Rekha Patel loses her house

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Siegfried Shrink
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Rekha Patel loses her house

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

TheHallouminati wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 am . Longlands solicitors is interesting as there is clearly limited capacity for supervision and oversight within the firm.
No capacity, in fact. The Law Society records

Roles at this organisation

SRA-approved manager - Sole Practitioner
Compliance Officer for Legal Practice
Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Siegfried Shrink wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:28 am as a young articled clerk (trainee solicitor) Mr Burton Baddeley decided his name was not posh enough for his intended career so he changed it to I D Burton-Baddeley.
How uncreative. A first initial of I and a last name of "badly" opens all kind of hilarious possibilities. With a little effort, he could be a real-life Sniveling Little Rat-Faced Git.
Siegfried Shrink

I suspect that anyone gauche enough to up-cycle their name may not be in the habit of thinking things through, or not in that way, anyway.

The Grossmith's Mr. Pooter comes to mind.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

It's Boo-Kay!
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
TheHallouminati
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TheHallouminati »

Wrecka's ex-house looking much better than when she had it :haha:
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

TheHallouminati wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 am Wrecka's ex-house looking much better than when she had it :haha:
Wow that is nice, I’d even consider a bid if it wasn’t the wrong side of Manchester.
TheHallouminati
First Mate
First Mate

Don't think it's for sale. These before and after shots are from Failings of FMOTL :arrow:
D-C
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by D-C »

Does the last photo show thackstones?
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

It's hard to tell. The first photo shows the roof only at a shallow angle.

At long last, I looked online to see just what thack stones are. From the Wikipedia article on "Yorkstone":

Known for its hard-wearing and durable qualities, Yorkstone has been used in a wide array of building, construction and landscaping applications around the world for many years. In Yorkshire, split stones called thackstone (Scots thack, English thatch) were employed as roofing.

This reminds me of the slate roofs which were once common in New England, especially in Vermont where many of the slate quarries were located. The problem with these roofs, as I recall, was that the slate often contained iron pyrite crystals; and when these crystals were dissolved by acidity in rain, the roofs tended to spring leaks. Slate roofing is still available; but a quick Google search (slate roofs pro and con) will explain their good and bad points.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Tevildo »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:17 pm It's hard to tell. The first photo shows the roof only at a shallow angle.

At long last, I looked online to see just what thack stones are. From the Wikipedia article on "Yorkstone":

Known for its hard-wearing and durable qualities, Yorkstone has been used in a wide array of building, construction and landscaping applications around the world for many years. In Yorkshire, split stones called thackstone (Scots thack, English thatch) were employed as roofing.

This reminds me of the slate roofs which were once common in New England, especially in Vermont where many of the slate quarries were located. The problem with these roofs, as I recall, was that the slate often contained iron pyrite crystals; and when these crystals were dissolved by acidity in rain, the roofs tended to spring leaks. Slate roofing is still available; but a quick Google search (slate roofs pro and con) will explain their good and bad points.
You know, I'm still not 100% sure what thackstones actually are. See also the photo on Page 24. Are the thackstones the bluish-grey stones attached vertically to the wall of the neighbouring property (so that the original issue was that they were cut in half rather than being removed and replaced), or are the bluish-grey stones the unacceptable replacement?
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

It looks like the bluish-grey things attached vertically to the wall are pieces of flashing (probably, lead). Unless Rekha's house is unusual, thack stones "think "thatch stones") are used for roofing.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:53 pm It looks like the bluish-grey things attached vertically to the wall are pieces of flashing (probably, lead). Unless Rekha's house is unusual, thack stones "think "thatch stones") are used for roofing.
I think they are the famous thack stones. If you look closely at the bottom one you can see that it has depth and is rebated into the wall. Flashing would be cut into the pointing at the top and laid flush against the wall.

TheRambler
Siegfried Shrink

I was under the impression that the purpose of thackstones in a vertical wall was to redirect rainwater from a wall/roof joint to minimise leaks, which is what properly applied flashing does nowadays. The pointed thackstones cause water running down the wall to follow the t/stone surface and then drip clear of the joint.
They have no use in building repairs where flashing can be used. They are just an antique building feature which som3e prize
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

D-C wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:12 am Does the last photo show thackstones?
No. Posted way back in this thread are pictures taken from the council's website from the original report of the planning officer which showed the thackstones. They were removed by Rekha's cowboy builder and replaced with the ugly lead flashing which is now to be seen in the photos.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

It's these

Is it SteveUK or STEVE: of UK?????
TheHallouminati
First Mate
First Mate

Here's a vid of the thackstones back in 2011 on BBC's Britain's Empty Homes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs5A6hsvLMk
D-C
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by D-C »

mufc1959 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:21 pm
D-C wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:12 am Does the last photo show thackstones?
No. Posted way back in this thread are pictures taken from the council's website from the original report of the planning officer which showed the thackstones. They were removed by Rekha's cowboy builder and replaced with the ugly lead flashing which is now to be seen in the photos.
I was talking about the builders bag with the word Thac written on it
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

TheHallouminati wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 am Wrecka's ex-house looking much better than when she had it :haha:
Just having Rekha and her friends away from it improves the aesthetics significantly.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Getting rid of the blue plastic door decoration (£2.99 in Aldi) makes a big positive difference to the kerb appeal!
TheHallouminati
First Mate
First Mate

Well it looks like Miss Patel is working as a year 8 maths teacher in a job share at Londgdendale High School. Wonder if they know she as a criminal record.
http://www.longdendalehighschool.org.uk ... tion/year8