Larken Rose in Trouble Again

aitchel
Swabby
Swabby

Re: Larken Rose in Trouble Again

Post by aitchel »

I am sure that many employers have wrestled with the employee/independent contractor question. But most of these would be settled after they file their tax paperwork the first time. The Tax Man may disagree with the employer's position, but he probably won't suspect criminal activity if the employer files honestly. The employer's liability would be limited to the first year. Not filing either 1099s or withholding employee taxes makes you a little more suspicious. Not filing for many years makes a criminal.
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

Partly true, but not filing 1099s is not by itself suspicious. Some business don't have independent contractors - granted most do and simply do not file them by honest ignorance of the filing requirement. Where many businesses get caught is when an 'independent contractor' gets terminated and subsequently files for unemployment compensation.
jkeeb
Pirate Judge of Which Things Work

Post by jkeeb »

Most businesses get caught when the "contractor" files their return and either the SE tax is included and the contractor doesn't feel as though they should be responsible for it, or they don't include the SE tax and IRS underreporter catches it.
Remember that CtC is about the rule of law.

John J. Bulten
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

So what do you think will happen to Larken this time?
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:one forum comment has Rose twisting the code section to say "to" rather than "on", his argument being that since the transcribers return the materials unaltered, they are not statutory employees.
What forum? Where?

I'd like to see what he has to say, and I haven't been able to find the comment through Google.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

LPC wrote:
The Observer wrote:one forum comment has Rose twisting the code section to say "to" rather than "on", his argument being that since the transcribers return the materials unaltered, they are not statutory employees.
What forum? Where?

I'd like to see what he has to say, and I haven't been able to find the comment through Google.
Never mind. I found the comments to the YouTube video.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

One other thing: I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but I am curious about whether the "independent contractors" were always treated as such by the Roses. I seem to remember that the transcription business had been started by Larken's wife (Tess?) prior to her marriage to him; if that is the case, it would be interesting if she had treated them as employees before Larken started sticking his nose into her business.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff