Man Charged on "Original Issue Discount" Scam

Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Man Charged on "Original Issue Discount" Scam

Post by Number Six »

http://www.justice.gov/usao/ct/Press201 ... 927-2.html

"The indictment alleges that GREEN falsely claimed to have received $920,063 in taxable interest income, and to have $929,702 of federal income tax withholdings for the 2008 tax year. Based on this false information, GREEN claimed a refund from the IRS in the amount of $616,434. In March 2009, the IRS wired $616,434 to three bank accounts designated by GREEN. When the IRS tried to collect the erroneously issued refund, GREEN undertook a course of conduct to inhibit the IRS’s efforts to recover the money, including sending frivolous correspondence to the IRS, hiding real property in the name of a nominee entity to impede the IRS’s collection efforts, and falsely complaining that the IRS had commenced unauthorized collection and enforcement actions against him."
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Re: Man Charged on "Original Issue Discount" Scam

Post by Kestrel »

The only surprise here is that the IRS computer didn't raise a bullshit flag before issuing the refund in the first place.

I do hope they've added a line of programming since then to set such returns aside for additional review.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

I always enjoyed stumping the OID gurus with the Instructions. There are five or six applications for the form and I would post them inquiring which one the OID application fell in?
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Kestrel wrote:The only surprise here is that the IRS computer didn't raise a bullshit flag before issuing the refund in the first place.
No, more like the only surprise here is that they caught it at all. I think the IRS is still using a room full of abaci for their server. I hear the noise is deafening. Or I would hear it, had the noise not deafened me.
I do hope they've added a line of programming since then to set such returns aside for additional review.
More like another 18-footer. And a trained monkey.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

webhick wrote:
Kestrel wrote:The only surprise here is that the IRS computer didn't raise a bullshit flag before issuing the refund in the first place.
No, more like the only surprise here is that they caught it at all. I think the IRS is still using a room full of abaci for their server. I hear the noise is deafening. Or I would hear it, had the noise not deafened me.
I thought that they'd upgraded to a Babbage Engine.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

webhick wrote:More like another 18-footer. And a trained monkey.
Or maybe a better trained one????
Trained monkeys are expensive you know, so its better to hire them untrained and let them work their way up to IT management.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

The problem with using monkeys is they're always writing Shakespeare when they're supposed to be working
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

The OID position is always a stupid one, OID Is simply imputed income created by a debt obligation issued at a discount on the face value, nothing more. No hidden account, and not somehting an individual should ever complete. These are issued by Banks, Brokers, and Custodians, to allow the taxpayer to know how much OID Interest to report on their tax return, as OID is not payable in cash. To say the 1099OID has other uses is crazy. I just can't believe th magnitude of this one... Blows the mind.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.