Declaration of Independence Irrelevant?

LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Declaration of Independence Irrelevant?

Post by LPC »

And the Magna Carta is also irrelevant?

Say it ain't so.

Robert L. Bernard et ux. v. Commissioner, No. 12-60932 (5th Cir. 8/23/2013)
ROBERT L. BERNARD; DIOLINDA B. ABILHEIRA,
Petitioners-Appellants
v.
COMMISSIONER OF INTERNAL REVENUE,
Respondent-Appellee

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS
FOR THE FIFTH CIRCUIT

FILED
August 23, 2013

No. 12-60932

Summary Calendar

Lyle W. Cayce
Clerk

Appeal from a Decision
of the United States Tax Court
(5787-10)

Before HIGGINBOTHAM, DENNIS, and GRAVES, Circuit Judges.

PER CURIAM:*

In this pro se appeal from the United States Tax Court, Robert L. Bernard and his wife Diolinda B. Abilheira challenge the Tax Court's order finding a deficiency in their 2007 income tax of $36,950 and an accuracy-related penalty of $6,640 under § 6662(a) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Bernard and Abhileira's appellate submissions fail to properly brief arguments with relevant case citations or provide a record from which to review the merit of his arguments. We have previously held that "riefs by pro se litigants are afforded liberal construction." Johnson v. Quarterman, 479 F.3d 358, 359 (5th Cir. 2007) (citing Haines v. Kerner, 404 U.S. 519, 520 (1972)). However, we have also held that even pro se litigants must brief arguments in order to preserve them on appeal. Yohey v. Collins, 985 F.2d 222, 224-25 (5th Cir. 1993).

The Supreme Court's rationale for allowing liberal construction in Haines was to hold briefs by pro se litigants to "less stringent standards than formal pleadings drafted by lawyers." 404 U.S. at 520. This rationale is inapplicable given that Bernard, who authored the appellate submissions, is a former Assistant United States Attorney and has therefore been trained as a lawyer. Even with the benefit of liberal construction, Bernard and Abilheira have failed to brief any argument challenging the basis of the Tax Court's order. Accordingly, Bernard and Abilheira have waived any such challenge on appeal. See Yohey, 985 F.2d at 224-25; Brinkmann v. Dallas County Deputy Sheriff Abner, 813 F.2d 744, 748 (5th Cir. 1987). Furthermore, Bernard and Abhilheira have not provided any grounds on which we may conclude that the Tax Court's order was erroneous. Rather, Bernard and Abilheira's stated arguments, citing, inter alia, the Magna Carta and the Declaration of Independence, are irrelevant to the result that the Tax Court reached. Consequently, their appeal is DISMISSED AS FRIVOLOUS. See 5TH CIR. R. 42.2.

FOOTNOTE

* Pursuant to 5TH CIR. R. 47.5, the court has determined that this opinion should not be published and is not precedent except under the limited circumstances set forth in 5TH CIR. R. 47.5.4.

END OF FOOTNOTE
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Declaration of Independence Irrelevant?

Post by notorial dissent »

I'd be interested in knowing how they tried to drag "the Magna Carta and the Declaration of Independence" in to the tax case in the first place, since I would think it would be a stretch even if they actually came up with some cites and backing.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

If these people had only done their research, they would have realized that the Magna Carta had been repudiated by King John and Innocent III, the Pope at the time. Can't be dragging voided documents into court and expect the judge to fall for it.

Now if they had cited the Chester Magna Carta signed by Ranulf, Earl of Chester, they might have had a chance...
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

If memory serves, the Declaration of Independence is a document of inspiration that has no statutorial bearing other than that of Congress formally telling the King to buzz off.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Not to mention, that most if not all of the provisions of Magna Carta ceased to operate well before we gained independence if a piece on British law I read was correct.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:If memory serves, the Declaration of Independence is a document of inspiration that has no statutorial bearing other than that of Congress formally telling the King to buzz off.
Wait a minute, you mean that the Declaration of Independence doesn't outlaw the U.S. federal income tax?

Dang!

Digression: Earlier this summer, I had a U.S. Postal Service worker inform me that the government could not cut back the delivery of the mail from six days a week to five days a week because delivery six days a week was guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

Ok, you got me on that one. If there is any possible link between Saturday mail delivery and unreasonable searches it eludes me.

As a separate issue it amazes me that the US still has six day delivery given the great reduction in mail in the past twenty years. We have five in Canada and could probably make do nicely with three.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Observer wrote:If these people had only done their research, they would have realized that the Magna Carta had been repudiated by King John and Innocent III, the Pope at the time. Can't be dragging voided documents into court and expect the judge to fall for it.
Not only that, only clauses 39 and 40, out of the 63 in the Magna Carta, have any arguable force today. Most of the document concerns long-dead feudal rights; and many of the rights mentioned in the US Constitution (including the Bill of Rights) are either not mentioned, or explicitly denied. See Bob Blacks's "White Man's Ghost Dance" for a much better analysis of this and other related points.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Famspear wrote:...
Digression: Earlier this summer, I had a U.S. Postal Service worker inform me that the government could not cut back the delivery of the mail from six days a week to five days a week because delivery six days a week was guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
I feel confident that said worker meant (and may have actually been told) Fourth Dimension of. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote:Ok, you got me on that one. If there is any possible link between Saturday mail delivery and unreasonable searches it eludes me.
I think I got it. If the government stopped delivery after Friday, and it still had undelivered mail in its possession by Saturday, then it would mean that the ebil gubmint had SEIZED my mail without due process or my permission.

Of course it doesn't explain why the government is not guilty of being in possession of my mail on a Sunday...

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Famspear wrote:...
I feel confident that said worker meant (and may have actually been told) Fourth Dimension of. :wink:
Remember back in the late 1960s, when some people were putting drops of lysergic acid diethylamide on postage stamps, and then licking the stamps?

Maybe that's what we have here......

:)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LPC

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:
Burnaby49 wrote:Ok, you got me on that one. If there is any possible link between Saturday mail delivery and unreasonable searches it eludes me.
I think I got it. If the government stopped delivery after Friday, and it still had undelivered mail in its possession by Saturday, then it would mean that the ebil gubmint had SEIZED my mail without due process or my permission.

Of course it doesn't explain why the government is not guilty of being in possession of my mail on a Sunday...
Mail delivery on Sunday would be a violation of the 4th Commandment, and the Bible trumps the Constitution. (At least in this instance.)

But then for Jews (and Seventh Day Adventists), mail delivery on Friday is a violation of the 4th Commandment and failing to deliver mail on Sunday is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

So there's just no pleasing everyone.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

The Tax Court opinion under appeal was published as Tax Court Memorandum 2012-221, and it's a fairly straight-forward description of what looks like just a regular screw-up by the taxpayers, who failed to report IRA distributions as ordinary income.

It gets weird in the post-opinion proceedings (mainly the Rule 155 determination, but also motions for reconsideration), which resulted in a decision and order dated 10/5/2012 that included the following:
Tax Court wrote:Petitioners' amended motion for reconsideration repeats the nonsensical and scurrilous contentions in the previously denied motion for reconsideration. For example, petitioners complain that the Court directed, for an improper purpose, respondent to respond to a motion previously filed by petitioners seeking to reopen the record after the briefs were filed. If respondent had not objected, the documents proferred by petitioners would have been received. However, respondent presented meritorious objections based on untimeliness and also demonstrated that the documents, even if in the record, would not aid petitioners. Petitioners have continuously made nonmeritorious accusations against respondent and the Court. See Order dated April 26, 2012.

Petitioners' current motions are not worthy of response, and that obligation will not be imposed on respondent. In addition to containing frivolous and groundless arguments, petitioners' motions suggest that this proceeding has been maintained primarily for delay. Petitioners are hereby advised that any further motions in this case or in any other proceeding pursued in this Court may invite a penalty not to exceed $25,000 under Internal Revenue Code section 6673.
Dan Evans
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

LPC wrote:But then for Jews (and Seventh Day Adventists), mail delivery on Friday is a violation of the 4th Commandment...
But only after sundown on Friday, and I'm not sure that I have ever seen mail delivered to my house after sundown on any day.

Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

According to the Tax Court's opinion, Robert Bernard was an assistant U.S. attorney who took early retirement in 2000 due to "cardiac disorders, depression, and memory loss". He prepared the return for 2007 and took the position that his or his wife's IRA distributions were capital gains or return of capital. No one but a lawyer or an accountant would know enough tax law to make that mistake. I think he saw a brilliant way to decrease his tax and was too mentally confused to spot the errors.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
LPC

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:
LPC wrote:But then for Jews (and Seventh Day Adventists), mail delivery on Friday is a violation of the 4th Commandment...
But only after sundown on Friday,
I meant Saturday.
Dan Evans
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

LPC wrote:Mail delivery on Sunday would be a violation of the 4th Commandment, and the Bible trumps the Constitution. (At least in this instance.)

But then for Jews (and Seventh Day Adventists), mail delivery on Friday is a violation of the 4th Commandment and failing to deliver mail on Sunday is a violation of the 4th Amendment.

So there's just no pleasing everyone.
I thought the Muslims had Friday, owing to the Jews and the Adventists taking Saturday.

So if we are going to be respectful towards all and discriminitory towards none, mail should only be delivered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and on those Mondays which don't coincide with federal holidays.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
LPC

Post by LPC »

Kestrel wrote:I thought the Muslims had Friday, owing to the Jews and the Adventists taking Saturday.

So if we are going to be respectful towards all and discriminitory towards none, mail should only be delivered on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and on those Mondays which don't coincide with federal holidays.
Works for me.
Dan Evans
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Moslems have all day friday, most jews have all of saturday, but the orthodox have sundown friday to sundown saturday. Bahais (they can put the pesky apostrophes in themselves) have wednesday, supposedly deliberately chosen because it wouldn't conflict with anyone else. Asatruists might disagree, however.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

As for the Magna Carta, if you look closely at the signature line, right under "John-Boy: Plantagenet (c)", it says in tiny letters: "under duress and coercion, UCC-1, accepted for value".
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4