Murphy Doesn't Give Up

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Murphy Doesn't Give Up

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Ms. Murphy has filed a Petition for Rehearing En Banc, asking the full D.C. Circuit to reverse the panel's second decision and reinstate its earlier decision.

Link to the Petition here:
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ks-en.html
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

According to the second DC Circuit opinion, the amount of tax at issue is $20,665. I would say that the legal fees exceeded that amount a long time ago.

Who is paying for all this?
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Her lawyers are not tax lawyers, but plaintiffs' employment discrimination lawyers. The plaintiffs' employment bar is very interested in this case.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The DC Court of Appeals has denied the petition for rehearing en banc. According to the one-sentence order, no member of the court even asked for a vote on the petition.

Next stop: Supreme Court (which will deny cert.)

Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

LPC wrote:
The DC Court of Appeals has denied the petition for rehearing en banc. According to the one-sentence order, no member of the court even asked for a vote on the petition.

Yes. I still think the three judges who generated all this should be required to take a remedial Federal income tax course or something.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Famspear wrote:LPC wrote:

Yes. I still think the three judges who generated all this should be required to take a remedial Federal income tax course or something.
Geez, I know. I was talking with a supreme court clerk the other day who previously had clerked for one of the three judges right before this case came up. He was really astounded that the case was decided like it was. I asked what he thought happened and he had no answer as to why they mangled the first opinion. Well, I guess nobody's perfect. In the end, I guess no harm was really done. I'm just glad it was corrected before I received a bunch of TP cases claiming Murphy as support for the "no gain for labor" nonsense.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown