Connecticut "sovereign citizen" committed

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

admiralty law
contract law
Uniform Commercial Code
letters to judges
corporate existence
Obviously he didn't consult with the experts at Soooooey.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Actually, i agree with his starting position. In fact i think there should be a law that if a cop asks you for id without a legal reason (not that they merely thought you "looked suspicious", for instance) and you refuse, the cop is required to dance in the street and thank you for remembering that this is a free country.

Unfortunately that part has been not only overshadowed by the rest, but neutralized well, since if none of the entities involved actually exists, then there is only anarchy and nothing to restrict the cops at all.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

grixit wrote:Actually, i agree with his starting position. In fact i think there should be a law that if a cop asks you for id without a legal reason (not that they merely thought you "looked suspicious", for instance) and you refuse, the cop is required to dance in the street and thank you for remembering that this is a free country.
Which is one of the things interesting about this case. If he presented a straight-forward defense on the merits, he would have a lot of public sympathy and would probably get off with either acquittal or a small fine. By spouting gibberish and ranting insanely, he's created the possibility of civil commitment.

Which is what happens when you merge the Sui Juris and Erwin Rommel Schools of Law: You just make things worse for yourself.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

LPC wrote:
grixit wrote:Actually, i agree with his starting position. In fact i think there should be a law that if a cop asks you for id without a legal reason (not that they merely thought you "looked suspicious", for instance) and you refuse, the cop is required to dance in the street and thank you for remembering that this is a free country.
Which is one of the things interesting about this case. If he presented a straight-forward defense on the merits, he would have a lot of public sympathy and would probably get off with either acquittal or a small fine. By spouting gibberish and ranting insanely, he's created the possibility of civil commitment.

Which is what happens when you merge the Sui Juris and Erwin Rommel Schools of Law: You just make things worse for yourself.
In many of the TP cases that I see there is usually a good basis for contesting their tax liability. But because they don't listen to CPAs or lawyers they end up screwing things up and increasing their tax liability exponentially. We also don't know how this guy refused to give his license. Judging by his behavior he was probably a royal asshole about the whole thing and practically begged the officers to get ticked off and arrest him.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

I'd agree with imalawman about there being reasonable avenues tps could follow, but landmine instead. If you do nothing but shut your eyes and stick your fingers in your ears until a judgment is handed down against you, you end up in our state typically with the straight rate times your income calculation, minus the personal exemption. I watched it dawn on one guy in court that if he lost, he was not going to be able to take his honest deductions, credits, etc., against the judgment once he lost. I think until that point he thought it was all a fun exercise in semantics.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Sometimes the best, and maybe only defense is keeping the big aperture closed and the ego in idle, and they never do.
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

As much as I would like to do this with our TPs, I have to think that this is a stretch on the "danger to yourself or others" standard.