Big arrests in the Brown case

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

§ 924. Penalties
(c) (1) (A) Except to the extent that a greater minimum sentence is otherwise provided by this subsection or by any other provision of law, any person who, during and in relation to any crime of violence or drug trafficking crime (including a crime of violence or drug trafficking crime that provides for an enhanced punishment if committed by the use of a deadly or dangerous weapon or device) for which the person may be prosecuted in a court of the United States, uses or carries a firearm, or who, in furtherance of any such crime, possesses a firearm, shall, in addition to the punishment provided for such crime of violence or drug trafficking crime--
(i) be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 5 years;
(ii) if the firearm is brandished, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 7 years; and
(iii) if the firearm is discharged, be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years.
(B) If the firearm possessed by a person convicted of a violation of this subsection--
(i) is a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or semiautomatic assault weapon, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years; or
(ii) is a machinegun or a destructive device, or is equipped with a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 30 years.
(C) In the case of a second or subsequent conviction under this subsection, the person shall--
(i) be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 25 years; and

(ii) if the firearm involved is a machinegun or a destructive device, or is equipped with a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, be sentenced to imprisonment for life.
(D) Notwithstanding any other provision of law--
(i) a court shall not place on probation any person convicted of a violation of this subsection; and
(ii) no term of imprisonment imposed on a person under this subsection shall run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed on the person, including any term of imprisonment imposed for the crime of violence or drug trafficking crime during which the firearm was used, carried, or possessed.
Holy cow. I just noticed that the penalty for this one is 5 years minimum and that the sentence can't run concurrently with any of the other charges, which means that Reno and Danny are looking at a minimum of 5 years in prison plus whatever they get for the other three counts, and Jason Gerhard is facing a minimum of 25 years in prison plus the other three counts.
Last edited by Demosthenes on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Demo.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

E&E, Dying Souls wrote:Ed and Elaine Brown are dead and people should stop referring to us as such. We are Ed Lewis and Elaine Alice, living souls.
Well, if E&E are dead, then what the hell is Ed screaming about how they're going to kill them? Is he expecting them to make him deader?
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Imalawman wrote:I guess he didn't run as well this time as he did the last. I wonder if he stopped when threatened this time or if he ran when they pulled a gun. All this tazing (is that a word) can't be good for his nervous system.
At least he wasn't naked, like Reno.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Imalawman wrote:Something tells me he's not going to get bail. I could be wrong though.
Never underestimate a New Hamshire federal district judge.
Demo.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

What happened to the cops being intimidated when "a real american is looking at them"?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

webhick wrote:
E&E, Dying Souls wrote:Ed and Elaine Brown are dead and people should stop referring to us as such. We are Ed Lewis and Elaine Alice, living souls.
Well, if E&E are dead, then what the hell is Ed screaming about how they're going to kill them? Is he expecting them to make him deader?
Nah, that was just E&E's irrational thought #178,657 out of <fill in the blank>

I think Elaine was referring to ED BROWN and ELAINE BROWN (all caps) but I have a hard time knowing the difference between "ED and ELAINE BROWN" from "Ed and Elaine Brown" in the spoken form....
webhick

Post by webhick »

grixit wrote:What happened to the cops being intimidated when "a real american is looking at them"?
Cops are only intimidated when looking directly at real americans. These cops were looking at their reflection in the mirror.

These so-called "Real" Americans are like Medusa.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

Dezcad wrote:
webhick wrote:
Nah, that was just E&E's irrational thought #178,657 out of <fill>

I think Elaine was referring to ED BROWN and ELAINE BROWN (all caps) but I have a hard time knowing the difference between "ED and ELAINE BROWN" from "Ed and Elaine Brown" in the spoken form....
I know :)

They fail to realize that I can call them Tootie Fruities with the Big Patooties, but that doesn't stop them from being felons.
grammarian44

Post by grammarian44 »

Why do you suppose it was only these four supporters who were targeted? I don't remember names, but I believe there are plenty of others who have come and gone from the Brown compound and who have accessorized after the fact in some way.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

grammarian44 wrote:Why do you suppose it was only these four supporters who were targeted? I don't remember names, but I believe there are plenty of others who have come and gone from the Brown compound and who have accessorized after the fact in some way.
http://quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtopic.php?t=1120

Three of those supporters were making large gun purchases while living at the Browns. The fourth one was acting as a mail drop, was doing countersurveillance on the Marshals, and even gave his vehicle to the Browns to use.

I would not assume that arrests are over.
Demo.
AFTP
The Voice of a Free Quatloosia

Post by AFTP »

Demosthenes wrote:
Imalawman wrote:Something tells me he's not going to get bail. I could be wrong though.
Never underestimate a New Hamshire federal district judge.
If they get bail I’ll bet they’ll flee to Ed’s and the stand off will escalate even more.

They should call their compound the Holdout Hotel.
Whenever you hear a man speak of his love for his Country, it is a sign he expects to be paid for it. – H. L. Mencken

Death and Taxes. Ya Think?
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:
Never underestimate a New Hampshire federal district judge.
I laughed when I read that, but inside a little part of me died.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

The US Attorney will be making a STRONG argument against bail, undoubtedly citing the probability (equal to 1) that the foursome will join e&e (specifically not E&E).

Given that the weapons were purchased with the intent to kill (among others) the Judge in question, bail seems highly unlikely.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Nikki wrote:The US Attorney will be making a STRONG argument against bail, undoubtedly citing the probability (equal to 1) that the foursome will join e&e (specifically not E&E).

Given that the weapons were purchased with the intent to kill (among others) the Judge in question, bail seems highly unlikely.
Oh! That's a thought. I had not considered this was the very judge who'd been threatened. I too worried about bail.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

There's almost nothing in any of their roll-over ammunition cases.

The Marshals wouldn't have arrested them without very strong cases and none of them know anything about ed&elaine that hasn't been publicly boasted about for months.

They probably aren't even in a strong enough position to rat each other out.

Their best opportunity will come when their lawyers start negotiating plea deals to avoid trials.

What will be really interesting will be to see how well these rugged Sovereigns hold up in prison.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Video:
http://mfile.akamai.com/12878/wmv/vod.i ... 2.200k.asx
Riley and Wolffe plead not guilty

CONCORD, N.H. -- Two men pleaded not guilty Thursday to providing guns or supplies to convicted tax evaders Ed and Elaine Brown during their self-imposed exile in Plainfield.

Daniel Riley, 40, and Robert Wolffe, 50, were two of four men taken into custody and charged with helping the Browns. The four men were arrested in Texas, Missouri, New York and Vermont, but officials said they were all staying with the Browns at one time.

Investigators said that Riley and Wolffe gave assistance to the Browns in order to keep federal officials from taking the Browns into custody. Indictments released Thursday say that in May, Riley purchased a high-powered rifle from firearms dealer in Newport, N.H.

Around June 2007, Riley delivered a number of fire extinguishers to the Brown home because Ed Brown believed that federal officials would set fire to the house, officials said.

Wolffe was accused of helping the Browns by providing a car and other assistance. Officials said that the car has been used by other supporters of the Browns to run errands and gather supplies for them.

The indictments also reveal something about the firepower officials believe is in the Browns' home. The documents said that at least nine high-powered rifles are inside the compound.

Wolffe is facing once count of accessory after the fact. Riley was also charged with being an accessory along with two counts of conspiracy and a firearms charge. The two are scheduled for trial in November.

"These are very serious felonies," U.S. Marshal Stephen Monier said. "They carry very heavy terms of imprisonment."

Also indicted were Cirino "Reno" Gonzalez, 30, and Jason Gerhard, 22. They face similar charges and are awaiting extradition. Monier said that these may not be the last indictments.

"Those people who are aiding and abetting the Browns or thinking of aiding and abetting the Browns are subjecting themselves to investigation, possible arrest and prosecution," Monier said.

Some supporters of the Browns and the men facing charges gathered outside the courthouse before the arraignment.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Around June 2007, Riley delivered a number of fire extinguishers to the Brown home because Ed Brown believed that federal officials would set fire to the house, officials said.
One can only begin to imagine what Riley would have delivered should Ed have believed that federal officials ordered the Sta-Puf Marshmallow Man to attack his house.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

"Those people who are aiding and abetting the Browns or thinking of aiding and abetting the Browns are subjecting themselves to investigation, possible arrest and prosecution," Monier said.
I seem to remember this same thing being said before by the authorities in this case. You'd think they enacted thought crime legislation or something.

(Puts on tin-foil hat so the government can't read my mind)..
Last edited by RyanMcC on Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

2 plead innocent in helping N.H. tax-evading couple

CONCORD, N.H. -- Two men pleaded innocent Thursday to charges of providing guns or other supplies to a fugitive couple convicted of tax evasion, while two other supporters of Ed and Elaine Brown were awaiting extradition to face the charges.

Wearing ankle chains, 40-year-old Daniel Riley of Cohoes, N.Y., and 50-year-old Robert Wolffe of Randolph, Vt., made separate, brief appearances in a federal courtroom to plead not guilty to charges of supporting the convicted couple during their self-imposed exile at their fortress-like home in Plainfield. Both were appointed lawyers for trials in November. Bail hearings were scheduled for Monday.

Meanwhile, authorities on eastern Long Island reported seizing a pipe bomb and rifles from the Brookhaven home of 22-year-old Jason Gerhard, a supporter of the Browns and a recent Army recruit. Gerhard was arrested Wednesday at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri.

A fourth man, 30-year-old Cirino Gonzalez, was arrested in Alice, Texas. Gerhard and Gonzalez are awaiting extradition hearings before they can be brought to New Hampshire to face the charges.

The Browns, who were convicted in January and have refused to turn themselves in to authorities, claim the federal income tax is not legitimate. They've drawn supporters from across the country. Some of those relationships ended bitterly after the Browns squabbled with bloggers, radio hosts, and several spokesmen and assistants.

The hearings for Riley and Wolffe drew a small handful of supporters to the federal courthouse, including a couple wearing T-shirts reading, "I support Ed and Elaine Brown, Show me the law" and one person holding a painted sign with the slogan, "Free the Ed Brown Supporters."

Wolffe's wife also was present. She declined to speak to reporters after the hearing.

Stephen Monier, the U.S. Marshal for New Hampshire, warned Thursday that anyone helping the Browns could face prosecution, and that the Browns themselves face deepening criminal charges as they continue their monthslong refusal to report to prison.

"This was a tax case, but the Browns have allegedly engaged with others and encouraged others to assist them in their ongoing obstruction of justice," Monier said. "Edward Brown has threatened law enforcement and other government officials, and he's encouraged people to provide them _ to supply them with supplies, including weapons and ammunition. Unfortunately that only adds to his legal difficulties and to ongoing criminal investigations into their conduct."

He refused to elaborate on more arrests of supporters or charges against the Browns, the location of guns purchased for the Browns or future plans to arrest them.

"Their support has begun to diminish by some of their own actions and by some of the steps that we have taken, and we hope this sends a strong message to anybody who may be considering going there," Monier said.

Authorities have cut phone lines and power to the house, which is outfitted to produce and run on wind and solar power, but Monier said his office is still hoping the Browns _ who abandoned their trial in January _ will give themselves up.

"We have said from the beginning that we are going to take a slow, deliberate and methodical approach to convincing the Browns that they need to do the right thing and surrender to authorities as they are legally obligated to do. So far that hasn't happened but we're going to continue taking that careful and deliberate approach," Monier said. "At the same time, we're going to be looking at others who may be aiding and abetting them in their obstruction of justice."

A jury found the Browns guilty of avoiding $1.9 million of income _ mostly earned by Elaine Brown, a dentist _ between 1996 and 2003. They each were sentenced to more than five years in prison and authorities seized property they owned in Lebanon. Since abandoning his trial and retreating to his home, Ed Brown has repeatedly said that any attempts to arrest him would result in a violent confrontation.

Indictments against Riley, Gerhard and Gonzalez contain similar allegations _ that the men provided weapons to the Browns, interfered with authorities' attempts to arrest the couple and publicly declared their intention to stage an armed resistance. Authorities allege that the three men purchased at least nine guns _ eight rifles and one shot gun _ for the Browns, according to the documents.

Riley, Gonzalez and Gerhard each are charged with conspiracy against federal officers, conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, firearms possession and being an accessory after the fact. Gerhard faces four extra weapons charges. The three were identified through a photo on Gerhard's Myspace site that showed them posing with rifles and Ed Brown.

Wolffe faces one felony count of being an accessory after the fact. He is accused of providing a car to the Browns that supporters used to run errands and gather supplies, arranging deliveries of food and supplies, providing armed security on the Plainfield property and conducting surveillance of U.S. Marshals.

A posting on a Web site about the Browns called for "emergency action" to help the men.

"Harmless supporters of harmless Ed and Elaine Brown have been harmed by agents of the de facto, illegitimate, autocracy calling itself the Federal Government" read the entry onMakethestand.com.

The site also announces a "Fall Freedom Fest" concert Saturday at the Brown's hilltop compound. Monier discouraged the press and public from attending, alluding to "hazardous conditions" on the property. Brown previously commented that the land is booby-trapped; Monier did not directly confirm that but said it's not safe to visit.

"Don't go there," Monier said. "We are aware there are hazardous conditions on the property. I would strongly encourage you not to go there, it's a safety issue."
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
webhick

Post by webhick »

The Observer wrote:
One can only begin to imagine what Riley would have delivered should Ed have believed that federal officials ordered the Sta-Puf Marshmallow Man to attack his house.
Microwaves.