Kansas TP Greg Pflum pleads guilty

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Kansas TP Greg Pflum pleads guilty

Post by Demosthenes »

St. Marys Man Pleads Guilty to Dodging Taxes
Posted: 7:18 PM Jul 24, 2007
Last Updated: 7:18 PM Jul 24, 2007

WICHITA, KAN. – Gregory E. Pflum, 38, St. Marys, Kan., pleaded guilty Tuesday to one count of attempting to evade income taxes by failing to file a tax return.

"Mr. Pflum maintained that income tax laws did not apply to him," said U.S. Attorney Eric Melgren. "Despite repeated warnings, he stopped filing tax returns and followed his father’s example by transferring his assets into trusts for the purpose of evading taxes."

Pflum’s father, David G. Pflum, was found guilty of tax evasion in 2004 and sentenced to 30 months in federal prison.

Gregory Pflum was indicted in October 2006. He entered a guilty plea Tuesday during a hearing before U.S. District Judge Sam A. Crow. In his plea, Pflum admitted that he stopped submitting annual tax returns and paying income tax after going to work for Coil Spring Specialties in St. Marys, Kan., where he worked from 1990 to 2003.

When representatives of the Internal Revenue Service contacted him, he responded by giving them materials supplied by lawyers and tax advisers who were part of a tax protester movement and were referred to him by his father. He challenged the tax system and told IRS representatives that he did not intend to pay income taxes.

Pflum is set for sentencing Oct. 24, 2007. He faces a maximum penalty of 5 years in federal prison and a fine up to $100,000.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

How Kotmairian.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

So why did this man think he could succeed where his father failed? He had two years between his father's conviction and his own indictment to get things cleaned up and obviously failed to do so. The kool-ade is just so addicting.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

The Observer wrote:So why did this man think he could succeed where his father failed? He had two years between his father's conviction and his own indictment to get things cleaned up and obviously failed to do so.

It probably had more to do with not wanting to disapoint dad than thinking he could get away with anything. It was probabaly dad that eventually told him to throw in the towel.

And with pleading to only one count, he probably won't see any bars....at least I didn't. :wink:
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

tommygun wrote:It probably had more to do with not wanting to disapoint dad than thinking he could get away with anything.
I see...he was influenced by the old "someday-son-all-this-will-be-yours..." speech.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

The Observer wrote:
tommygun wrote:It probably had more to do with not wanting to disapoint dad than thinking he could get away with anything.
I see...he was influenced by the old "someday-son-all-this-will-be-yours..." speech.

I don't know, the father/son dynamic is very complex.

I do know that for some people, the father figure can be very influencing and I don't know if he was ever truly convinced of his father's ideas.

I think he went along to avoid being branded as "just another sheeple" by him.