advice for property ownersip in the US

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Re: advice for property ownersip in the US

Post by Imalawman »

Randall wrote:
Imalawman wrote:
No_Name1 wrote:My question is what kind of tax would we have to pay the IRS on it? I'm assuming of course we would be subject to any property tax - what about tax on earnings if we rent it out? The government of Canada well want a cut on rental income as we are resident and citizens of Canada. Will the IRS as well?

The IRS will want its cut. But you can offset it by what you paid to Canada (which may be more than the US, in which you would not owe any US taxes)
Back to the original question.

I think you may have this backwards, though I am no expert on international taxation. As a Canadian citizen, I suspect that NN would file the US return first, as a non resident, then claim a foreign tax credit on his Canadian return. The end, offsetting, result may be the same but he may have to pay the IRS on the amount of taxable income from US sources.
That is what I meant to say, but I see I didn't say that at all. Haha, that is what I was thinking, but I must have confused myself. I think you're correct, that would be the result.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown