Random Freemanesque Babblings from idiots unable to sustain their own thread

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Re: Random Freemanesque Babblings from idiots unable to sustain their own thread

Post by Tevildo »

Wakeman52 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 pm Oops! Was trying to distinguish imperial gallons from US - confused by 16 fl oz to a US pint.
That's 16 US fluid ounces (29.57 cc), not 16 Imperial fluid ounces (28.41 cc), just to clarify. :)
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: Random Freemanesque Babblings from idiots unable to sustain their own thread

Post by Burnaby49 »

Tevildo wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:27 pm
Wakeman52 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 pm Oops! Was trying to distinguish imperial gallons from US - confused by 16 fl oz to a US pint.
That's 16 US fluid ounces (29.57 cc), not 16 Imperial fluid ounces (28.41 cc), just to clarify. :)
Quibbles like this are the reason we went metric.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Quibbles like that are the real reason we declared Independence. :snicker:
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I read that the first US law declaring metrification as a goal was before the Civil War. We seem to be taking a leisurely route.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Gregg wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:24 pm Quibbles like that are the real reason we declared Independence. :snicker:
Bunch of tax avoiders. To quote Alex Harvey:
The king has said he's gonna put a tax on tea
And that's the reason you all Americans drink coffee
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I thought the whole flounce out was over an argument about how to make a proper cup of tea?

British Tea
1) Warm tea pot.
2) Add one teaspoon of tea per cup and one for the pot.
3) Pour on freshly boiled water.
4) Leave to brew for 3 minutes then stir the pot once.
5) Pour milk (to taste) into cup.
6) Pour tea through a strainer into cup.

American Tea
1) Take one chest of tea.
2) Throw into harbour.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
longdog

Post by longdog »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:26 am I thought the whole flounce out was over an argument about how to make a proper cup of tea?

British Tea
1) Warm tea pot.

American Tea
2) Throw into harbour.
I'm led to believe by my friends who have been to The Land Of The Free Healthcare Is Communism that they still have no idea how to make tea. Indeed an American acquaintance who married an Englishman says she had no idea what tea was actually meant to taste like until she came to the UK.
JULIAN: I recommend we try Per verulium ad camphorum actus injuria linctus est.
SANDY: That's your actual Latin.
HORNE: What does it mean?
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

longdog wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:58 am
AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:26 am I thought the whole flounce out was over an argument about how to make a proper cup of tea?

British Tea
1) Warm tea pot.

American Tea
2) Throw into harbour.
I'm led to believe by my friends who have been to The Land Of The Free Healthcare Is Communism that they still have no idea how to make tea. Indeed an American acquaintance who married an Englishman says she had no idea what tea was actually meant to taste like until she came to the UK.
I have a British niece-in-law. She has taught her husband how to "make a proper cuppa".
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

I hope it was Yorkshire Tea, or it doesn’t count as a proper brew :P

I was doing a bit of reading about the political situation currently stiffing the U.K. and came across what appears to be a journalist inciting “lawful rebellion”, oh deary me! Talk about the respected profession being dragged through the mud when you see a poorly researched article like this- https://medium.com/@NickAyton/it-is-tim ... eadd05b0aa
When the People invoke Article 61, they are saying quite clearly that they feel they are being governed unjustly. After serving upon the head of state a list of grievances and a time to redress said grievances to no avail, then the choice to enter in to Lawful Rebellion is our last opportunity to rectify the injustice forced upon us. Lawful Rebellion is fully protected by Constitutional Law!”
Hasn’t this journalist been following the exploits of the plucky losers on PLD?

Been a longtime away, but I think I shall go for a pint of Punk Ipa after that one.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I
hope it was Yorkshire Tea, or it doesn’t count as a proper brew
My mother was Yorkshire born and raised. Born 1922 in a slum terrace in Hull and grew up there until she went to Lancashire during the war to get a job in weaving. She made what she considered a Yorkshire tea and drank it incessantly. I could handle, at best, one cup of it. It was almost black and was so strong it was like drinking acid. Two cups of it would leave my stomach upset for the rest of the day.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

Burnaby49 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:41 pm I
hope it was Yorkshire Tea, or it doesn’t count as a proper brew
My mother was Yorkshire born and raised. Born 1922 in a slum terrace in Hull and grew up there until she went to Lancashire during the war to get a job in weaving. She made what she considered a Yorkshire tea and drank it incessantly. I could handle, at best, one cup of it. It was almost black and was so strong it was like drinking acid. Two cups of it would leave my stomach upset for the rest of the day.
Brewed for an hour, and made to suck it through the dish cloth cold, that’s what I remember about growing up in East Hull in the early 80’s, :lol: , whilst the rest of family grew up in the relative poverty of Toronto and Auckland. They don’t know what they missed.

YT is good for one thing, keeping the dentists in business when you need a scale and polish.
Wakeman52

Post by Wakeman52 »

JimUk1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:22 pm

I was doing a bit of reading about the political situation currently stiffing the U.K. and came across what appears to be a journalist inciting “lawful rebellion”, oh deary me! Talk about the respected profession being dragged through the mud when you see a poorly researched article like this- https://medium.com/@NickAyton/it-is-tim ... eadd05b0aa
When the People invoke Article 61, they are saying quite clearly that they feel they are being governed unjustly. After serving upon the head of state a list of grievances and a time to redress said grievances to no avail, then the choice to enter in to Lawful Rebellion is our last opportunity to rectify the injustice forced upon us. Lawful Rebellion is fully protected by Constitutional Law!”
Hasn’t this journalist been following the exploits of the plucky losers on PLD?

I gave up after a few paragraphs. As you say, it's another piece of poorly written (the sentence construction is appalling, never mind the grammar & word choices) material. I'm not even certain that the writer passed English at GCSE level.

On the subject of tea, my mum (from what is now Teeside; in her day it was in North Yorkshire) always bought hers from Ringtons, a firm based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, which AFAIK, still delivers to homes across the North of England.
Our future is like that of the passengers on a small pleasure boat sailing quietly above the Niagara Falls, not knowing that the engines are about to fail. James Lovelock.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

JimUk1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:22 pm I hope it was Yorkshire Tea, or it doesn’t count as a proper brew :P
Well, she's from Lancashire; but I know that she has found sources of good British tea, over here.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
TheRambler

Post by TheRambler »

Wakeman52 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:20 pm

On the subject of tea, my mum (from what is now Teeside; in her day it was in North Yorkshire) always bought hers from Ringtons, a firm based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, which AFAIK, still delivers to homes across the North of England.
Ringtons still deliver Tea (and coffee) in the Esat Midlands.

The Rambler
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

It’s enough to make people ‘T’ total.

And yes, the journalist should be ashamed.
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

TheRambler wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 pm
Wakeman52 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Ringtons still deliver Tea (and coffee) in the Esat Midlands.

The Rambler
Is that Ringtons(?) I remember someone delivering Tea on horse and cart with jams ect when I was a child, actually just googled, think it was the symbol of ringtons that got me confused.
longdog

Post by longdog »

JimUk1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm It’s enough to make people ‘T’ total.
Mrs Doyle. A very Christmassy Ted. :mrgreen:
JULIAN: I dunno - I got it off a bottle of horse rub, but it sounds good, doesn't it?
JimUk1

Post by JimUk1 »

longdog wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm
JimUk1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:34 pm It’s enough to make people ‘T’ total.
Mrs Doyle. A very Christmassy Ted. :mrgreen:
The Teamaster certainly takes the monotony out of tea making, while your Priest navigates the bras and knickers section of MnS :haha:
longdog

Post by longdog »

It's the largest lingerie department in Ireland apparently.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I buy tea online because there's no decent local source. I prefer lapsang souchong and SO prefers darjeeling, so i usually get a pound of each, plus another pound which could be english breakfast, irish breakfast, oolong, keemun, or some other basic. Rules for steeping: first the flavor comes out, then the caffeine, then the tannic acid. We definitely try to avoid stage 3. Short steep, and strain. Then i toss the leaves out to the back where we grow herbs. I drink mine with sugar and lots of canned milk, which my father called "cambric". When i was a child i thought that must mean either fancy, as in serve it on a table with cambric cloths, or maybe "welsh style". But it turns out it just refers to the color.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4