Sec. 911 Exclusion For Antarctica?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Anti-861

Sec. 911 Exclusion For Antarctica?

Post by Anti-861 »

I was scanning the headlines of Tax Notes and noticed the same trend yesterday. Have you guys seen these cases, like this one: 2007 TNT 140-17 WAGES EARNED IN ANTARCTICA NOT EXCLUDABLE FROM INCOME. (Jennifer C. Shaw v. Commissioner) (T.C. Memo. 2007-195)?

Is there somebody out there shilling this?
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Yes, I have seen a ton of these cases being reported on over the last couple of weeks. This isn't the first time this has been litigated, however. In fact, I posted a couple of similar cases a year or so ago and with tongue planted firmly in cheek, floated the theory that this could be the new "861" for tax protestors.

I suspect that this issue may have been seized on by either a tax lawyer looking for business or fame in finding a loophole or a group of employees doing business in the Antarctic that banded together hoping to exempt their wages.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:Yes, I have seen a ton of these cases being reported on over the last couple of weeks.
I first saw this issue over a year ago, and was intrigued by the idea that Antarctica is not a foreign country within the meaning of of section 911, but it makes sense when you consider that there is no government of Antarctica and so no danger of double taxation (which is what 911 is designed to prevent).

But there have been 11 more decisions on this issue this month. Given the small numbers of Americans working in Antarctica, and the rather well-settled nature of the law, those Americans are looking rather lemming-like.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

The attorney for the plaintiffs (Larry D. Harvey) http://www.thearapahoproject.net/the_ar ... ct_023.htm lost the precedential case on this issue both in Tax Court Arnett v. Commissioner 8866-03
This is the lead case in an unconsolidated group of approximately 150 cases of similarly situated taxpayers who earned wage income in Antarctica and who make similar arguments.
and on appeal Arnett v. Comm’r, No. 06-1934 (7th Cir. 2007)

A contemporary report which appeared in Milwaukee's Journal Sentinel included the following
In the meantime, Arnett said he has no intention of paying the money "until they ask for it. Maybe I'll just make them come and get it."
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

In the meantime, Arnett said he has no intention of paying the money "until they ask for it. Maybe I'll just make them come and get it."
Seems he has been sipping from Ed Brown's kool-ade glass.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

LPC wrote:But there have been 11 more decisions on this issue this month. Given the small numbers of Americans working in Antarctica, and the rather well-settled nature of the law, those Americans are looking rather lemming-like.
There were three more yesterday, bringing the total so far this year to 25.

As near as I can tell, all of the taxpayers are represented by someone named Larry D. Harvey, who seems to be a slow learner.

Any chance of sanctions in his future?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

LPC wrote:As near as I can tell, all of the taxpayers are represented by someone named Larry D. Harvey, who seems to be a slow learner.
A Colorado lawyer who has had both success (e.g., 03-cv-00972, CO) and failure (e.g., 03-cv-01562, OR) against the IRS.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

total so far this year to 25
When he runs out of people there's always the penguins. They're not much for payment but at least they don't whine when you lose repeatedly.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Antarctican research stations also employ private contractors to do the general tasks such as cooking and maintenance, so there are private sector jobs there.

Interesting case... but I don't expect the normal TP to move there.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Any chance of sanctions in his future?
If I were the judge (fat chance!), I wouldn't sanction him. The argument is not frivolous on its face, and he has a right to take it up on appeal (which requires litigating each client's case in the Tax Court, even in the face of the Tax Court's precedential ruling against him).[/code]
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)