Happy 65th Birthday to Ed Brown

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Alright! An endless series of benefit concerts. Hell, if Ed and Elaine are still holed up in December, I'm going to their Christmas party.

This has gone on far too long. Somebody's head should roll in the U.S. Marshal Service and/or at DOJ for allowing this charade to continue.
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Ed is clearly trying to encode secret messages into that banner:

FR appears in red. Ed resembles Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street, a Jim Henson production. This clearly means that he is referring to Fraggle Rock (also a Jim Henson production). One might assume that the significance of the color red is that it is a reference to the character "Red" from Fraggle Rock - but when placed in context of the rest of the message, that simply doesn't make any sense.

EED appears in white. Given Ed's state of mind, it stands for Extreme Emotional Distress. In some cultures, white is considered the color of death. Ed knows that his emotional state will kill him one way or another. Sad. I really want him taken alive.

Let's revisit the FR a moment. There are only two letters in FR. That means he is referring to two of the five Fraggles. The EED gives us a clue as to which of the five fraggles he's referring to. We're looking for the nutty ones. That only really leaves Wembley and Boober.

Moving on to the OM. Well, it stands for Oscar Meyer. And it's in blue. That means he's sad. I suppose he can't have a hot dog and he's a little upset about it. Upset enough to announce it so that everyone brings Oscar Meyer hot dogs to the party.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

I think I'll go, but only if I can rent a black SUV for the trip. :twisted:
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
webhick

Post by webhick »

Actually, I think I have it wrong. The true message Ed is trying to say is that if you don't bring hot dogs to the festival, Ed's going to have a mental breakdown and start pistol-whipping fraggles.

He's disturbed.

Fraggle Rock Theme
Performed by: The Fraggles and Doozers

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work your cares away,
Dancing's for another day.
Let the Fraggles play,
We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

webhick wrote:EED appears in white. Given Ed's state of mind, it stands for Extreme Emotional Distress.
Wrong. It is a plea for help from Elaine. Why? Because Ed has ED and she needs some of those white pills for him.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Randall wrote:Because Ed has ED
Ed is recursive?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Code: Select all

procedure ed

begin
    spew rhetoric;
    if government surrendered
      free at last!
    else
      call ed
   end;

end;
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

grixit wrote:

procedure ed

begin
    spew rhetoric;
    if government surrendered
      free at last!
    else
      call ed
   end;

end;
I can't help but think this thread just taken turn for the uber- nerdy. Unfortunately, I chuckled, thus, I suppose, deep down, I am a nerd.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

Looks like COBAL

BASIC required numbers, i.e.,

10 PRINT "ED IS AN OLD FOOL"
20 X=X+1
30 IF X < 100 THEN GOTO 10
40 STOP
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Crap! I am a nerd... once a nerd, always a nerd.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Joey Smith wrote:Looks like COBAL

20 X=X+1
40 STOP
No, you meant COBOL.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
grixit

Post by grixit »

CaptainKickback wrote:Is that in BASIC?

I used to know the basics of programming in BASIC, Pascal and even a smidgen of Fortran.

On the plus side, by being this much of a nerd, my propellor beanie keeps me cool on warm days (solar powered).
It's called pseudocode. It means using a syntax that's sort of like that of basic, pascal, or other algebraic languages, which most programmers are familiar with.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
grixit

Post by grixit »

Joey Smith wrote:Looks like COBAL

20 X=X+1
40 STOP
Nothing like cobol. Also, more recent versions of basic don't require line numbers.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Jesus, BASIC, or should I say the multitudinous versions of it since it was called BASIC in the olden days when I learned it (the '60s,) hasn't required line numbers for the last couple of decades.

You supposed nerds should really try to keep up.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
webhick

Post by webhick »

. wrote:Jesus, BASIC, or should I say the multitudinous versions of it since it was called BASIC in the olden days when I learned it (the '60s,) hasn't required line numbers for the last couple of decades.

And learn to write poetry in perl.

grep /Randy/, ['too much', 'on camera', 'in front of everyone']
pop (@Ed)
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

CaptainKickback wrote:
webhick wrote:
. wrote:Jesus, BASIC, or should I say the multitudinous versions of it since it was called BASIC in the olden days when I learned it (the '60s,) hasn't required line numbers for the last couple of decades.

And learn to write poetry in perl.

grep /Randy/, ['too much', 'on camera', 'in front of everyone']
pop (@Ed)
So, you are giving us perls of wisdom? :roll:
She might be Jovial, but she has a Lisp.
ElfNinosMom

Post by ElfNinosMom »

Randall wrote:
webhick wrote:EED appears in white. Given Ed's state of mind, it stands for Extreme Emotional Distress.
Wrong. It is a plea for help from Elaine. Why? Because Ed has ED and she needs some of those white pills for him.
EEEEeeeeewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!

After reading that, I need to take my eyeballs out for a good scrubbing. Even the mere thought of Ed's shrunken ... well, you know .... makes me vomit into my mouth just a little. :lol:
ElfNinosMom

Post by ElfNinosMom »

CaptainKickback wrote:Is that in BASIC?

I used to know the basics of programming in BASIC, Pascal and even a smidgen of Fortran.

On the plus side, by being this much of a nerd, my propellor beanie keeps me cool on warm days (solar powered).
I think that is indeed something akin to BASIC, minus the line numbers - uh-oh, am I showing my age by admitting I recognize it as such? :lol:
grixit

Post by grixit »

Nikki wrote:
My father was on the team that created Jovial. He claimed they named it after their boss.

. . . . . . Dr Pepper
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

grixit wrote:
Nikki wrote:
My father was on the team that created Jovial. He claimed they named it after their boss.
Jules' Own Version of the Internatonal Algorithmic Language was a specialized subset of ALGOL developed to write software for the electronics of military aircraft by Jules Schwartz in 1959.

It is still in use today. As such, it is one of the oldest computer languages still in productive use.