Brown supporters indictments

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Scoop wrote:
I can't comment on the baby business, but the latest I heard is they'll be here sometime tomorrow.
Any idea when the bail hearing will be or who has been appointed to represent these fine gentlemen?
Last edited by ErsatzAnatchist on Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

2nd arrested Brown supporter to remain in jail until trial
10:35 AM EDT, September 19, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. - A New York man charged with providing guns and other assistance to convicted New Hampshire tax evaders Ed and Elaine Brown will stay jailed until his trial in November.

Daniel Riley of Cohoes, N.Y., waived his right to a detention hearing in U.S. District Court in Concord. He faces four felony counts stemming from allegations he plotted against the government and federal officials by helping the Browns evade authorities.

Meanwhile two other Brown supporters arrested last week, Cirino Gonzalez, of Texas, and Jason Gerhard, of New York, are expected to make their first court appearance in New Hampshire tomorrow.

A fourth man, Robert Wolffe, of Randolph, Vt., is already in jail pending a November trial.
Demo.
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

ErsatzAnatchist wrote: Any idea when the bail hearing will be or who has been appointed to represent these fine gentlemen?
NOTICE OF HEARING as to Jason Gerhard: Arraignment set for 9/20/2007 11:00 AM before Magistrate Judge James R. Muirhead. (amm) (Entered: 09/19/2007)

NOTICE OF HEARING as to Cirino Gonzalez: Arraignment set for 9/20/2007 03:30 PM before Magistrate Judge James R. Muirhead. (jgb) (Entered: 09/19/2007)

Nothing in the docket about lawyers yet. I would imagine that the detention hearings will be soon.

p.s. I *love* my new headshot!
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

A dubious alliance leads to jail as Cohoes man awaits trial
Police say local electrician joined tax-evading couple in standoff

By ROBERT GAVIN, Staff writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.

First published: Thursday, September 20, 2007

They didn't believe in paying taxes. They also didn't believe in going to prison.
When Daniel J. Riley of Cohoes heard their message in January, he believed in Edward and Elaine Brown -- and joined their fight against the U.S. government, federal court papers show.

Within months, the 40-year-old electrician was sleeping next to a shotgun, setting up motion detectors and ordering explosives to assist the fugitive couple holed up on their 100-acre New Hampshire estate, according to a affidavit filed in U.S. District Court in Concord.

Riley allegedly planned to defend the couple "with force" if agents swooped into the Plainfield, N.H., fortress, but it never got that far. Last week, he was arrested at his Younglove Avenue home and faces up to 21 years in prison if convicted on charges that include conspiring against the U.S. government.

"Everyone is free to criticize our tax laws," said Stephen Monier, the U.S. marshal for New Hampshire. "What you're not free to do is aid convicted felons who are obstructing justice."

Riley had his own view. In videotaped interviews now circulating on the Internet and YouTube.com, he made it crystal-clear, calling on "true Americans" to "wake up" and join the opposition to government tax policies and international bankers.

"If you're an American patriot fighting for the Constitution, I can't see how you can't give support to this cause," Riley, wearing sunglasses, told an interviewer from the Keene, N.H.-based "Free Minds" TV on July 15. "It's either slavery or freedom. There's really no in between."

That month, according to court papers, Riley also posed for a photo with Edward Brown, later posted on MySpace.com.

Today, the Browns remain in their compound, staving off capture long after being convicted for not paying hundreds of thousands of dollars over several years.

Riley, who appeared in U.S. District Court in Concord on Wednesday, is being held without bail until his case goes to trial. He faces four felony counts.

His journey from his native Cohoes to the Browns' home started with a letter to a New Hampshire newspaper in January to show his support for the couple, court papers show.

In his hometown, Riley was already well-known. He met with Mayor John T. McDonald III, sometimes making subtle threats, the mayor said, also recalling lawsuits Riley had filed against the city.

"He truly had the neighborhood living on the edge all the time," McDonald said. "We had grave concerns about Dan ... we just knew something was going on. We're just very fortunate that the marshals and all the other agencies also stepped in."

Riley mailed his letter of support just as Edward Brown, the one-time "national commander" of the U.S. Constitutional Rangers, a group with anti-government views, and his wife, Elaine, were about to gain national notoriety. The Browns, who defended themselves at trial, asserted "no legal authority" existed for the U.S. government to collect taxes.

Neither Edward Brown, a former pest-exterminator who vanished in midtrial, nor his wife, a dentist, were present when sentenced to 63 months in prison in April.

After Riley sent his letter to the Concord Monitor newspaper in January, he e-mailed a copy of it to Edward Brown, who thanked him. Brown supporter Cirino Gonzales of Texas later invited Riley to visit the estate, court papers said.

Their fortress, located on an isolated dirt road, includes a turret offering a 360-degree view. While power was cut off to disable phone and Internet service, officials believe the Browns use generators -- and sympathizers like Riley.

He became the Browns' regular overnight guest in May. That month, he delivered about $100 of groceries, staying for three nights. At the time, Gonzales brought a 9mm assault rifle and .22-caliber handgun, Riley told U.S. Marshal Supervisory Inspector James Alandydy in the affidavit.

Riley told the inspector he helped move about 25 fire extinguishers from Elaine Brown's dental office in Lebanon, N.H. to the compound because her husband believed agents might set the home ablaze.

Riley and Gonzales also bought a .50-caliber rifle -- a weapon designed to quickly fire large-caliber rounds capable of penetrating military body armor -- on May 23, court papers said.

Riley recalled bringing a 20-gauge shotgun into the Brown's home on June 5, and that he "kept it near him when he slept," court papers said.

Riley told the inspector he bought 12 pounds of Tannerite, a chemical agent for an explosive device, because Edward Brown asked him. Riley believed it was delivered to his residence in Cohoes, court papers said.

Riley told the inspector he helped install motion detector lights on the Brown's property, at Edward Brown's request, on June 6.

Riley told Alandydy he believed the Browns planned to use explosive devices "as grenades if law enforcement agents attempt to enter their home," court papers said.

Riley also said if he was back in New York and learned agents tried to arrest the Browns, he would arm himself, drive to their home and, if needed, defend them with force.

On June 7, as Riley left the estate to walk a dog, U.S. marshals hid on the property, court papers show. After spotting a marshal, Riley screamed to alert the Browns, ran and was hit with a Taser, officials said.

In interviews online, Riley states marshals fired two shots at him, a claim Monier, the U.S. marshal for New Hampshire, denies.

What appears undisputed in court papers, and on the Internet, is Riley's unwavering support for the Browns as he remains behind bars.

"It's one of the most important stories to date," Riley said in his online interview. "I don't see anything more important. Paris Hilton or whatever? Forget about it. This is where it's at."

Gavin can be reached at 434-2403 or by e-mail at rgavin@ timesunion.com.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

"It's one of the most important stories to date," Riley said in his online interview. "I don't see anything more important. Paris Hilton or whatever? Forget about it. This is where it's at."
Considering that Paris Hilton news is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel for me in terms of interest, I think Dogwalker Riley has set the benchmarks pretty low.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Ally of Browns remains in jail

By Margot Sanger-Katz
Monitor staff

September 20, 2007 12:37AM

A man accused of helping Plainfield tax protesters Ed and Elaine Brown escape arrest agreed yesterday to remain in jail until his trial.

Daniel Riley, 40, of Cohoes, N.Y., waived his right to a detention hearing yesterday. His lawyer, Mark Howard, did not say why.

Riley has been charged with four felonies and is accused of living in the Brown home, installing motion-sensor lights and bringing weapons to use in the couple's defense. He was also charged with conspiring with others to interfere with federal marshals' efforts to apprehend the Browns. He is one of four Brown supporters arrested last week by marshals outside of New Hampshire.

Ed and Elaine Brown, convicted of a number of tax-related crimes, have remained holed up in their hilltop home for nearly eight months, threatening violence if marshals come to arrest them. A rotating group of supporters has brought them food, supplies, weapons and disposable cell phones.

U.S. Marshal Stephen Monier has warned for months that supporters would face arrest and prosecution, but last week's arrests are the first his office has made in the case.

Because Riley declined to challenge his imprisonment, prosecutors did not present any new evidence in his case yesterday. But previously released court documents describe Riley as a core helper of the Browns and a significant source of information for the marshals' investigation.

Riley became famous among Brown supporters after he stumbled upon a hidden surveillance team while walking the Browns' dog one June morning. On a lengthy video he posted online that night, Riley described how he ran from the marshals and was shocked with a Taser as he called out to warn the couple. He said marshals interrogated him and asked him to lie to the Browns about his encounter.

Court documents reveal that, during his detention that day, Riley told marshals about explosives he had seen in the house and additional explosives he had purchased at Ed Brown's request. Riley also told marshals that he had brought the Browns groceries and supplies, installed motion-sensor lights, and performed armed patrols of their property, the documents said.

Riley's agreement to waive his hearing yesterday was made "without prejudice," which means he could challenge his detention at some later date. He is the second arrested Brown supporter to agree to remain jailed. Robert Wolffe, 50, of Randolph, Vt., agreed to continued detention at a similar hearing Monday.

Riley's brother, Bill Riley, drove from Albany to attend yesterday's hearing. He appeared surprised when the judge announced Riley's decision to waive the hearing, but he declined to comment about the case.

Two other arrested supporters are scheduled to appear in court today for arraignments.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Ok, so what possible benefit is there in accepting detention for a TP? I know that the instant response is going to be is that the TP will be getting 3 hots and a cot. But I can't believe that a TP would see prison as a permanent solution to their support issue.

What legal angle is in play here? Is this part of Riley and Wolffe's strategy in providing evidence against the Browns in return for a reduced sentence? Would staying in detention make that more plausible?

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Martyrdom. According to Danny's brother, Danny is fasting -- no food, no water.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Ah - he is pulling a Schulz. When does he put on a toga and threaten to immolate himself?

webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Demosthenes wrote:Danny is fasting -- no food, no water.
I don't think many people would classify what they serve in prison as "food".
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

The Observer wrote:Ah - he is pulling a Schulz. When does he put on a toga and threaten to immolate himself?
I believe the toga and self-immolation refers to Gene Chapman - not Schulz? May his presidential campaign rest in peace.

"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Demosthenes wrote:According to Danny's brother, Danny is fasting -- no food, no water.
Actually, "fasting" means to go without food; you can still have all the water you want.

Refusing water is so unusual, and so deadly (2-3 days without water can be fatal), that there isn't even have a word for it. ("Self-dehydration" would be about as close as anything I can think of.)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

LPC wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:According to Danny's brother, Danny is fasting -- no food, no water.
Actually, "fasting" means to go without food; you can still have all the water you want.

Refusing water is so unusual, and so deadly (2-3 days without water can be fatal), that there isn't even have a word for it. ("Self-dehydration" would be about as close as anything I can think of.)
I believe that there's more than one kind of fasting. A "Total Fast" is where you go without any food or water. A "Normal" fast is where you go without food, but still take in water. There may be more.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

LPC wrote:

Which is why I felt obliged to provide details, and not just the word "fasting" -- not just "no food," but "no food, no water."
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.wmur.com/news/14158642/detail.html
2 Arrested Supporters Of Browns To Appear In Court
Men Charged With Helping Convicted Tax Evaders

POSTED: 12:15 pm EDT September 20, 2007

CONCORD, N.H. -- Two men charged with helping convicted tax evaders Ed and Elaine Brown avoid being captured were scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

A hearing for Jason Gerhard, 22, of Brookhaven, N.Y., in U.S. District Court in Concord lasted only minutes. Gerhard is facing two counts of conspiracy, one count of being an accessory and several charges related to possession of a firearm.

Police said that Gerhard and Cirino Gonzalez, of Alice, Texas, helped the Browns at the Browns' Plainfield, N.H., home, where they have been holed up since being convicted on federal tax evasion charges.

Gerhard declined to enter his own pleas, and the court entered not guilty pleas on his behalf. Prosecutors asked that he be detained, saying that he is a flight risk and a danger to the community.

Gerhard's court-appointed attorney requested that the detention hearing be delayed until next week because he had just received the case.

Gerhard and Gonzalez are two of four men arrested recently. U.S. Marshal Stephen Monier said that the arrests are part of a plan to get the Browns to surrender peacefully.

"We've had a range of options available to us, and we've always said we are going to approach this in a methodical and purposeful way in terms of how we move forward to resolve this the right way, and we are continuing down that road," Monier said. "We're taking measures to control access to the property. We've made arrests. We're sending strong messages."

Gonzalez was scheduled to be arraigned later in the afternoon.
Demo.
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

The Observer wrote:
Considering that Paris Hilton news is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel for me in terms of interest, I think Dogwalker Riley has set the benchmarks pretty low.
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoon ... cfm/37429/
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Imalawman wrote:
The Observer wrote:Ah - he is pulling a Schulz. When does he put on a toga and threaten to immolate himself?
I believe the toga and self-immolation refers to Gene Chapman - not Schulz? May his presidential campaign rest in peace.
Yes, that is exactly to whom I was referring. I wasn't mixing up Gene and Bob. It was more a sarcastic commentary on TPs aping the idiot TP leaders. I was just wondering when the Schulz death fast didn't work, would Riley up the ante by playing the Chapman immolation threat.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The grand jury signed off on a superceding indictment for Jason Gerhard:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/gerhardssindict.pdf
Demo.
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

The word you are looking for is "Yom Kippur."
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Demosthenes wrote:The grand jury signed off on a superceding indictment for Jason Gerhard:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/gerhardssindict.pdf
Six counts of possession of a firearm in relation to a crime of violence. Potentially six consecutive 5 year minimum sentences. :shock: