Article re Tax Effects of Catching Bonds's 756th HR Ball

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Article re Tax Effects of Catching Bonds's 756th HR Ball

Post by Cpt Banjo »

There's an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal on the tax effects to whoever catches Bonds's 756th HR ball. Be sure and click the "Discuss in Law Blog" link at the bottom for more discussion.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1185321 ... email.html

Having said that, I wish the SOB (not the fan; you know who) would break his leg so that Aaron's untainted record would stand, even if just for a while before someone like ARod breaks it.
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Re: Article re Tax Effects of Catching Bonds's 756th HR Ball

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Cpt Banjo wrote:There's an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal on the tax effects to whoever catches Bonds's 756th HR ball. Be sure and click the "Discuss in Law Blog" link at the bottom for more discussion.

Having said that, I wish the SOB (not the fan; you know who) would break his leg so that Aaron's untainted record would stand, even if just for a while before someone like ARod breaks it.
Very interesting case. Similar thing happened to me, (item worth hundreds of thousands with essentially no way of calculating a base value to assess the gain) the IRS was stumped and basically told me to "punt".

Luckily I have not needed to build a compound in the woods and declair it "God's Land."
silversopp

Post by silversopp »

I suppose that everyone who owns a barry bonds rookie card should be taxed as well as soon as he hits that homer.
Duke2Earl
Eighth Operator of the Delusional Mooloo

Post by Duke2Earl »

silversopp wrote:I suppose that everyone who owns a barry bonds rookie card should be taxed as well as soon as he hits that homer.
No, if you already owned the card, an increase in value would not be currently taxable because there was no realization event. It's completely different if you suddenly become the owner of something you never owned before. Then, generally, under the treasure trove rules you are taxed on the FMV of what becomes your property. The transfer of ownership to you is the realization event.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And Duke just opened the door for another courtesy rant from Stevesy.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Re: Article re Tax Effects of Catching Bonds's 756th HR Ball

Post by grixit »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:
Cpt Banjo wrote:There's an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal on the tax effects to whoever catches Bonds's 756th HR ball. Be sure and click the "Discuss in Law Blog" link at the bottom for more discussion.

Very interesting case. Similar thing happened to me, (item worth hundreds of thousands with essentially no way of calculating a base value to assess the gain) the IRS was stumped and basically told me to "punt".

Luckily I have not needed to build a compound in the woods and declair it "God's Land."
It seems to me that if i were to catch a recod breaking baseball, i would tell the IRS that it was a capital gain over the price of a ticket, which i was planning to roll over into some other investment.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Couldn't you argue that when the ball cleared the fence that was a realization event? Or would that complicate things?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:Couldn't you argue that when the ball cleared the fence that was a realization event? Or would that complicate things?
Well, one could certainly point out that, if in fact just catching Bonds' record-breaking HR is a taxable event, it puts the lie again to the tired TP argument that tax laws aren't clear.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

CaptainKickback wrote:But, existentially, the ball does not exist, the world is illustion and nothing is real, therefore the ball does not exist and no taxes would be owed. OMMMM.......... <lights>
I guess under that theory the person who caught the ball would be in the clear.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown