Brown supporter arrests (continued)

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

What, Ed and Elaine have not come out in support of Reno? I'm shocked, simply shocked! :roll:

What amazes me is that Jose actually expected anything other than self serving behavior from all of these TPs. Which part of self serving narcissistic nutcase don't you understand?

Sigh....

At this point I actually feel bad for Reno. Not bad enough to send money though.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

They have disappeared like rats in a sinking ship.
What a shock.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

Jose M. wrote:I feel the real mistake was trusting latté-sipping keyboard clickers to give up their air-conditioning & cable television to make a real stand.
Show me the law that says I have to.
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

The cost of a real attorney starts at $50,000.00 so a court-appointed attorney will have to do.
So a court-appointed attorney is not a "real attorney." Wait until I tell some of my fellow firm associates that they are not real attorneys because the court has appointed them to represent alleged criminals in our county.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

If the base cost of a "real" attorney is $50,000, then I really am in the wrong business. No wonder why lawyers around here cannot find work. No one can afford to hire them!*

*I suspect in the Illuminati controlled world to be a "real" attorney yoo need to be a certified joo, and competition is outlawed through secret price controls. :twisted:
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

United States of America *

v. * Case No. 1:07-cr-189-01-PB

Daniel Riley *

ASSENTED-TO MOTION TO WITHDRAW AS COUNSEL

NOW COMES undersigned appointed counsel, Attorney Mark E. Howard, and respectfully requests that this Court permit him to withdraw from representation of the defendant Daniel Riley in the above matter. Counsel says further:

1. The defendant was arrested in Albany, New York, on September 12, 2007, and removed to this Court, where he appeared for arraignment on September 13, 2007. Undersigned counsel was appointed by the Magistrate Judge to represent the defendant.

2. Circumstances have developed in the course of the representation that have caused an irremediable breakdown in the attorney client relationship which prevent undersigned counsel from providing effective assistance of counsel. In addition, the defendant has instructed undersigned counsel to file this withdrawal.

3. AUSA Bob Kinsella assents to the relief sought in this motion.

WHEREFORE, undersigned counsel respectfully requests that this Court permit him to withdraw from representation of the defendant in this case.

Respectfully submitted,

KACAVAS RAMSDELL
& HOWARD, P.L.L.C.

Dated: October 2, 2007 By: __/s/Mark E. Howard_______
Mark E. Howard (#4077)
175 Canal Street
Manchester, NH 03101
(603) 625-1254
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

2. Circumstances have developed in the course of the representation that have caused an irremediable breakdown in the attorney client relationship which prevent undersigned counsel from providing effective assistance of counsel. In addition, the defendant has instructed undersigned counsel to file this withdrawal.

Translation: "My client is an idiot. There is no defense that I can offer that he would approve that won't get me sanctioned and/or disbarred. So I am outa here!"
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Dan Riley = F'ing moron.

Apparently this isn't a real lawyer - the level of stupidity is astounding with these guys.
Mark joined Kacavas Ramsdell & Howard in 2006 after 8 years as a federal prosecutor in the United States Attorney�s Office, and 19 years of trial experience in federal and state courts in New Hampshire and throughout the country. His practice includes federal and state criminal defense, federal and state appeals, commercial litigation, personal injury and professional liability matters.

As an Assistant United States Attorney from 1998 to 2006, Mark prosecuted hundreds of federal felony offenses. As a former supervisor of violent crimes in the U.S. Attorney�s Office, Mark focused on federal firearms laws, robberies and narcotics offenses. As supervisor of criminal appeals, Mark not only oversaw the appellate work of other attorneys, but also personally handled over 30 criminal appeals in the First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, Massachusetts.

Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney�s Office, Mark was a homicide prosecutor in the New Hampshire Attorney General�s Office from 1988 to 1991. Mark prosecuted many murder cases and represented the State before the New Hampshire Supreme Court in over 25 criminal appeals. From 1991 and 1998, Mark practiced as a civil trial attorney with the Manchester law firm of Merrill & Broderick (and its successor firms), where he tried such diverse matters as multi-million dollar asbestos property damage cases, legal and other professional liability matters, commercial disputes, and personal injury claims.

Mark has been a member of the New Hampshire Bar Association since 1987, and served as Chair of the Ethics Committee from 1993 to 1997. In 1997, Mark was awarded the New Hampshire Bar Foundation�s Robert E. Kirby Award, which is presented to a New Hampshire lawyer under the age of 35 who exhibits outstanding professionalism, diligence, competence and perspective.

In addition to his trial practice, Mark served from 1994 to 2002 as an adjunct professor law at the Pierce Law Center in Concord, New Hampshire, where he taught criminal law and courses in professional ethics and federal court jurisdiction. Mark lectures frequently on criminal competency and insanity issues, as well as federal sentencing, at the Pierce Law Center and at the Vermont Law School. In 2002, Mark was invited to lecture at the University of Wales at Aberystwyth in the United Kingdom.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Pffffttt!
Who needs a lawyer with all those fancy credentials when you can defend yourself?
Mark lectures frequently on criminal competency and insanity issues, as well as federal sentencing
Nope no relevance in this case..

My bet is on a combination of check bouncing and a refusal by Riley to cooperate.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

In 2002, Mark was invited to lecture at the University of Wales at Aberystwyth in the United Kingdom.
I'm betting it's because he really works for the Queen.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

CaptainKickback wrote:Either that or the retainer check bounced........
What check? This very real attorney was assigned to Danny by the Court after Danny claimed poverty.

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/riley11.pdf
Demo.
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

You know, the judge may let this attorney withdraw, but eventually he's going to make one of these poor guys stay with the case. I would hate to be the one that catches that Hot Potato.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

The Observer wrote:
Translation: "My client is an idiot. There is no defense that I can offer that he would approve that won't get me sanctioned and/or disbarred. So I am outa here!"
I suspect it's actually worse than that. If the problem was simply that the client was an idiot and won't approve of a reasonable defense strategy, then very few people would be able to keep a court-appointed attorney.

The lawyer has probably explained to Mr. Riley the hard facts of life about what the law is and why everything he believes is crap, and Mr. Riley has concluded that the lawyer is one of "them" (i.e., one of "us") and now refuses to talk to him any more, making any kind of a defense completely impossible.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

CaptainKickback wrote:If attorney after attorney finds that Danny is a loon who want's to pursue a defense that is indefensible and that no attorney could or would follow, can a judge order a competency hearing regarding Danny's mental capacity to even be involved in his own trial?
Yes, but it probably wouldn't take that exact route. In the likely event that either Danny wants another lawyer or another lawyer seeks to be relieved, the judge would probably order an ex parte hearing and inquire of Danny why he wants yet another lawyer. It's then Danny's answer which would then decide whether a competency hearing is held.

Nitwit-ism is generally not enough for incompetence.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

Imalawman wrote:Dan Riley = F'ing moron.

Apparently this isn't a real lawyer - the level of stupidity is astounding with these guys.
Mark joined Kacavas Ramsdell & Howard in 2006 after 8 years as a federal prosecutor in the United States Attorney�s Office, and 19 years of trial experience in federal and state courts in New Hampshire and throughout the country. His practice includes federal and state criminal defense, federal and state appeals, commercial litigation, personal injury and professional liability matters.

As an Assistant United States Attorney from 1998 to 2006, Mark prosecuted hundreds of federal felony offenses. As a former supervisor of violent crimes in the U.S. Attorney�s Office, Mark focused on federal firearms laws, robberies and narcotics offenses. As supervisor of criminal appeals, Mark not only oversaw the appellate work of other attorneys, but also personally handled over 30 criminal appeals in the First Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, Massachusetts.

Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney�s Office, Mark was a homicide prosecutor in the New Hampshire Attorney General�s Office from 1988 to 1991. Mark prosecuted many murder cases and represented the State before the New Hampshire Supreme Court in over 25 criminal appeals. From 1991 and 1998, Mark practiced as a civil trial attorney with the Manchester law firm of Merrill & Broderick (and its successor firms), where he tried such diverse matters as multi-million dollar asbestos property damage cases, legal and other professional liability matters, commercial disputes, and personal injury claims.

Mark has been a member of the New Hampshire Bar Association since 1987, and served as Chair of the Ethics Committee from 1993 to 1997. In 1997, Mark was awarded the New Hampshire Bar Foundation�s Robert E. Kirby Award, which is presented to a New Hampshire lawyer under the age of 35 who exhibits outstanding professionalism, diligence, competence and perspective.

In addition to his trial practice, Mark served from 1994 to 2002 as an adjunct professor law at the Pierce Law Center in Concord, New Hampshire, where he taught criminal law and courses in professional ethics and federal court jurisdiction. Mark lectures frequently on criminal competency and insanity issues, as well as federal sentencing, at the Pierce Law Center and at the Vermont Law School. In 2002, Mark was invited to lecture at the University of Wales at Aberystwyth in the United Kingdom.
Merrill & Broderick - as in (now former) Governor Steven Merrill and Chief Judge New Hampshire Supreme Court John Broderick.

Mark Howard sure does not suck on paper. :lol:

While I have no personal experience with him as an attorney, I would be willing to bet next months mortgage payment that he doesn't suck in Court either.

Mark Howard's appointment is as a private attorney being paid for by the Federal Court at very reduced rates. There is only one Federal Public Defender's Office in New Hampshire, so in any case with more than one defendant (or where a witness was previously represented by the PD), the Court must assign outside counsel.

Way back in the day (before they had any quality control over who was on the Court appointed list), I handled a couple of drug cases and even one tax case (second violation of supervised release, a truly hilarious case). The Court decided to require some standards for being on the Court appointed list, so I did not remain on the list. Besides, criminal defendants (at least all of the ones I dealt with) whine like crazy. I hate whining. Really hate it.

Client: [whine] Why do I have to go to jail? It's not fair! [\whine]

Me: Because you sold crack to an undercover police officer while he was wearing a wire. If you did not sell crack to police officers, you would not be going to jail.

(True story, except my answer was a little more measured).

The language:
is of course standard code for either "my client insists upon a course of action which I cannot take under the rules of professional conduct" or "My client is such an ass that I cannot deal with him any more."

If Mark Howard thought that Dan Riley needed a competency evaluation, he would have requested one. Riley is not insane, he is an ass. :roll:
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

I'm loathe to make recommendations to counsel of other jurisdictions, but there's an extra cattle prod 'round here somewhere. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
webhick

Post by webhick »

ErsatzAnatchist wrote:The Court decided to require some standards for being on the Court appointed list, so I did not remain on the list.
Now there's something to put in your next phone book ad:

For an attorney who doesn't meet the standard, call 603-xxx-xxxx.

:)
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I guess Danny still thinks he's gonna dogwalk on this one.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
RyanMcC

Post by RyanMcC »

LPC wrote: The lawyer has probably explained to Mr. Riley the hard facts of life about what the law is and why everything he believes is crap, and Mr. Riley has concluded that the lawyer is one of "them" (i.e., one of "us") and now refuses to talk to him any more, making any kind of a defense completely impossible.
Aparantly I'm a communist who sucks at the IRS nipple, and am a threat to his liberties which must be "dealt with accordingly".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwqph0e9f3c
(Just noticed his last comment to me before he went on "vacation").

I thought I was a Self-Employed Libertarian who supports the abolition of the IRS because I'm tired of constantly sending them money. Go figure.

I guess if you acknowledge reality for what it is that makes you the enemy.

I didn't realise "Show me the law" meant "Show me the law so I can issue a veiled death threat against you".

It's bad when you go so far over the edge that someone in his position sees a Libertarian, Ron Paul supporter who supports the abolition of the IRS as a threat to his liberties. Something tells me he is going to have a very limited pool of potential allies given that fact.
webhick

Post by webhick »

RyanMcC wrote:I didn't realise "Show me the law" meant "Show me the law so I can issue a veiled death threat against you".
What happened to your copy of the Illuminati Dictionary: Quatloosian Edition? If you've lost it, just walk into your local bookstore and ask for the Llama book. When they hand you a copy of "Learning Perl", put a hand over one eye and insist they give you the "Other" Llama book.

Arrggghh.