Criminal investigation question

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Criminal investigation question

Post by gottago »

Is there a way to know if the IRS is conducting a criminal investigation or preparing a referral to the DOJ about an individual? Does the person tend to get a certain type of letter or mailings from a certain IRS campus?
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

One clear way to know is when Criminal Investigation agents show up at your door.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
gottago
Victim of Incarcerated Criminal

Post by gottago »

Well, duh, that would be pretty obvious. I was just wondering if a certain IRS "campus" generally "worked up" cases prior to making a recommendation for criminal prosecution or how exactly the decision is made to indict someone.
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

gottago wrote:Well, duh, that would be pretty obvious. I was just wondering if a certain IRS "campus" generally "worked up" cases prior to making a recommendation for criminal prosecution or how exactly the decision is made to indict someone.
The IRS doesn't directly handle criminal matters; these are referred to the DOJ. The IRS has an idea, of course, about which matters deserve referral to the DOJ. But they aren't obligated to tell the taxpayer if they are considering criminal referral.

Neither agency is obligated to tell someone when they are considering criminal charges. They may bring up possible criminal charges as a way of persuading someone. On the other hand, there are times when letting the taxpayer know of possible criminal action would prompt the taxpayer to flee the country or stock up on guns or do something else to avoid the charges. In that case, the government wants to preserve the element of surprise.
hartley

Re: Criminal investigation question

Post by hartley »

gottago wrote:Is there a way to know if the IRS is conducting a criminal investigation or preparing a referral to the DOJ about an individual? Does the person tend to get a certain type of letter or mailings from a certain IRS campus?
Well, sorta. During filing season, if Criminal Investigations Division freezes a refund, they'll send a notice to the taxpayer informing them their return is under review. But it won't mention Criminal Investigation anywhere on the notice, and it is entirely likely that it is their preparer, not the taxpayer themselves, who is under investigation, and CID just systemically froze every return signed by that preparer.
Bud Dickman

Post by Bud Dickman »

best answer is by Observer

One clear way to know is when Criminal Investigation agents show up at your door.
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

What is rather interesting is after the Virginia Tech shooting, reports came out about the investigation. Of course, every time it was anonymous - identity protected, because it was an ongoing investigation.

Does anyone have a problem in protecting someone's identity when they are not supposed to give out this information in the first place?

If you read the many reports that come out, I have yet to see a anonymous disclosure from an IRS employee. That is a guaranteed way out the door.
forensics

Re: Criminal investigation question

Post by forensics »

gottago wrote:Is there a way to know if the IRS is conducting a criminal investigation or preparing a referral to the DOJ about an individual? Does the person tend to get a certain type of letter or mailings from a certain IRS campus?
One way to know for sure what is afoot is to get a copy of your IMF MCC SPECIFIC transcript, then look for certain codes in the entity module, and certain transactions in the tax module(s). As far as Proper Notice is concerned, the only procedural rules I am aware of is 26 CFR 601.107. Whether or not they comply with it is another story altogether ...

Good Luck!
ArthurRubin

Post by ArthurRubin »

Keyboard warning?