Exaggerations in the Brown case? Never...

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Imalawman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:New letter from the Dogwalker.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/471651/Letter ... ain-Singal
Wow, that's not going to go over well.
I think judges have thicker skins than that.

I also think that judges usually spend their time on matters that require a decision by them. The letter doesn't ask for any relief, so there's actually nothing for the judge to do with the letter. And it's a ex parte communication from a party with a lawyer, so the judge might do nothing more than see that the prosecutor and defense lawyer get copies and then forget about it until it becomes relevant to a decision that needs to be made by the judge.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

First, thanks for the info above. That is great....totally unencumbered by the facts or the law....but great.

On Danny's letter, I am starting to think he probably should get a competency hearing. I was sort of holding the whole lot in equal disdain, but this poor guy is obviously delusional. Makes you wonder if he doesn't believe entirely that federal agents told him that they realized there was no law making individuals liable for income tax but didn't care.

A nice psych lock up might be the best option for him.
ErsatzAnatchist

Post by ErsatzAnatchist »

CaptainKickback wrote: Do not be surprised when the court orders a psych evaluation on DR (and Reno and the others as well) to see if they are actually competent (in the mental and legal sense) to stand trial. And do not be surprised if the medicos determine that they are not competent.
The funny thing is that DR will probably try to avoid having a competency hearing. After all, there is no doubt in his mind that he is sane. :roll: To state otherwise might have a serious negative effect on his self-image.
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

Sounds like a textbook case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusional_disorder
The patient expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force.

That idea appears to exert an undue influence on his or her life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent.

Despite his profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the patient is questioned about it.

The individual tends to be humorless and oversensitive, especially about the belief.

There is a quality of centrality: no matter how unlikely it is that these strange things are happening to him, the patient accepts them relatively unquestioningly.

An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility.

The belief is, at the least, unlikely.

The patient is emotionally over-invested in the idea and it overwhelms other elements of his psyche (psychology).

The delusion, if acted out, often leads to behaviors which are abnormal and/or out of character, although perhaps understandable in the light of the delusional beliefs.

Individuals who know the patient will observe that his belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien.
ErsatzAnatchist

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:Sounds like a textbook case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusional_disorder
The patient expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force.

That idea appears to exert an undue influence on his or her life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent.

Despite his profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the patient is questioned about it.

The individual tends to be humorless and oversensitive, especially about the belief.

There is a quality of centrality: no matter how unlikely it is that these strange things are happening to him, the patient accepts them relatively unquestioningly.

An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility.

The belief is, at the least, unlikely.

The patient is emotionally over-invested in the idea and it overwhelms other elements of his psyche (psychology).

The delusion, if acted out, often leads to behaviors which are abnormal and/or out of character, although perhaps understandable in the light of the delusional beliefs.

Individuals who know the patient will observe that his belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien.
The part in red seems to be a bit of an understatement.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Disilloosianed wrote:First, thanks for the info above. That is great....totally unencumbered by the facts or the law....but great.

On Danny's letter, I am starting to think he probably should get a competency hearing. I was sort of holding the whole lot in equal disdain, but this poor guy is obviously delusional. Makes you wonder if he doesn't believe entirely that federal agents told him that they realized there was no law making individuals liable for income tax but didn't care.

A nice psych lock up might be the best option for him.
All of this reminds me of a Groucho Marx quote from Duck Soup:
Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot, and look like an idiot, but don’t let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

LPC wrote:
Imalawman wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:New letter from the Dogwalker.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/471651/Letter ... ain-Singal
Wow, that's not going to go over well.
I think judges have thicker skins than that.

I also think that judges usually spend their time on matters that require a decision by them. The letter doesn't ask for any relief, so there's actually nothing for the judge to do with the letter. And it's a ex parte communication from a party with a lawyer, so the judge might do nothing more than see that the prosecutor and defense lawyer get copies and then forget about it until it becomes relevant to a decision that needs to be made by the judge.
That was my first thought, it would be dismissed rather quickly and nothing much would come of it. However, Mr. Riley, is insulting the judge from the outset and never let's up. Throughout his tirade he hails himself as the next Nathan Hale and calls the judge a disgrace to America. I'm not so sure the judge is going to forget that Mr. Riley called him "captain" or dismiss it lightly. But that's just my opinion.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

George Z. Singal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Z. Singal (b. 1945) is currently a Chief United States District Judge for the District of Maine. He is only the fifteenth person to hold that position.

Singal was appointed by President Clinton in 2001 to fill the vacancy created by the death of Judge Morton Brody. Born in an Italian refugee camp in 1944, Judge Singal is a naturalized American citizen. His family emigrated to Bangor, ME in 1948, where he lived and practiced law until his appointment to the Court. He is a graduate of the University of Maine and the Harvard Law School.
Demo.
Joey Smith
Infidel Enslaver

Post by Joey Smith »

I thought that Danny Riley was dead already. Wasn't he shot something like 37 times?
- - - - - - - - - - -
"The real George Washington was shot dead fairly early in the Revolution." ~ David Merrill, 9-17-2004 --- "This is where I belong" ~ Heidi Guedel, 7-1-2006 (referring to suijuris.net)
- - - - - - - - - - -
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

He got better!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Wikipedia wrote: George Z. Singal (b. 1945) is currently a Chief United States District Judge for the District of Maine. He is only the fifteenth person to hold that position.

Singal was appointed by President Clinton in 2001 to fill the vacancy created by the death of Judge Morton Brody. Born in an Italian refugee camp in 1944, Judge Singal is a naturalized American citizen. His family emigrated to Bangor, ME in 1948, where he lived and practiced law until his appointment to the Court. He is a graduate of the University of Maine and the Harvard Law School.
An excellent example of the reason to 100% trust Wikipedia.
gezco

Post by gezco »

Joey Smith wrote:I thought that Danny Riley was dead already. Wasn't he shot something like 37 times?
Anyone who can ride “an hour in 20 minutes” can survive 37 gun shot wounds. I wish I could drive an hour in 20 minutes, that would cut my commute time by 1/3.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

LPC wrote: I think judges have thicker skins than that.

Riley bought himself a one-way ticket to the maximum sentence possible, as well as a competency hearing.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
ErsatzAnatchist

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
LPC wrote: I think judges have thicker skins than that.

Riley bought himself a one-way ticket to the maximum sentence possible, as well as a competency hearing.
Don't you think that the judge will be under some internal pressure to not whack DR too hard for fear that it will appear that he is going hard on DR because of him insulting the judge? The result may be just the opposite. In an effort to appear fair, Captain Singal may give him a more modest sentence that he otherwise deserves.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

The sentence will be based on the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, on input from the pre-sentencing investigation, and all the defined aggravating and mitigating factors.

Unless Dannie cleans up his act SIGNIFICANTLY before that happens, his behavior and blatant disregard for authority will be one of the factors considered.

But, isn't it a tad premature to be discussing sentencing? After all, there's still the presumption of innocence, even when a moron has done everything but flat-out confess and plead guilty.
ErsatzAnatchist

I think we are all back seat driving for his real lawyer, who no doubt is considering sentencing. :lol:
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

ErsatzAnatchist wrote:I think we are all back seat driving for his real lawyer, who no doubt is considering sentencing. :lol:
Or is considering how he too can jump ship.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Hurray for Captain Singal, the black robed fascist mason!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

grixit wrote:Hurray for Captain Singal, the black robed fascist mason!
Did someone call me Jason?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff