Von NotHaus and basic economics

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
SteveSy

Re: Von NotHaus and basic economics

Post by SteveSy »

The Operative wrote:
silversopp wrote:
Famspear wrote: And even to the extent that money (such as a Federal Reserve note) can be considered debt, it is a debt owed ONLY by the government, or by the Federal Reserve System, or by whichever Federal Reserve Bank issued the money or note, etc. The HOLDER of the note does not "owe" a "debt."
I agree with you that an FRN is not really a debt. However, you stopped just short in your analysis.

If a debt is owed by the government, it is a debt owed by the people. Government pays off its debts through the taxes, which we all pay.

Whenever a school board or a city wants to raise money by issuing a bond, you will almost always see them advertise it as "not raising taxes." While it's true that the issuance of the bond doesn't raise taxes, when the bond matures, taxes will then have to raised to pay it off.

If the US Government, for some reason I can't think of, had to pay up it's debt that the FRNs represent - the taxpayers would be ultimately responsible for paying that off.
And you have stopped short of how it actually works. Printed FRNs are a liability to the Federal Reserve, i.e. a debt of the Federal Reserve. However, that is why the Federal Reserve is required to have U.S. Government securities equal to or in greater amounts than the number of FRNs outstanding. If the Federal Reserve was dissolved by Congress, the FRNs would become a liability of the U.S. Government, but the U.S. Government securities would become assets of the government. Those securities would never have to be repaid, so $800 to $900 billion in debt would disappear and the liability of the FRNs would take its place. Therefore, the FRNs don't represent any additional debt over the current U.S. Government debt.
:shock:

No that's not how it would work. The Federal Reserve is really 12 regional private banks. The Federal reserve will be the federal reserve regardless if congress wants to use the federal reserve or not to mange monetary policy. They couldn't abolish the Federal Reserve any more than they could abolish Walmart.

Those securities are held by private banks, the government can't just claim them as assets and not pay them, that would destroy the government credit rating right off the bat and the securities would be worthless. Not to mention the banks work globally and would surely retaliate...the outcome would be devastating for the spend thrift government and the national economy.

Besides the securities are back by taxes and taxes alone. The U.S. government doesn't hold 9 trillion in tangible assets. Holding an IOU with you as the beneficiary is meaningless. That's why the Social Security trust fund is meaningless.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

SteveSy wrote: The Federal Reserve is really 12 regional private banks. The Federal reserve will be the federal reserve regardless if congress wants to use the federal reserve or not to mange monetary policy. They couldn't abolish the Federal Reserve any more than they could abolish Walmart.
All I can say is "Wow".
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

SteveSy wrote: No that's not how it would work. The Federal Reserve is really 12 regional private banks. The Federal reserve will be the federal reserve regardless if congress wants to use the federal reserve or not to mange monetary policy. They couldn't abolish the Federal Reserve any more than they could abolish Walmart.

Those securities are held by private banks, the government can't just claim them as assets and not pay them, that would destroy the government credit rating right off the bat and the securities would be worthless. Not to mention the banks work globally and would surely retaliate...the outcome would be devastating for the spend thrift government and the national economy.

Besides the securities are back by taxes and taxes alone. The U.S. government doesn't hold 9 trillion in tangible assets. Holding an IOU with you as the beneficiary is meaningless. That's why the Social Security trust fund is meaningless.
ROFLMAO! Steve, on this you are absolutely clueless. Congress created the Federal Reserve system by enacting a law and Congress can dissolve all 12 Federal Reserve district banks and their 25 branches by passing another one. The Federal Reserve is setup under Title 12 U.S.C. Chapter 3.

Those 12 district banks are setup to be INDEPENDENT of the government, but they are not privately owned. In certain circumstances, they have been held by the courts to be private entities, i.e. the Federal Tort Claims Act, but those same courts have held the district banks to be federal instrumentalities in others.

BTW, I didn't say that the Federal Government wouldn't pay on all securities if the Federal Reserve was dissolved. I said the securities held by the Federal Reserve would become the property of the government if the Federal Reserve was dissolved and only those wouldn't have to be paid. Either that, or the government would simply sell a new security to itself each time one became due.

I got a question for you Steve. If the Federal Reserve banks are private banks, what do you think is done with the interest earned on the U.S. Government securities held by the Federal Reserve? I'll be waiting.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: understandable

Post by wserra »

UGA Lawdog wrote:if you were good at math, you'd be studying medicine or engineering, not law.
Engineering?

A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer set out to prove the proposition that all odd numbers are prime - which is, of course, absurd. The mathematician's proof: 1 is odd and prime, 3 is odd and prime, 5 is odd and prime, 7 is odd and prime, therefore, by induction, all odd numbers are prime. The physicist's proof: 1 is odd and prime, 3 is odd and prime, 5 is odd and prime, 7 is odd and prime, 9 is ... an experimental error. The engineer's proof: 1 is odd and prime, 3 is odd and prime, 5 is odd and prime, 7 is odd and prime, 9 is odd and prime, 11 is odd and prime, 13 is odd and prime . . . .
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer set out to prove the proposition that all odd numbers are prime - which is, of course, absurd. The mathematician's proof: 1 is odd and prime, 3 is odd and prime, 5 is odd and prime, 7 is odd and prime, therefore, by induction, all odd numbers are prime. The physicist's proof: 1 is odd and prime, 3 is odd and prime, 5 is odd and prime, 7 is odd and prime, 9 is ... an experimental error. The engineer's proof: 1 is odd and prime, 3 is odd and prime, 5 is odd and prime, 7 is odd and prime, 9 is odd and prime, 11 is odd and prime, 13 is odd and prime . . . .
A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer all went to the race track one day to spend the day playing the ponies, and decided that they would each use their own methods and would compare notes at the end of the day.

When they met, they discovered that the engineer and the physicist had both lost money, while the mathematician had won a sizeable amount. They each explained their methods:

The physicist had read up on the weight, muscle mass, and bone length of each horse, and had bet based on what seemed to be the optimal leverage of muscle being converted to forward energy. His horses consistently lost.

The engineer did a statistical analysis of each horse's performance in past races, taking into account the length of the course, wind speed, time of day, and the jockey's record. His horses also lost consistently.

So they both turned to the mathematician, who explained that, "First, I imagined that each horse was a perfect, massless, sphere...."
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

Dezcad wrote:
SteveSy wrote: The Federal Reserve is really 12 regional private banks. The Federal reserve will be the federal reserve regardless if congress wants to use the federal reserve or not to mange monetary policy. They couldn't abolish the Federal Reserve any more than they could abolish Walmart.
All I can say is "Wow".
I would have used a four-letter word.

Or maybe a five-letter wording starting with "idio..." or "moro..."
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

UGA Lawdog wrote:if you were good at math, you'd be studying medicine or engineering, not law.
Or, you were good at math and:

1. Made bad career choices;

2. Got bored with medicine or engineering; or

3. Thought lawyers made more money than engineers (Medicine? What does medicine have to do with math?); or

4. Noticed that there were more women in the pre-law courses; or ...[/quote]
Dan Evans
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

The Operative wrote:ROFLMAO! Steve, on this you are absolutely clueless. Congress created the Federal Reserve system by enacting a law and Congress can dissolve all 12 Federal Reserve district banks and their 25 branches by passing another one. The Federal Reserve is setup under Title 12 U.S.C. Chapter 3.
The entire thing is commercially owned. If the government repealed the act tomorrow the banks would lose monetary control but the banks would still exist, they are federally chartered corporations, but a corporation none the less. Their stock is 100% held by other private commercial bank. The number of directors selected at each regional bank gives the commercial banks the majority 6-3 vote. The Board of Governors is appointed by the President and approved by the Senate but those nominees come from the suggestion of the regional banks. Once appointed they are there for up to 14 years if they desire and can not be removed by the President or congress. The government isn't going to end the Fed, more importantly congress has no control over anything the banks do, at most congress gets an update of what's happening. The government could if it wanted not renew their charter as Jackson once did but the banks would not just end they would just be reformed due to the fact that the regional bank's stock is commercially owned anyway. In Jackson's time the chartered bank had much less control than they do now. Go back and look how tough it was when he refused to renew the charter. Now it would be devastation.

You act as if the government has all this control when they really have none.

You asked where the interest goes, well anything beyond operating expenses is returned to the treasury...yes that sounds great until you realize the operating expense, which include services provided by private banks, also includes a 6% dividend back to the stockholders who are, yes, commercial banks. The private banks are making big bucks. The government has no control the banks have it all.

As far as saying I'm clueless....sure, when you said the government could just take their treasury securities from the Fed, have them for assets, and those securities would never have to be repaid topped the cake. I have no worries about outdoing your cluelessness. :lol: The government doesn't own nor controls the banks that have possession of those securities.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

(sigh . . .) SteveSy wrote:
The entire thing is commercially owned.
Wrong. The Federal Reserve System has both governmental and private components. The Board of Governors is a government agency. The private member banks are private. You can argue back and forth about whether the twelve Federal Reserve Banks themselves are private, governmental, quasi-private, quasi-governmental, or whatever. I don't care. But obviously, "the entire thing" (if you mean the Federal Reserve System) is not commercially owned.

SteveSy wrote:
Once appointed they [the members of the Board of Governors] are there for up to 14 years if they desire and can not be removed by the President or congress
No, wrong. Obviously not. Members of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are removable by the President "for cause." See 12 USC 242.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Famspear wrote:(sigh . . .) SteveSy wrote:
The entire thing is commercially owned.
Wrong. The Federal Reserve System has both governmental and private components. The Board of Governors is a government agency. The private member banks are private. You can argue back and forth about whether the twelve Federal Reserve Banks themselves are private, governmental, quasi-private, quasi-governmental, or whatever. I don't care. But obviously, "the entire thing" (if you mean the Federal Reserve System) is not commercially owned.
Well since the president only appoints people who have no ownership in anything I would say I'm correct. Admittedly it might appear misleading because ownership gives the idea that its completely run, without third party intervention, by the owners but none the less my statement is technically correct. Maybe you know of something the government owns that's part of the Federal Reserve. I'll gladly retract my statement if you can provide anything to show I'm wrong.
SteveSy wrote:
Once appointed they [the members of the Board of Governors] are there for up to 14 years if they desire and can not be removed by the President or congress
No, wrong. Obviously not. Members of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are removable by the President "for cause." See 12 USC 242.
Ok....lol

They can't be removed for not doing what the government wants...how about that.
Last edited by SteveSy on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

After humiliating himself for the umpteenth time with his clueless pontifications, Steve writes:
Ok....lol

That's your answer, Stevie?

That's what I thought.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Famspear wrote:After humiliating himself for the umpteenth time with his clueless pontifications, Steve writes:
Ok....lol

That's your answer, Stevie?

That's what I thought.
The only person who is being humiliated are the total idiots that are responding to my posts like yourself.

I guess I may have over looked those 5 words. Regardless, you found a small error in the overall post. The control is still in the hands of the banks and the nominees are provided by the private banks for the president to get approved by congress. If you want to compare that to one of your brethren who claims the government can take its securities from the regional banks and use them as assets go right a head.
Last edited by SteveSy on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

SteveSy wrote:
Well since the president only appoints people who have no ownership in anything I would say I'm correct. Admittedly it might appear misleading because ownership gives the idea that its completely run, without third party intervention, by the owners but none the less my statement is technically correct. Maybe you know of something the government owns that's part of the Federal Reserve. I'll gladly retract my statement if you can provide anything to show I'm wrong.
I've already demonstrated that you were wrong, so there's no need to do it again. Your statement is technically incorrect, substantively incorrect, procedurally incorrect and just plain erroneous. Neither I nor anyone else here is requesting that you "retract your statement." It's too late for that now.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

SteveSy continues to rant:
Are you claiming that you got me because of the part in blue? Where's the "for cause" crap you're referring to?
Stevie-poo, I think you need to go to bed and get some rest. Read the rest of the sentence. You know, the part after the "blue part"?

Steve continues to rant:
Man you really are an anal retentive idiot if that's the case. Where or where does it say they can be removed for not doing what the government wants?
Stevie, you're the one who brought up this thing about somebody being "removed for not doing what the government wants", not me. So why are you asking me where this mysterious language is found?

Can't you even keep straight who raised what issue? Can't you finish a sentence. You yourself posted the statute.

DUHHHHHH.
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Famspear wrote:SteveSy continues to rant:
Are you claiming that you got me because of the part in blue? Where's the "for cause" crap you're referring to?
Stevie-poo, I think you need to go to bed and get some rest. Read the rest of the sentence. You know, the part after the "blue part"?

Steve continues to rant:
Man you really are an anal retentive idiot if that's the case. Where or where does it say they can be removed for not doing what the government wants?
Stevie, you're the one who brought up this thing about somebody being "removed for not doing what the government wants", not me. So why are you asking me where this mysterious language is found?

Can't you even keep straight who raised what issue? Can't you finish a sentence. You yourself posted the statute.

DUHHHHHH.
I guess I may have over looked those 5 words. Regardless, you found a small error in the overall post. The control is still in the hands of the banks and the nominees are provided by the private banks for the president to get approved by the Senate. If you want to compare that to one of your brethren who claims the government can take its securities from the regional banks and use them as assets go right a head, that's far more erroneous and idiotic than anything I've ever said

If that's the best you got then I'm not to worried....maybe you can catch me on a period I missed or misspelled word next time.
Last edited by SteveSy on Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Steve, I think Dan posted something in a thread a while back about the old saying: If you are going to strike the King, make sure you kill him.

You were so busy ranting and raving and name calling that you did it to yourself - yet again.

You have made my day. Again.
SteveSy

Post by SteveSy »

Famspear wrote:Steve, I think Dan posted something in a thread a while back about the old saying: If you are going to strike the King, make sure you kill him.

You were so busy ranting and raving and name calling that you did it to yourself - yet again.

You have made my day. Again.
I'm too busy naming calling, give me a break that all you guys do.

I admitted my mistake unlike any of you have. You'll go to the death making an ass out of yourself the entire way. Go look at the thread in Ranting and Raving as an example.... people are actually trying to claim laws created almost 50 years ago, and not the one's currently on the books, are what the SC is referring to when they use the word "commonly", can't get much more idiotic than that.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

SteveSy wrote:The entire thing is commercially owned. If the government repealed the act tomorrow the banks would lose monetary control but the banks would still exist, they are federally chartered corporations, but a corporation none the less. Their stock is 100% held by other private commercial bank.
The Federal Reserve district banks are setup SIMILAR to corporations but the stock "ownership" does not confer any rights of ownership beyond the par value of the stock.
SteveSy wrote:The number of directors selected at each regional bank gives the commercial banks the majority 6-3 vote.
While it is true that 6 out of 9 board of directors for each district bank are elected by the member banks, there are specific rules regarding those selected directors. Those six directors that are elected by the member banks cannot be officers, directors, or employees of ANY bank. Three of the six cannot even be shareholders in ANY bank. Each member bank can only nominate TWO directors. Each member bank gets ONE vote per seat regardless of how many shares they have subscribed to. Additionally, all directors are subject to the approval of the Board of Governors.
SteveSy wrote:The Board of Governors is appointed by the President and approved by the Senate but those nominees come from the suggestion of the regional banks. Once appointed they are there for up to 14 years if they desire and can not be removed by the President or congress.
Famspear has already pointed out how wrong you are about that.
SteveSy wrote:The government isn't going to end the Fed,...
I never said they would. I said they could. However, many Ron Paul supporter claim he would end the Federal Reserve.
SteveSy wrote: ...more importantly congress has no control over anything the banks do, at most congress gets an update of what's happening.
Congress gets formal annual updates and the GAO performs certain types of audits and inspections. Full financial audits are performed by independent auditors. Congress could pass legislation that would give them more direct control, but the Federal Reserve was setup the way it was to provide a certain amount of independence. Do you really think politicians would make sound economic decisions?
SteveSy wrote:The government could if it wanted not renew their charter as Jackson once did but the banks would not just end they would just be reformed due to the fact that the regional bank's stock is commercially owned anyway.
The Federal Reserve Act was originally written with a time limit, similar to the act that created the First Bank of the U.S. and the Second Bank of the U.S., however, legislation by Congress in 1927 removed the time limit. Do you know who proposed that legislation? Congressman Lewis T. McFadden

However, as I mentioned before, the stock subscription to the district banks do not confer any rights of ownership. Also, national banks, like Bank of America, N.A., don't have any choice whether or not to subscribe to Federal Reserve stock. The amount they MUST subscribe to is set BY LAW to 3% of their paid-in capital with an additional 3% subject to call by the Board of Governors. If a member bank has a reduction in their paid-in capital, they must SURRENDER the additional shares they hold above the 3% of their new paid-in capital amount. If a member bank has an increase in their paid-in capital, they must subscribe to additional shares. State banks can choose whether or not to become members of the system if they meet certain requirements. However, to become a member bank, the stock subscription is a requirement of that membership.

If a member bank liquidates, they are required to SURRENDER their shares back to the district bank. The district bank pays the liquidated bank back the amount of the subscription plus any unpaid dividend. Beyond that, the member banks do not have any rights to any assets of the district banks or of the Federal Reserve system.
SteveSy wrote:In Jackson's time the chartered bank had much less control than they do now. Go back and look how tough it was when he refused to renew the charter. Now it would be devastation.
On that, we can agree. As I mentioned, I said Congress COULD dissolve the Federal Reserve. I never said they would and I never said it would be smart.
SteveSy wrote:You act as if the government has all this control when they really have none.
You act as if the member banks have all this control when, in reality, they have none.
SteveSy wrote:You asked where the interest goes, well anything beyond operating expenses is returned to the treasury...
Well, at least you got something right.
SteveSy wrote:yes that sounds great until you realize the operating expense, which include services provided by private banks, also includes a 6% dividend back to the stockholders who are, yes, commercial banks. The private banks are making big bucks.
That dividend is very small compared to the amount of interest returned to the Treasury. BTW, the purpose of that dividend is to compensate the member banks for having to tie up a portion of their capital in the district banks. All corporations, not just commercial banks, use their capital to hopefully generate profit. Banks who become members of the Federal Reserve system are required to give up the use of some of that capital. The 6% annual dividend is to compensate them for the loss of the use of that capital. BTW, I don't have the exact numbers, but the average dividend paid to a member bank was about $300 thousand.
SteveSy wrote:As far as saying I'm clueless....sure, when you said the government could just take their treasury securities from the Fed, have them for assets, and those securities would never have to be repaid topped the cake. I have no worries about outdoing your cluelessness. :lol: The government doesn't own nor controls the banks that have possession of those securities.
I stand by my statement.
Last edited by The Operative on Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
LPC

Post by LPC »

SteveSy wrote:I admitted my mistake unlike any of you have.
Speaking for myself, I really don't give a flying f**k whether or not you admit your mistakes.

What I *would* like is for you to shut up when you've been shown to be wrong, instead of trying to rationalize your ignorance/stupidity.
Dan Evans
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

What I *would* like is for you to shut up when you've been shown to be wrong, instead of trying to rationalize your ignorance/stupidity.
Sybil shut up when proven wrong?

:P :P :P

Dream on. His favorite pasttime is digging his hole ever deeper, regardless of topic, amount of justified ridicule or degree of his ineluctable obtusity.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.