O.I.D. Process

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

O.I.D. Process

Post by LPC »

How stupid is this: Two guys set up a business to file fraudulent refund claims using fake Forms 1099-OID, and they call their business "O.I.D. Process."

The DOJ Press Release:
OPERATORS OF O.I.D. PROCESS ARRESTED FOR ASSISTING CLIENTS
WITH FILING FRAUDULENT REFUNDS TOTALING APPROXIMATELY $228 MILLION

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2012

SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal judge unsealed an indictment charging the operators of a business named O.I.D. Process with one count of Conspiracy to file false claims against the United States, announced U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag, Assistant Attorney General of the Justice Department's Tax Division Kathryn Keneally and Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) Special Agent in Charge Marcus Williams. A federal grand jury returned the indictment on Aug. 28, 2012.

According to the indictment, Duffy R. Dashner aka Kevin Dashner of Beloit, Wisc., and Mark R. Maness of Semmes, Ala., conspired to aid and assist in the preparation and presentation of U.S. Individual Income Tax Returns claiming fraudulent Original Issue Discount interest income and federal tax withholdings, resulting in claims for fraudulent federal income tax refunds.

Dashner and Maness operated the business O.I.D. Process
and charged clients a non-refundable registration fee to join the organization and a 20 percent "refund acquisition fee" for any refund check issued by the IRS. Dashner and Maness operated a website and conducted weekly conference calls with clients to offer advice and guidance on how to complete OID returns.

The indictment further alleges that Dashner and Maness required their clients to change their mailing addresses with the IRS to the address of an attorney in San Francisco that they could ensure receipt of their 20 percent refund acquisition fee. O.I.D. Process clients filed approximately 200 returns requesting fraudulent refunds totaling approximately $228 million.

Dashner was also charged in the indictment with two counts of aiding and assisting in the preparation of false and fraudulent U.S. Individual Income Tax Returns that were presented to the IRS.

On Sept. 24, 2012, after being arrested, Dashner appeared before a U.S. Magistrate Judge in Los Angeles and was ordered detained. Following an identity hearing on Sept. 27, 2012, Dashner was ordered to appear in federal court in San Francisco at a date and time to be determined. On Oct. 5, 2012, Maness appeared before a U.S. Magistrate Judge in Greenville, S.C. Maness was also ordered detained and removed to the Northern District of California, and to appear in federal court in San Francisco at a date and time to be determined.

The maximum statutory penalty for conspiracy to submit false claims, in violation of Title 18 is 10 years in prison and a $ 250,000 fine. The maximum statutory penalty for aiding and assisting in the presentation of a false income tax return is three years in prison and a $250,000 fine. However, any sentence following conviction would be imposed by the court after consideration of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the federal statute governing the imposition of a sentence.

U.S. Justice Department Tax Division Trial Attorney Matthew J. Kluge and Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael G. Pitman are prosecuting this case. The prosecution is the result of an investigation by IRS-CI.

Please note, an indictment contains only allegations against an individual and, as with all defendants, must be presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Re: O.I.D. Process

Post by LPC »

Dashner and Maness operated a website
Can't find it, although a search for "O.I.D. Process" turns up a lot of crazy crap about "redemption" and "acceptance for value." (One example here.)
The indictment further alleges that Dashner and Maness required their clients to change their mailing addresses with the IRS to the address of an attorney in San Francisco that they could ensure receipt of their 20 percent refund acquisition fee.
Since the lawyer is not named, he (or she) could be cooperating, but knowingly participating in this kind of fraud should cost the lawyer his license even if he stays out of jail.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I had the same thought/question about how any attorney not totally brain dead could allow his name to be used in any context with a fraud like this, still curious about what exactly was going on there, and I will still bet the attorney in question has a whole lot of 'splainin' to do before it is all said and done.

The other thing, just as a question, why only one count of "Conspiracy to file false claims" when they supposedly had 200 customers they were doing it for. I would have thought there would have been one count for each customer.

Any way you look at it, not the brightest sounding bunch of fraudsters.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

These losers don't even know what the OID "process" is all about - even if explained to them, they wouldn't understand it. Such idiocy never ceases to amaze me.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Think about how totally ludicrous and ridiculous this scheme is for a moment.

About 200 returns, refunds of about 228 million. That's about 1.14 million on the average fraudulent return. Those refunds had to be primarily based on fake OID withholding.

Most people with a reportable OID amount have zero withholding due to the OID amount, after all, OID is accrued, but unpaid interest. No cash has changed hands.

Mostly zero coupon stuff but also including usually very minor amounts on any bond that originally sold at a higher effective interest rate than anticipated -- and therefore at some discount to par. You know, 8.07% instead of 8.00% and therefore priced at 99.5, instead of 100 (figures approximate.) The .5 discount to par amortized as OID over the life of the bond. That's peanuts. I'm ignoring CDs and CDOs and the other obscure stuff, this isn't a treatise on OID. Where I say "bonds" read "bond(s) and/or other debt instrument(s) issued at a discount subject to OID reporting."

How do you get a 1.1 million refund?

Concoct a 1099-OID that reports $10 of OID and 1.1 million of withholding, all of which would be refunded.

Concoct a 1099-OID that reports 1.7 million of OID and 1.7 million of withholding, .6 million to pay the tax due on the OID income, 1.1 million to be refunded.

Or, something in between.

Any way you slice it, 100% of the withholding reported on the concocted 1099-OIDs is completely made-up.

Fake. Fraudulent. These clowns own no bonds subject to OID reporting, just like most, if not all of them own not even a paltry pot to piss in.

If a large-OID-amount route was used, for example, it would take 30 million of newly issued 10 year 5% zero coupon bonds to generate 1.0 million of implied OID interest.

Joe Schmuck suddenly owns 30 mill in zero coupon bonds? Sure he does, and I'm the Queen of England. Never mind that the withholding is still zero. And if J. Schmuck does own them, he'll be soon writing a check for the income tax due on the OID amounts.

These idiots actually thought that they could get away with just making up absolutely MASSIVE amounts of withholding that never happened, and would never, ever happen in any normal OID situation.

Yeah, that'll work. For about 5 minutes.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

As you can imagine for about a year some of the 1099-OID gurus were looking to enlist me. I would ask them to explain which application they were using, from the Instructions:
Specific Instructions for Form 1099-OID

• File Form 1099-OID, Original Issue Discount, if the original issue discount (OID) includible in gross income is at least $10 and you are any of the following:

• An issuer with any bond outstanding or other evidence of indebtedness in registered or bearer form issued with OID;

• An issuer of a certificate of deposit (CD) made, purchased, or renewed after 1970 if the CD has OID and a term of more than 1 year (see Caution on page 4);

• A financial institution having other deposit arrangements, such as time deposits or bonus-savings plans, if the arrangements have OID and a term of more than 1 year;

• A broker or other middleman holding an OID obligation, including CDs, as nominee for the actual owner;

• A trustee or middleman of a WHFIT or widely held mortgage trust (WHMT); or,

• A real estate mortgage investment conduit (REMIC), a holder of an ownership interest in a financial asset securitization investment trust (FASIT), or an issuer of a collateralized debt obligation (CDO).

Also, file Form 1099-OID for any person for whom you withheld and paid any foreign tax on OID or from whom you withheld (and did not refund) any federal income tax under the backup withholding rules even if the amount of the OID is less than $10.
Somehow they could never explain it to me. Instead it resulted in my never hearing from that particular guru again.

Regards,

David Merrill.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

David Merrill wrote:As you can imagine for about a year some of the 1099-OID gurus were looking to enlist me. I would ask them to explain which application they were using, from the Instructions:
Somehow they could never explain it to me. Instead it resulted in my never hearing from that particular guru again.
Irony meters are breaking all over the world.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

The Observer wrote:
David Merrill wrote:As you can imagine for about a year some of the 1099-OID gurus were looking to enlist me. I would ask them to explain which application they were using, from the Instructions:
Irony meters are breaking all over the world.

I have never promoted OID process.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Aonther "wooosh!" moment brought to you by David Merrill.

Hint, David. My comment did not say nor imply that you supported the OID movement. It is a far deeper and more subtle comment.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
David Merrill

Post by David Merrill »

The Observer wrote:Aonther "wooosh!" moment brought to you by David Merrill.

Hint, David. My comment did not say nor imply that you supported the OID movement. It is a far deeper and more subtle comment.

You are kind of a dope like that.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

David Merrill wrote:You are kind of a dope like that.
And yet you are the one who is not grasping the thrust of my original comment. Time to take the 2x4 out of your eye, David, before you comment on the toothpick in mine.

Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

The Observer wrote:Aonther "wooosh!" moment brought to you by David Merrill.

That earlier comment was "deep" and "subtle"?
"My Health is Better in November."
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Prof wrote:That earlier comment was "deep" and "subtle"?
Apparently, for David, it was.