Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Michael (of Bernicia) Waugh, UK bankster-buster

Post by hucknallred »

ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Wait a minute.
Summary THE GREAT BRITISH MORTGAGE SWINDLE is a documentary in which a group of people facing repossession of their properties seek to prove that their mortgage arrangements are fraudulent.
Ah, so they didn't succeed, they just sought to prove their mortgages were fraudulent. :thinking:
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Siegfried Shrink

Post by Siegfried Shrink »

Drat, can't remember our Amazon password. There are seven reviews now, it's a battle of the trolls since they are all either 5 star or 1 star.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

SoLongCeylon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:03 pm The Great British Mortgage Swindle' has been given as 12 rating for its UK release. This means that the last opportunity to censor or ban the film has now passed.
Unless it contained Crawford ****ing goats, censoring a film is not what the BBFC does! They merely advise about what changes are required to obtain the desired category, and then sign off the film at that rating.

All their comments subsequent to the "premiere" would indicate that my original supposition that they hired the cinema direct and that the on-demand tickets haven't sold was correct. :haha:
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
MaritalArtist
First Mate
First Mate

Post by MaritalArtist »

The release date has been put back again. It's now Dec 10th. Maybe they're having trouble making enough copies for all the orders. :lol:
That's right, The Mascara Snake, fast and bulbous! Also, a tin teardrop!
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"First they laughed at us, then they ignored us, then they fought us and now we win."

That's one version of what Loren Collins, in his outstanding book "Bullspotting", calls the "Galileo Gambit", so named because Galileo allegedly received the same treatment.

Carl Sagan, as always, had a masterful response to this gambit" [t]he fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." (pp. 40-41)

Quatloosian old-timers can certainly think of more than a few people who have ventured onto these Quatloosian shores and got laughed at, and who then went away proclaiming that they "won" because of this gambit.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

MaritalArtist wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 pm The release date has been put back again. It's now Dec 10th.
This whole thing now reminds me of Todd Snider's song about the band that refused to play:

https://youtu.be/w0nCbqvBXK0

Or, possibly, Threatin.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 pm "First they laughed at us, then they ignored us, then they fought us and now we win."

That's one version of what Loren Collins, in his outstanding book "Bullspotting", calls the "Galileo Gambit", so named because Galileo allegedly received the same treatment.

Carl Sagan, as always, had a masterful response to this gambit" [t]he fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." (pp. 40-41)

Quatloosian old-timers can certainly think of more than a few people who have ventured onto these Quatloosian shores and got laughed at, and who then went away proclaiming that they "won" because of this gambit.
My favorite rabid hamster Harvester!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Harvey Hamsterdance was definitely one grade A purely bone stupid fool. I keep wondering, in a few spare odd moments, if he has finally gotten his most deeply held wish to become a Federal prisoner on tax fraud/evasion charges.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
TheHallouminati
First Mate
First Mate

Post by TheHallouminati »

hucknallred wrote:
It would seem Amazon reviews differ somewhat from Yootooob & Facebook in that the 2 Michaels can't delete them or reply to them. You also don't have to have made a purchase to leave a review.

Just saying :whistle:
Looks like 63% have given it a 5* review, and just 37% have given it a 1* review....so far.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

A couple more of O'Bernicia's bizarre comments deserve attention:
If as many people who have pre-ordered the TGBMS DVD, had booked tickets to see the film in a UK cinema, every screening on sale in 24 towns and cities would have sold out this week.

However, there is no cause for concern, as A-FP's Cinema-on-Demand platform will continue to sell tickets for screenings in every location, until such time that enough tickets are sold to confirm the dates and venues.
Everybody's buying DVDs instead of going to the theater, but don't worry! We will continue to have theater showings! But only if enough people show up!
Most importantly, those who experience the film in a cinema have the opportunity to enlist void mortgagors for the planned mass applications to cancel every fraudulent mortgage in the charges register; the grounds for which are laid out in the film.
Ignoring the stupidity in thinking this movie is going to start any kind of social movement... I HAVE TO SEE THE MOVIE IN A CINEMA TO PARTICIPATE? Seriously, if I buy the DVD and then volunteer to be a "void mortgagor" (whatever that means) O'Bernicia is going to tell me no?

Why is he so hell-bent on pushing this movie in theaters when there's obviously zero demand? If he really sold 24 theaters' worth of DVDs, that would be a moderate success for a self-produced film. Take what life gives you, man.
How ironic that on the day we received this news, I also received an email from LinkedIn, informing me that somebody at JP Morgan Chase & Co did a search for my name from the company account.

Its reasonable to deduce that news of TGBMS's release has reached the inner sanctum of the banking cartel, members of which stand accused of institutionalized mortgage fraud in the film.
I don't even know where to begin mocking that, except to say that "Michael Waugh" is a common name. In fact, this guy is so irrelevant it'd be hard to find him if you were looking. I typed "Michael Waugh movie" into Google, and he was the 10th unique person found. Behind two musicians, two dead people, a high school student's YouTube video with 6 views (LOL), a university professor, a California chef, and others. O'Bernicia's first mention was on page 4 or 5. And guess what? It was this thread. :snicker:
This emphatically suggests that critical mass for TGBMS will occur on the day it screens within the Square Mile, when the audience will include an array of public figures who are already committed to our cause.
Right, because the cure to poor ticket sales in the suburbs is to move the show to the center of the big city, where there are a million better things to do, and more important "public figures" than Tom Crawford. Like, the doorman at any hotel in that area.
The Great British Mortgage Swindle' has been given as 12 rating for its UK release. This means that the last opportunity to censor or ban the film has now passed.
I'll keep that in mind next time the film is postponed to do "legal edits." Also, in what way is a film with a stricter rating than 12 "censored"? That word doesn't mean what he thinks it means.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

I also received an email from LinkedIn, informing me that somebody at JP Morgan Chase & Co did a search for my name from the company account.
I'm pretty sure LinkedIn doesn't work that way
mufc1959

Post by mufc1959 »

Chaos wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:54 pm
I also received an email from LinkedIn, informing me that somebody at JP Morgan Chase & Co did a search for my name from the company account.
LinkedIn does let people know who's looked at their profile. That's why I don't use it. A couple of people at work have come unstuck by looking at customers' LinkedIn profiles, resulting in complaints by said customers.
Footloose52

Post by Footloose52 »

Well, I've been informed that someone at Northamptonshire Police has viewed my profile. Funnily enough I have a very good idea who it was.
Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot »

mufc1959 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:17 pm LinkedIn does let people know who's looked at their profile. That's why I don't use it. A couple of people at work have come unstuck by looking at customers' LinkedIn profiles, resulting in complaints by said customers.
Amateurs. Only takes 2 mins to create a throwaway account with false details.
"don't be hubris ever..." Steve Mccrae, noted legal ExpertInFuckAll.
notorial dissent

Not so oddly, IT DOESN'T. There is no such function.

I can't count the number of requests I have gotten from other LinkedIn members to connect with my profile. Which is flattering, that is, until I get back to the facts that I DON'T AND NEVER HAVE HAD A LINKEDIN profile. So flattering, not so much. Sort of like all the Faceplant and other media requests I periodically get.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

notorial dissent wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:57 pm

I can't count the number of requests I have gotten from other LinkedIn members to connect with my profile. Which is flattering, that is, until I get back to the facts that I DON'T AND NEVER HAVE HAD A LINKEDIN profile. So flattering, not so much. Sort of like all the Faceplant and other media requests I periodically get.
I get those stupid scam linkedin requests too. I also have no account
morrand

Post by morrand »

Chaos wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:39 pm

It's not an impediment. LinkedIn offers the option to upload your address book to it as a way of making more connections. By "offers," I mean "pushes," and by "making more connections," I mean "spamming your acquaintances, both close and distant, to get them to join LinkedIn." So, they may not quite be scam requests, although they're certainly unwelcome for the most part. (On the other hand, that's how I connected with Ed Zotti of The Straight Dope fame, so it's not so bad for some of us.)

And if you are on, it does email you periodically when someone hits your profile in a search. Not that this means a lot by itself, any more than it means anything that someone found my personal web site in a Google search.

Anyone who's been on LinkedIn figures this out in the first couple of weeks. Waugh's either naive or hoping the audience is.
---
Morrand
notorial dissent

morrand wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 am

It's not an impediment. LinkedIn offers the option to upload your address book to it as a way of making more connections. By "offers," I mean "pushes," and by "making more connections," I mean "spamming your acquaintances, both close and distant, to get them to join LinkedIn." So, they may not quite be scam requests, although they're certainly unwelcome for the most part. (On the other hand, that's how I connected with Ed Zotti of The Straight Dope fame, so it's not so bad for some of us.)

And if you are on, it does email you periodically when someone hits your profile in a search. Not that this means a lot by itself, any more than it means anything that someone found my personal web site in a Google search.

Anyone who's been on LinkedIn figures this out in the first couple of weeks. Waugh's either naive or hoping the audience is.
Under other circumstances, I would agree, except the people sending those requests are no one I know or have any relation or connection to, and let's just say that the ID they are using isn't one "I" use for anything official. So it comes down pretty much to spamming.
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

morrand wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 am

linkedin can offer whatever they want.....to people who are actually signed up to it. I am not. they have no way to get my information.