Jimmie and Genevieve Walden documents called nonsensical

rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Jimmie and Genevieve Walden documents called nonsensical

Post by rogfulton »

This is a bit late in reporting. This is from behind the paywall at the Austin American-Statesman and was originally reported July 25.

The couple was sentenced to two years in prison, one year of home confinement, three years of community supervision and to pay more than $690,000 in restitution to the IRS. Apparently they had a podcast where they instructed others how to deceive the IRS.
Statesman wrote:The Waldens, self-employed loan processors from Driftwood, represented themselves during their sentencing and responded to the judge in lengthy, exaggerated legal jargon. The couple had also filed several motions, saying they accepted the verdict and sentencing only conditionally and asking the judge to discharge them of all liability.

Yeakel called the documents nonsensical and said he did not believe they had any respect for the law. He said their punishment was meant to deter others from following in their steps.
Sounds strangely familiar.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Re: Jimmie and Genevieve Walden documents called nonsensical

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.newsradioklbj.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1764967
8/29/2012

A Driftwood couple is facing tax evasion and other charges for allegedly hiding more than one and a half million dollars in income. IRS Special Agent Mike Lemoine says Jimmie and Genevieve Walden reported their annual income one year as being just 15 dollars, but she actually made nearly one point six million dollars in a three year period. Lemoine says Jimmie Walden is being detained for claiming not to be a U.S. Citizen but a Citizen of Texas State.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Examples-of-Nonf ... -Year-2013
Texas Couple Sentenced for Failure to File Income Taxes
On July 25, 2013, in Austin, Texas, Jimmie Walden and his wife, Genevieve Walden, both of Driftwood, Texas, were each sentenced to 24 months in prison, three years of supervised release and ordered to pay $692,141 in restitution to the IRS. The Waldens were convicted by a jury on May 15, 2013, of subscribing to false tax returns for the tax years 2001 through 2004 and conspiracy to defraud the United States. According to court documents, the Waldens prepared and filed more than 40 false and frivolous income tax returns to the IRS. In addition, they repeatedly used frivolous and harassing correspondence in an attempt to obstruct the IRS. The Waldens were self-employed mortgage brokers and loan processers doing business with RTM Funding, a mortgage lending institution. Court documents showed that the Waldens received Forms 1099-MISC for commissions from RTM for tax years 2001 through 2004, which totaled approximately $1,589,853. However, the Waldens failed to report their income accurately. In fact, they failed to file a truthful income tax return since 1999. In addition, the Waldens used nominee bank accounts to conceal income earned through commissions with RTM. The Waldens also used MYICIS, an Internet money transfer services, knowing that MYICIS did not report income to the government and did not use social security numbers to identify account holders. On or about April 30, 2008, Jimmie Walden sent the IRS a letter identifying himself as “a citizen of Texas state” and enclosed a Form W-8BEN in which he claimed to be a “transient foreigner”.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Examples of Non-filer Investigations - Fiscal Years 2012, 2013, 2014
Wow. This IRS page really blows away the claim my favorite de-taxer makes so often: "No one ever went to jail for failing to file personal income tax returns."

Next time I hear that from him I'll be able to read him a whole list.

I only wish I knew about this page several years ago.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Not to mention:
the Waldens received Forms 1099-MISC for commissions from RTM for tax years 2001 through 2004, which totaled approximately $1,589,853.
Considering that the IRS matches (and has for decades) every single one of those 1099s to the return it should be on, what could possibly go wrong?
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
4account

Post by 4account »

. wrote:Not to mention:
the Waldens received Forms 1099-MISC for commissions from RTM for tax years 2001 through 2004, which totaled approximately $1,589,853.
Considering that the IRS matches (and has for decades) every single one of those 1099s to the return it should be on, what could possibly go wrong?
The IRS does match those forms so we shall see about the result. Does anyone see fault in this?
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

4account wrote:Does anyone see fault in this?
The long answer is 'no'.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Jeffrey »

Am I reading that correctly, can you really make $500k a year processing loans?
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Kestrel wrote:
Examples of Non-filer Investigations - Fiscal Years 2012, 2013, 2014
Wow. This IRS page really blows away the claim my favorite de-taxer makes so often: "No one ever went to jail for failing to file personal income tax returns."

Next time I hear that from him I'll be able to read him a whole list.

I only wish I knew about this page several years ago.
The "de-taxers" should talk with actor Wesley Snipes (who, from December 9, 2010 to July 19, 2013, was known as "inmate #43355-018") about their contention that no one ever went to jail for failing to file personal income tax returns.....

:|

And let them read this:

http://tpgurus.wikidot.com/wesley-snipes
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Famspear wrote:The "de-taxers" should talk with actor Wesley Snipes (who, from December 9, 2010 to July 19, 2013, was known as "inmate #43355-018") about their contention that no one ever went to jail for failing to file personal income tax returns.....
Oh we've had that conversation about Snipes already, and about at least one other notorious recently convicted non-filer. He tried to claim that the IRS made an exception out of Snipes & company, the "big fish", to scare the little guys into complying with an invalid law.

The IRS page blows that whole theory away. For every one of Snipes ilk, I now have documentation that there are a whole bunch of other non-filers who didn't make the news but went to prison anyway.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Speaking of convictions for not filing tax returns, I like this quote from a federal court case some 32 years ago:
[Defendant, Robert] Romero next alleges that he was denied a fair trial based on an unknowing and unintelligent waiver of appointed counsel. At his initial appearance on November 13, 1979, Romero was advised of his right to be represented by counsel, and a public defender was appointed to represent him. This representation continued until January 8, 1980, when Romero unequivocally stated he wished to represent himself; Romero elected to appear pro se in his own defense. We find that counsel for Romero did adequately represent him until the time of his discharge at the insistence of Romero. [ . . . .] Romero demanded that he be allowed to represent himself, despite being advised by the trial judge that self-representation would be extremely unwise. Romero 'knowingly and intelligently' waived the assistance of counsel. Furthermore, Romero has a constitutional right to represent himself, which the court must honor upon proper request. [ . . . ] It appears that Romero, by his own deliberate and intentional actions, seeks to insert built-in error in these proceedings, so as to postpone a final inquiry into his failure to comply with the tax laws of this country. Courts are established at public expense to try issues, not to play games. Romero was following the scenario used by other tax protestors in discharging appointed counsel and then contending unknowing waiver of counsel.

[ . . . ]

Romero received a fair trial. He based his defense on his proclaimed belief that the wages he earned were not taxable income and that he was not a person within the meaning of the income tax laws. At trial the judge properly instructed the jury on these matters of law. The jury's function is to determine matters of fact. Compensation for labor or services, paid in the form of wages or salary, has been universally, held by the courts of this republic to be income, subject to the income tax laws currently applicable. We recognize that the tax laws bear heavily on all persons engaged in gainful activity, and recognize the right of a taxpayer to minimize his taxes by all lawful means. But Romero here is not attempting to minimize his taxes; instead he is attempting willfully and intentionally to shift his burden to his fellow workers by the use of semantics. He seems to have been inspired by various tax protesting groups across the land who postulate weird and illogical theories of tax avoidance, all to the detriment of the common weal and of themselves.
--from United States v. Romero, 640 F.2d 1014 (9th Cir. 1981) (bolding and large font added) (Robert Romero's conviction on five counts of willful failure to file U.S. federal income tax returns was affirmed).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet