to set up a series of fake scam sites (MLM, HYIP, etc) with the sole purpose of teaching gullible people an inexpensive lesson. They would be able to get as far as entering their credit card number (which wouldn't be looked at, much less stored or used) and then be told that it was a fake site and had it been real then they would have been scammed.

Not sure how I'd pull off a fake tax scam site. Maybe tout a few of the regular tired arguments and tell them that if they want how-to directions they need to use the handy online form to receive a free book at which point they'll be told how wrong all the arguments are.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

webhick wrote:Not sure how I'd pull off a fake tax scam site. Maybe tout a few of the regular tired arguments and tell them that if they want how-to directions they need to use the handy online form to receive a free book at which point they'll be told how wrong all the arguments are.
Start by hiring a web designer who is a 5-year-old with a head injury.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Imalawman wrote:It does seem to me that tax protesting has really waned somewhat. There just hasn't been any really popular tax protestor gurus lately. I keep waiting for the next guy to arrive, but it's been a quiet year so far.
Yes, and check out the mood of the people in this series of posts at Bob Hurt's web site over the past few days.

[ . . . ]

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:18 PM

[ . . . ]

I'm new to the group and need some help. I have been keeping the IRS at bay since 1999. However, now that I'm retired, they want to levy my Social Security which is my only source of income. I received a CP-91 last week. Over the years I've had outside help in preparing responses to their notices. However, they have now ceased to exist. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement.

Thank You!
George
The response, from "macwildstar" who is I believe one of Hendrickson's Heroes:

[ . . . ]

I recently saw an excellent comment in another posting in what group, I do not remember.

But basicaly [sic] the guy said, that since he had to turn to COURT decisions to find what "income" means legaly [sic], that fact alone proves that it is impossible for any common man to be able to properly determine tax liablity [sic], let alone file a tax return or any kind of tax reporting document that subjects the man to penalties of perjury.

The system is courrupt, [sic] and we cannot win. Sorry George, but you are going to pay them, one way or the other.

We stood up for what is right and we are going to get SCREWED.. bend over cause here it comes.. and many of us are in the same boat as you.
:cry:

A response comes from a poster named "Roy Dobbs":
On Sep 27, 2011, at 8:20 PM, Roy Dobbs wrote:

Mac, have you used any of Richard Cornforths material? I know Chuck Conces was real good friends with him and I guess Richard was showing him how to handle things in court etc, correct me if I am wrong about this.

I recently watched Richards youtube video about Trinsey vs Pagliaro and i really like it. how about Robert Fox ,do you know of anyone who has used his material? Thank You for your time , i sure hope things get better for you at the Va.
Then, a comment from "Robert Parke" (bolding added):

To: Natlawmandisc [ . . . ]

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:01 PM

Subject: Re: [Natlawmandisc] Re: [Tax-Freedom-Unity] IRS Response Letters

Honestly, who knows anything? One guy states he has the answers, another calls him a kook or an idiot and says he has the real answers. Someone follows this person's advice and loses in court and is called a moron for "doing" it wrong or using the wrong information. Other than the inner city poor, I have never seen a group of people eat their own like the tax movement.

When I moderated the original Tax-Freedom-Now over 11 years ago I said we need to get the real legal experts working together to solve these complicated issues. We need Conces, Schiff, Skinner, and all the others to set aside their ridiculous disagreements and egos and hash things out....
Uh, well, Conces and Skinner are dead, and Schiff will be in prison for a long time (sigh....). "Natlawmandisc" continues:
[ . . .]The point is that we destroy each other over the meaning of the nonsensical IRC's various sections when, in reality, none of us has the answers. Many say that you need to spend months or years studying the law and relevant code sections and court cases but that is impossible for most of us. It is like saying you must become a doctor so you can cure yourself. No, the answer lies in working together in an organized fashion and getting people into public office who will abolish the IRS and all direct taxation upon citizens.

This may all be a moot point now as our country is headed into a financial ruin that will make the great depression look like a pleasant vacation. Anyway, I am fed up with the know-it-alls who can always tell us why someone lost but can never help anyone win.

And "macwildstar" chimes in again:

To: Natlawmandisc [ . . . ]

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:06 PM

I like the answer the student loan people are giving.. "just stop paying your loans".. let the bubble burst".. due to the high default rate.

The fact is Robert, we know the law is IMPOSSIBLE to understand, because it changes constantly, and due to the fact that we must look to the courts for the meaning of specific words. That alone should make the law void for vagueness under the legal therory [sic] that law must be clear and exact to be valid. Yet no one has challenged this in court.

Why?

Because most of us who are fighting, have already had most of our resorces [sic] taken away from us and we don't have the ability to fight back. your idea of a collective pool of funding is a great idea.. Set it up as a trust, with real trustees and it might work. Other wise I do not think people would donate..

And I haven't hear much about the project Tom Cryer was working on.. any one know about that?

In reality, I haven't heard much new news about Joe Bannister either..
:(

Reply from "Natlawmandisc":
On Behalf Of Roy Dobbs

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:22 AM

[ . . ]

Tom Cryer may know what he's doing but I haven't seen any results of his work. Last year or so he was looking for candidates for going after employers but I didn't qualify. I'm not saying he isn't working on something that will work but when that will happen i don't know, all I know is he gets people riled up to go and hand out flyers at the post office on April 15th but he doesn't offer any solutions when they get in trouble and get levied on etc. I don't know why he won't do a pro bono case to prove that he can handle a case and free someone from the IRS......
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

robertparke wrote:When I moderated the original Tax-Freedom-Now over 11 years ago I said we need to get the real legal experts working together to solve these complicated issues. We need Conces, Schiff, Skinner, and all the others to set aside their ridiculous disagreements and egos and hash things out....
Experts???? Yeah right!!! Every one of them lost repeatedly in court, all of their followers have lost repeatedly in court, and they all went to jail when their "expert knowledge" blew up in their faces. Did the went to jail part not twig you to the it doesn't work factor?
robertparke wrote:...when, in reality, none of us has the answers...
Well, almost got it, then back off in the weeds again.
robertparke wrote:...getting people into public office who will abolish the IRS and all direct taxation upon citizens
At least a glimmer of reality. Right idea for once, ain't never gonna happen.

And then right back in to fantasy land.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Famspear wrote:
I don't know why he [Cryer] won't do a pro bono case to prove that he can handle a case and free someone from the IRS......
I know why.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

You mean like maybe he's only in it for the money, or that if he can't get himself out of the trouble he's already in and how's he going to get someone else out, sort of thing? I mean he did such a good job for good old Lindsey after all.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.