Allegations at Oral Roberts University

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Allegations at Oral Roberts University

Post by Famspear »

Downloaded on Thursday, November 22, 2007

From the Associated Press

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j9XJ ... QD8T2BTUO0

Oral Roberts Accountant Sues Over Firing

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS
TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A senior accountant for Oral Roberts University claims in a lawsuit filed Wednesday that he was ordered to help school president Richard Roberts and his wife "cook the books" by hiding financial wrongdoing from authorities and the public.

Trent Huddleston said in the wrongful termination lawsuit that he was directed against his will to falsely list tens of thousands of dollars as expenses rather than assets — which were spent remodeling the home of Richard and Lindsay Roberts — in order to defraud the Internal Revenue Service and other agencies.

He claims nearly $123,000 was paid by Oral Roberts University and Oral Roberts Ministries for remodeling the home.

The suit said Huddleston "was improperly and unlawfully directed to perform functions and duties in violation of state and federal law in an effort by the defendants to 'cook the books' and hide from the appropriate authorities and the public the continued wrongdoing, improper and illegal conduct of the defendants, and in particular, of Richard and Lindsay Roberts."

University spokesman Jeremy Burton said the university is reviewing the allegations and had no further comment. Roberts, who has been on temporary leave while an outside probe into the school's finances, has denied wrongdoing.

The suit seeks more than $20,000 in actual and punitive damages.

Huddleston claims he was discharged on the day an audit was to take place. The audit was ordered by the school's regents two weeks after three professors brought a wrongful termination lawsuit against the university accusing Roberts of misusing school funds to support a lavish lifestyle.

Two students also sued Wednesday in district court. Cornell Cross II and David Brown claim the wrongful termination of the three professors ruined the reputation of their degrees.

The lawsuits come after more than 80 percent of the faculty voted this week against Roberts continuing as president at the 5,700-student school.
[some bolding added by Famspear]
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

What? An evangelical lining his pockets? Wow....what's this world coming to?
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

A new development:
Embattled Oral Roberts President Resigns

By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS, Associated Press Writer

Friday, November 23, 2007

The president of Oral Roberts University facing accusations he misspent school funds to support a lavish lifestyle resigned on Friday, officials said.

Richard Roberts' resignation is effective immediately, according to a statement e-mailed from George Pearsons, chairman of the school's Board of Regents.

Roberts and the university have come under fire since a lawsuit was filed by three former professors last month.

The lawsuit includes allegations of a $39,000 shopping tab at one store for Richard Roberts' wife, Lindsay, a $29,411 Bahamas senior trip on the university jet for one of Roberts' daughters, and a stable of horses for the Roberts children.

Roberts, son of school founder and televangelist Oral Roberts, had been on temporary leave from the evangelical university, fighting the accusations against him. The board of regents had ordered an outside probe of the school's finances.

In a recent interview, Roberts and his wife denied wrongdoing.

Roberts has said the lawsuit amounted to "intimidation, blackmail and extortion."

On Friday, he said in the statement that he loved the university. He became president in 1993. "I love ORU with all my heart," he said in the statement. "I love the students, faculty, staff and administration and I want to see God's best for all of them."

ORU spokesman Jeremy Burton said the school would not provide additional comment until next week. A message left for Roberts' personal attorney wasn't immediately returned.

Gary Richardson, the attorney for the three professors, said, "those who have seen what we have seen won't have any surprise about the fact that Richard has stepped down." He later said, "There was no option, period."

One of the plaintiffs, John Swails, said Roberts "could have spared the university and the students by going ahead and stepping down and admitting his wrongdoing."

The professors also alleged in their lawsuit that Richard Roberts required students in a government class to work on 2006 mayoral candidate Randi Miller's campaign.

Roberts publicly endorsed Miller, but said then that he was doing so as a private citizen and not as an ORU representative. He has denied the lawsuit's claims that he ordered students to work on Miller's campaign.

Professor Tim Brooker, one of the lawsuit plaintiffs, accused the school of forcing him to quit after he warned Roberts that requiring students to work on Miller's campaign jeopardized ORU's tax-exempt status.

In the weeks since that lawsuit was filed, others have cropped up, including one from a former senior accountant who alleged that the Robertses ordered him to help them hide improper and illegal financial wrongdoing from the authorities and the public.

"This is good news for the university," said Donald Vance, a professor of biblical languages and literature. "It's time for the Board of Regents to step forward with a strong choice, and I hope they will involve the tenured faculty in the process."

Two weeks ago, Vance joined the majority of tenured faculty in a vote of "no confidence" in Richard Roberts as president, regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit.

Cornell Cross II, a senior government major, said the resignation is "an excellent step to fix the university," but believes the school's most trying days lie ahead.

"This is not over, there a lot of things that need to continue," Cross said. "The culture of fear that has been allowed to fester at ORU has to be looked into.

"We still haven't heard any admission of wrongdoing or any kind of humility or contrition," he said.

The school's regents will meet Monday and Tuesday to determine action in the search process for a new president, Pearsons said in the statement.

Executive Regent Billy Joe Daugherty will assume the president's administrative responsibilities, working with Oral Roberts until the regents' meeting, the statement said.

Former ORU regent Harry McNevin, who quit the board in 1987 because of the misspending he alleged he witnessed, called the resignation "inevitable."

"You can't take the sacrifices of God's people and use them any old way," he said. "It's been 20 years that they've been doing the same things that I became aware of."
(bolding added)

see:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 630S41.DTL
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

Careful, if this continues, God might take him home.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:What? An evangelical lining his pockets? Wow....what's this world coming to?
Hanky-panky, too.

Imagine that.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Tammy Faye would be proud.

Frilly custom dog-houses may have been a bit low-rent, but actually were just a faint precursor.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
triumphguy

Oral Roberts

Post by triumphguy »

Back in 1987, when Oral Roberts Sr. announced that if he did not raise $55 million (or however much it was...I forget) by the end of the year God would 'call him home,' all over Tulsa cars sprouted bumper stickers reading 'Oral in Heaven in '87'

Re-engaging lurking device....
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

It was $8M, and as I remember, it was to finish the City of Faith Medical and Research Center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Roberts
In 1977 Roberts claimed to have a vision from a 900-foot-tall Jesus who told him to build City of Faith Medical and Research Center and the hospital would be a success.

In 1980, Roberts said he had a vision which encouraged him to continue the construction of his City of Faith Medical and Research Center, which opened in 1981. At the time, it was among the largest health facilities of its kind in the world and sought to merge prayer and medicine in the healing process. The City of Faith was in operation for only eight years before closing in late 1989. The Orthopedic Hospital of Oklahoma still operates on its premises. In 1983 Roberts said Jesus had appeared to him in person and commissioned him to find a cure for cancer.

In 1987, during a fundraising drive, Roberts announced to a television audience that unless he raised $8 million by that March, God would "call him home" (a euphemism for death). Some were fearful that he was referring to suicide given the passionate pleas and tear that accompanied his statement. He raised $9.1 million.[10] Later that year, he announced that God had raised the dead through Roberts' ministry.
Two other issues of interest: At the dedication of ORU, Billy Graham spoke, and in his address, stated something like, "If God has ordained this university, it will be blessed, and if not, it will be cursed."

Second issue: Lindsay Roberts is the second wife of Richard. The first wife wrote a book in which she accused Oral and his family of the same mishandling of money as alleged now. The accusation included spending $250K on homes and lavish lifestyles. I believe she said Evelyn had objected.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Had not seen this until today.

It looks like someone has stepped forward to help ORU.
Truthstalker

Post by Truthstalker »

900-foot-tall Jesus
I always wondered about that. Why 900 feet and not 1000 feet if he was estimating.
ASITStands
17th Viscount du Voolooh

Post by ASITStands »

Truthstalker wrote:
900-foot-tall Jesus
I always wondered about that. Why 900 feet and not 1000 feet if he was estimating.
There used to be an artist's drawing of a standing Jesus sheltering the hospital in His arms.

The tallest tower of the building is 648 feet "here", so I guess that's why Jesus was 900 feet tall.

Many in the church community thought at the time it was symptomatic of why the vision was unreal. And, of course, supposedly, this Jesus told Roberts it would be a successful hospital also.

So much for Roberts as a prophet.

The significance of someone coming forward to fund ORU shows there are people who want the university to continue. However, I think this scandal will ruin the reputation of the son.

In light of the Grassley investigations [several ORU graduates], this is most interesting.