6th Circuit rules on Conces

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

6th Circuit rules on Conces

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

Footnote 10 of the opinion contains the following statement by the court:
While Conces suggests that the various appellate court rulings rejecting his position are contrary to the relevant Supreme Court precedents, this panel nonetheless is bound to follow the prior published decisions of this court, without regard for whether they might be mistaken in their reading of the Supreme Court's decisions.
(bolding added).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I'm going to put that down to inartful drafting.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

I assumed the court was saying that review of previously published opinions is done only by the full court, not by a 3 judge panel. If any 3 judge panel could reverse a decision of any other 3 judge panel, the law in the 6th Circuit could come to resemble a Wikipedia article.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

My favorite parts of the ruling:
through semantic quibbles about the meaning of straightforward terms
That language I think could be in the opinion for Blowhard PH's appeal in the same court.

And
13Apart from the Lawmen website at issue in this case, we understand that other websites in the nether regions
of the Internet advocate this same tactic — i.e., demanding that federal judges establish their jurisdiction by producing
copies of various oaths — as well as more generally urging litigants, particularly in tax cases, to challenge the authority
of federal judges. We do not wish to dignify or draw undue attention to such websites by naming them here. We
hope, nonetheless, that our opinion in this case will help speed the demise of this particular “urban legend.”
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

The one time I actually had the misfortune of litigating against a patriot-type loony, he filed some papers claiming that the judge was an "impostor" because he had no oath "on file." The judge said, "I took the oath in the ceremonial courtroom in this courthouse. Lots of people heard me take it. I take judicial notice of the fact that I am a judge. Denied."
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Wonder if this signals an end to the "other" case in the 6th Circuit?
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Quixote wrote:
I assumed the court was saying that review of previously published opinions is done only by the full court, not by a 3 judge panel. If any 3 judge panel could reverse a decision of any other 3 judge panel, the law in the 6th Circuit could come to resemble a Wikipedia article.
Yes, and the court could have expressed itself more clearly by bluntly stating (1) that Conces is incorrect, (2) that the various appeals court decisions are not "mistaken" in their reading of the Supreme Court's decisions (apparently in connection with the frivolous argument that the Government lacks the authority to tax individual income), and (3) that no Federal court has ever held that the Government lacks the authority to tax individual income.