Probation for Threats on N.D. Delegation

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — A truck driver who threatened to kill the state's congressional delegation in a dispute over back taxes was sentenced Monday to five years of probation.

Ingmar Sjokvist, 58, of Dazey, pleaded guilty to making the threats against Sens. Byron Dorgan, Kent Conrad and Rep. Earl Pomeroy, all Democrats.

Authorities said Sjokvist was upset that the Internal Revenue Service was taking his money without a court order. The federal complaint said Sjokvist told one of Dorgan's staff members, "You tell Dorgan and his buddies Pomeroy and Conrad that I'm gonna start with Dorgan's office and take them all down just like Gordon Kahl did."

Two federal marshals were shot and killed near Medina in 1983 when they tried to arrest Kahl, a farmer and tax protester.

Defense attorney Christopher Lancaster said during Monday's hearing that much of his client's anger was due to a hyperactive thyroid. The condition was discovered during a health evaluation ordered by a judge.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Lynn Jordheim agreed that Sjokvist's treatment has improved his demeanor.

U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson ordered Sjokvist to continue treatment and barred him from contacting Dorgan, Conrad and Pomeroy.
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

That seems like a good result. Hopefully, he will improve his life and move on to better things.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

hyperactive thyroid
Or something or other. Perhaps this explains the TP malady.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

. wrote:
hyperactive thyroid
Or something or other. Perhaps this explains the TP malady.
Probably caused by all that fluoride in the water or the chemtrails in the sky.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff