Practical Lawful Dissent FMOTL antics, continued...

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Practical Lawful Dissent FMOTL antics, continued...

Post by notorial dissent »

NYGman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 am Prehaps they should find the laws they want to rely on, before using it as you legal argument. If a thread says something, I would hope that they validate it first, not after they use the position to try to get out of their obligations.
Now why would they want to do that? That would mean they had to actually do a bit of research and maybe actually read something. Not. Going. To. Happen.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

notorial dissent wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:05 am
NYGman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:12 am Prehaps they should find the laws they want to rely on, before using it as you legal argument. If a thread says something, I would hope that they validate it first, not after they use the position to try to get out of their obligations.
Now why would they want to do that? That would mean they had to actually do a bit of research and maybe actually read something. Not. Going. To. Happen.
Problem is, when they do read something they will take it out of context, and not read it in its entirety. Thus even when they do read they cherry pick. They may as well rearrange the words into something else completely.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
notorial dissent

NYGman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 pm
Problem is, when they do read something they will take it out of context, and not read it in its entirety. Thus even when they do read they cherry pick. They may as well rearrange the words into something else completely.
Which is pretty much what they do, and why they continue to fail so spectacularly.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

NYGman wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:15 pmProblem is, when they do read something they will take it out of context, and not read it in its entirety. Thus even when they do read they cherry pick. They may as well rearrange the words into something else completely.
It's worse than that I think. They often don't read the original at all, just parrot what someone claims it says. A classic example was that long "void mortgage deed" thread on CAG where the main culprit Applecart kept quoting Halsbury's Laws of England, then later it turned out that he didn't actually have access to the books. There there's the Goofies favourite "Lord Denning says a promissory note is as good as cash", or the claim that a "Driver" is defined in Blacks as one employed to drive (forgetting the second part of the actual definition given)
longdog

Post by longdog »

See also the Cestui Que Vie Act 1666 which apparently means everybody over seven years old is legally marine salvage, that all law is 'the law of the sea' and numerous other insane nonsense theories.

It's a staggering two whole paragraphs long, freely available on .gov.uk and not one of the nutcases seems to have actually read it. If they did they'd know it's just a mundane act that formalised the provision for declaring missing people dead.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

Employed to drive is fine, at the time a more common meaning was 'used' with no connotation of being paid, as in I used a screwdiver to open a paint tin could be stated as I employed a screwdriver to open a paint tin.

There are many words whose meaning has drifted over the years so the love of out of date sources leads inevitably to any wrong end of the stick being the one that is grabbed.

That CQV act was one of the first misleading law terms I came across, it puzzled me how anything so simple could be so distorted, and I do not think it could be without malice aforethought.
notorial dissent

Ignorance and illiteracy make a powerfully combination for stupid actions.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I wonder what the sovs would do with the word "let" which has reversed itself. 400 years ago it meant "prevent", now it means "allow".
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

grixit wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:46 am I wonder what the sovs would do with the word "let" which has reversed itself. 400 years ago it meant "prevent", now it means "allow".
Other auto-antonyms that may confuse an FOTLer (I've stolen these from the interwebs)

Sanction ‘give official permission or approval for (an action)’ or ‘impose a penalty on.’

Oversight ‘supervision’ or ‘not noticed.’

Cleave ‘to cling to or adhere,’ or ‘to split or sever (something).’

Resign (only works as written) ‘to quit’ or ‘to sign up again.’
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
notorial dissent

Big wurdz!!!! Confusing to the poor things who think(yeah I know) that words can only have one absolute meaning.
longdog

Post by longdog »

Are you all not forgetting the essential caveat to any effective FMOTL document?.. "Words are defined as affaint defines them".
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

grixit wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:46 am I wonder what the sovs would do with the word "let" which has reversed itself. 400 years ago it meant "prevent", now it means "allow".
I think there are two different words.

The one meaning "permit/allow" (or to rent) has the following derivation:
before 900; Middle English leten, Old English lǣtan; cognate with Dutch laten, German lassen, Old Norse lāta, Gothic lētan; akin to Greek lēdeîn to be weary, Latin lassus tired.

The (mostly) archaic one meaning "prevent" has the following derivation:
before 900; Middle English letten (v.), lette (noun; derivative of the v.), Old English lettan (v.), derivative of læt slow, tardy, late; cognate with Old Norse letja to hinder

The second one is still used in tennis and badminton.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

BREAKING NEWS!

Fmotl Simon Lewis is threatening war against the United Kingdom, yes you read that correctly, one man is going to take on the British armed forces!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/388605611 ... %2As%2As-R
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Unfortunately there's always somebody raining on his parade;
Andy Higgins
Do does that mean if you get mugged you won’t call the police or if your house burns down you won’t call the fire brigade or if you get injured you won’t call an ambulance?
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent

Burnaby49 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:10 pm Unfortunately there's always somebody raining on his parade;
Andy Higgins
Do does that mean if you get mugged you won’t call the police or if your house burns down you won’t call the fire brigade or if you get injured you won’t call an ambulance?
:snicker:
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

JimUk1 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm BREAKING NEWS!

Fmotl Simon Lewis is threatening war against the United Kingdom, yes you read that correctly, one man is going to take on the British armed forces!

One of Simon's acolytes has revoked his cititzenship with the requisite Magic Words, among which were "nunc pro tuna".

I guess that he headed off to get a nice sandwich, once he was done writing.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

JimUk1 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 pm BREAKING NEWS!

The Flea That Roared???
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

More like the Amoeba that Roared.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
jonathan01n
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by jonathan01n »

How do Contempt "in the face" of court doesn't need to be in front of the judge , another example is "he" or "she" means both genders in legislation. How can it be like that? Why lawmakers can twist and expand the meaning of words?
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

The preamble to any legislation usually takes care to define any words or usuages where the meaning may be dubious. The specific reason for this is to avoid any quibbles about the meaning of words that may arise later. In my opinion legislators are very careful about settling definitions of words, as anything vague can lead to the immensely expensive Jaffa Cake trial where millions in tax depended on whether a Jaffa Cake was a cake or a biscuit, and the relevant tax legislation had not adequately defined 'cake' and 'biscuit'.

Contempt of court, however phrased simply means ignoring or disobeying any order of the court, effectively any order from the judge, which can range from 'Sit down and be quiet' to 'pay Mr. Bilbo Baggins one million pounds by next Monday' and everything in between. There is no need for the defiance to be actually in the courtroom.

Some people do complain about 'legalese' but all trades have their specific sub-languages, a plumber knows what a Yorkshire is, a shipwright knows a cabin sole from a frame. They are commonly understood words, the jargon of the trade, and none at all are in any way secret or intended to decieve. All you have to do is learn the words and their meanings in the context of their usage. Complaining about 'legalese' is as useless as complaining about plumberese, the remedy is about a day's study to enlarge your vocabulary rather than expecting people to exchange precise and well understood terms for much lengthier plain English versions.

In recent times relics of Norman French and even Latin have largely been replaced by vernacular terms with the same meaning, so pretty well everything now is in English, all you have to do is learn how the words are used in context.