What is income?

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Colonel_Buck
Scalawag
Scalawag

What is income?

Post by Colonel_Buck »

My wife and I received a check as settlement of a class action lawsuit we were involved in and I was wondering if it is considered income? Gross, taxable or otherwise?
What kind of bomb was it? The exploding kind.
How can a blind man be a lookout? How can an idiot be a policeman?
But that's a priceless Steinway. Not any more.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

The simplest answer is "assume it is income."

Next, review the tax code to see if it is specifically addressed.

Better yet, contact a knowledgable tax professional with the specifics of the settlement and have him/her make the determination.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

If I rob a bank and get away clean, do I have income? :?
BBFlatt
Captain
Captain

Post by BBFlatt »

Truthstalker wrote:If I rob a bank and get away clean, do I have income? :?
For purposes of IRC seciton 61, if you are a U.S. Citizen or the bank is located in the U.S., you have gross income.

If you later get caught, and pay back the money (or as much as you have left after wine, women, cigars and Glocks) you have an itemized deduction.

Room and board at the state or federal facility of the court's choice is a non-taxable benefit.
When the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you where would you hide, the laws all being flat? ...Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of the law, for my own safety's sake. -- Robert Bolt; A Man for all Seasons
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

My wife and I received a check as settlement of a class action lawsuit we were involved in and I was wondering if it is considered income? Gross, taxable or otherwise?
It depends on what the case was about.

If it was a class action against your employer for not paying overtime pay to its employees, the amount received in the lawsuit is a replacement for what would have been taxable wages, so the lawsuit payment is taxable. If the lawsuit was for losses when you sold stock, the amount received is probably capital gains. If it is for personal injuries, it is not taxable.

You should consult a tax professional, because sometimes these issues raise close questions.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)